OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 12:30:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Athens’s first official mosque  (Read 2248 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: July 22, 2004, 11:29:59 AM »

Pallini mosque plans finalized

The government said yesterday that it was finalizing plans for the construction of Athens’s first official mosque on the outskirts of the capital, despite protests by the powerful Church of Greece, local residents and Muslims themselves. The mosque, part of a cultural center which has been in the planning stages for many years, is to be funded by the Saudi Arabian government.

Greece had pledged to construct a mosque before the Olympic Games, as there is no official place of worship for Muslims in the capital. This has forced the thousands of Muslims here to congregate in unofficial mosques, such as downtown apartments. The plan to build the mosque at Pallini has been criticized by the Church of Greece, which says that the fact that it is near the airport will give visitors the impression that they have arrived in an Islamic state. Pallini residents, who are mostly Christian, fear that the mosque will change the character of their town. Muslims lament the fact that they will have to travel a long way from the center, where most of them live, in order to worship.

“Today we announce that the necessary, complicated legal and bureaucratic procedures that were needed are in their final stage,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Giorgos Koumoutsakos said. “There is a clear political will, so that these final adjustments can be completed in the immediate future, so that the Islamic Cultural Center can begin to function according to what its charter foresees,” he added.

Koumoutsakos said that the organization that will manage the construction and operation of the center will be a public benefit organization under the control and supervision of the Greek State. “The funding of the project has been undertaken by the Saudi Arabian government,” he added.
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 12:14:08 PM »

WTF?!

Can I ask why the GOVERNMENT is even funding such a thing?  Isn't this sort of thing supposed to be funded and arranged by the worshippers themselves?

And in an Orthodox country, as well... grrrrrr.

Angry  Huh  :veryangry: :cwm23:  :cwm8:

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

The Pointless One !

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 12:36:45 PM »

Perhaps they could have contructed numerous inflatable mosques that could be recycled after the Olympics.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 01:01:19 PM »

Remeber that all religion is sanctioned by the govt. in Greece and that all the religious leaders are payed by the govt.

To be honest I am glad they are building it where they are, no tourist ever go there. I also doubt the people who live there are really upset about moslims coming but rather that most of the moslems in Athens are Albanians and they don't want Albanians in their neighborhood.

By building this one mosque it will shut a lot of people up and be a sign of good will.

Joseph
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 10:07:50 PM »

I am also glad they are building it. There is not reason why Muslims in Athens shouldn't have an official Mosque. No matter who funds it, though Tom's post says that it is being funded by the Saudi Government, I think it is a good idea, with or without the Olympics coming. Plus as its already been said, all religious leaders in Greece are peayed by the government.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
ExOrienteLux

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 10:57:24 AM »

Sorry about that outburst.  I didn't know that religious leaders in Greece are paid by the government.  Learn something new every day...

Josh

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 01:42:11 PM »

Hopefully someone will dynamite it.
4Truth

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 02:37:01 PM »

. . . all religious leaders in Greece are peayed by the government. . . .

Perhaps you meant, ". . . all religious leaders in Greece are PEEVED by the government."   Grin

4Truth
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 02:37:46 PM by 4Truth » Logged
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 04:36:40 PM »

That it is being built in Athens, and not where the majority of Greece's Muslim population actually lives shows that this is a sign of power and presence, and not primarily a consideration on the part of it's financers (the Saudi gov't) to actually serve the Muslim population in Greece.

This is much like the recent building of Europe's largest mosque in of all places, Rome.  The symbolism of this is undeniable - the spiritual capital of some of Islam's (once/historically) fearest foes (western Christendom, in particular the Crusaders) being host to one of the biggest mosques in the world (and the biggest in Europe) is gushing with subtext.  What is doubly worse, is that the Imam appointed to lead the Grand Mosque of Rome (Imam Abdel-Samie Mahmoud Ibrahim Moussa) is cut from the same cloth as the radical clerics in the middle east proper (see article Roman Imam: Destroy Islam's Enemies for evidence of this.)

That the Saudi's are funding this Athenian mosque is particularly gauling, since in Saudi Arabia itself permission is never granted for the building of Churches, and what little Christian presence there is in Saudia Arabia has to live in such a way as to be totally invisible.  Even bringing so much as a Bible with you into Saudi Arabia is disallowed, and it will either be confiscated or you will be turned away.

The Saudi gov't actually spends a little fortune every year building mosques all over the western world.  They also spend comparable funds publishing various free editions of the Qur'an, and paying for the education of western born Imams, with the goal that they will return to urban centers and convert westerners to Islam.

Oh yes...the "Grand Mosque of Rome" was financed by the Saudi's as well.

Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 06:16:15 PM »

Yes, it is odd that 'infidel' clergy and churches are definitely not allowed in Saudi Arabia. Here in the UK we currently have over 1000 mosques. (One near my home was financed by Saddam Hussein - and up until recently dedicated to him. The large letters proclaiming this have only recently been removed!).

Here the Government has at last decided to set minimum linguistic standards for Imams recruited abroad. Many previously arrived speaking little if any English, and had no formal education.

Despite the 1000 plus mosques here and the official welcome offered to Moslems organisations the complaints about Islamophobia appear laughable when one considers the draconian restrictions imposed in various Islamic countries. :'(

It is afterwards that events are best understood
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 08:28:26 PM »

It's pretty aggravating, when you think about the fact that the Saudi establishment is funding and encouraging the building of mosques and the proselytization of people worldwide, yet they're unwilling to allow the same in their own "holy" land.  Pass the dynamite, Tom =)
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 10:38:09 PM »

Hopefully someone will dynamite it.

Shocked   :-  Roll Eyes

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2004, 11:58:40 PM »

Hey, the Greeks wanted the Olympics and to play in the EU. It's the price they pay.
No need for explosives, TomΣ...it's an earthquake zone...

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 08:24:46 AM »

No need for explosives, TomΣ...it's an earthquake zone...

And if it is being built by Greek labourers... Wink
ExOrienteLux

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2004, 10:05:17 AM »

And if it is being built by Greek labourers... Wink

...it'll never get finished in the first place! Wink

Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2004, 01:54:25 PM »

Just remember who won Euro 2004!

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2004, 01:57:11 PM »

Just remember who won Euro 2004!

Most people on this board are Americans. What was the Euro 2004? Was Lance in it?  Grin
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2004, 09:22:41 PM »

Soccer. And Greece who have never won in at international level won a European wide soccer tournament. It shocked a continent and made a nation delirously happy.

Now we have an international tournament and modestly call it - this year - Euro 2004. And in the good old USA they have a sporting tournament more or less to themselves and call it...... 'The World Series'. Now come on, guys, you're only about 4 per cent of the world's population. Roll Eyes

Only kidding........... really!

JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2004, 07:40:53 AM »

And the chickens wanting to be friendly invited the fox to enjoy a meal in the hen house but asked the fox not to eat any poultry.

JoeS  Grin
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2004, 01:53:39 PM »

Now we have an international tournament and modestly call it - this year - Euro 2004. And in the good old USA they have a sporting tournament more or less to themselves and call it...... 'The World Series'. Now come on, guys, you're only about 4 per cent of the world's population

But don't forget that there are two baseball teams from Canada - Toronto who won two world series in the early 90s and Montreal that posted the best record in the league in '94.  And all the best players from foriegn countries make up the American/Canadian majors - a large number of players from Latin America, some from Asia and even Australia.  And besides America is the center of the world anyway! Wink
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: