OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 07:16:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indian Orthodox priest also a martial artist  (Read 1600 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: August 27, 2011, 02:27:19 PM »

Orthodox priest Fr. Jacob John, who lives in Edamon, India, is a man of many talents. Not only is he a priest at St. Mary's Church, he is also a martial arts instructor.

From the article:
(Fr.) Jacob John was inducted to a martial arts school run by his cousin as a young boy. “Only after getting trained in the martial arts did I join the seminary,” he remembers. Earning a black belt under Renshi R Gopakumar, he created his own martial arts school ‘Dragon Karate and Kobudo Academy.’

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 04:20:21 PM »

This seems problematic especially considering that many forms of Karate are just doorways into the Devil's playground. 

police

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 05:15:17 PM »

99% of martial arts essentially amounts to dancing, sometimes with props, and often with a convoluted mish-mash of terms used to describe it. There is a certain mystique about them, but really they're mostly bs. Actual physical prowess is fairly inconsequential, and even prepubescent children can get black belts (they just need to find the right school and have parents with more money than sense). They generally have very little real life application, and just takes up a lot of your time. So I guess what I'm saying is, martial arts are quite similar to what we do here at oc.net, so I don't see what the problem is.  Wink

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 10:22:58 PM »

well my comment comes from going to several seminars on this subject, mainly one at HC/HC where a gentleman who was deep into Hinduism, etc. spoke about just how much they were in tune with demons & allowed them to possess them.  He also mentioned how Karate, etc. is just a portal for the devil b/c no normal human being should be able to chop through wood/bricks, etc.  but if you allow the devil into your life, he moves the air around/in the bricks to give you seeming superhuman strength.  Anyway, i'm totally changing the subject, so i'm going to stop, but these things arn't stuff to be trifled with.   police police police

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 11:06:16 PM »

well my comment comes from going to several seminars on this subject, mainly one at HC/HC where a gentleman who was deep into Hinduism, etc. spoke about just how much they were in tune with demons & allowed them to possess them.  He also mentioned how Karate, etc. is just a portal for the devil b/c no normal human being should be able to chop through wood/bricks, etc.  but if you allow the devil into your life, he moves the air around/in the bricks to give you seeming superhuman strength.  Anyway, i'm totally changing the subject, so i'm going to stop, but these things arn't stuff to be trifled with.   police police police

Really??? Roll Eyes
vorgos

Faith: Not enough

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 11:23:42 PM »

Apart from the possible 'mystical' and therefore spiritual dangerous aspects to martial arts, what about the core belief of Christianity of turning the other cheek? What use is martial arts to a Christian?
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 11:33:48 PM »

Apart from the possible 'mystical' and therefore spiritual dangerous aspects to martial arts, what about the core belief of Christianity of turning the other cheek? What use is martial arts to a Christian?

Yes "turn the other cheek", but if someone physically assaults you -- you should be allowed to defend yourself.  As a side note, Martial Arts can be great exercise that many have found enjoyable.  Just think about how many Kickboxing, Tae Kwon Do, Judo/Jiu Jitsu classes are offered around the world.. especially here in America.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:34:14 PM by AveChriste11 » Logged

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
vorgos

Faith: Not enough

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 12:11:37 AM »

As the great Homer would say, doh!

I should have checked the bottom of the screen before posting that....

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,22497.90.html
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:15:48 AM by vorgos » Logged
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 01:04:00 AM »

Really??? Roll Eyes

Yes Really.   Undecided

In some ways I agree with you.  However, that is a whole other can of worms.  there are many interpretations of this passage who would say that in Roman culture one would only hit someone with the back of their hand.  to hit them with the front of their hand would reveal the sword or weapon in their arm.  Some interpreters have said that this in roman culture would never happen, b/c it would reveal bloodshed.  anyway, it's a whole can of worms.  separate from the OP.  Feel free to start a separate thread.  i'd be more than happy to join you there. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 01:05:05 AM »

Yes "turn the other cheek", but if someone physically assaults you -- you should be allowed to defend yourself.  As a side note, Martial Arts can be great exercise that many have found enjoyable.  Just think about how many Kickboxing, Tae Kwon Do, Judo/Jiu Jitsu classes are offered around the world.. especially here in America.

thats exactly the problem.  we here in america don't understand the full impact of what we are doing to ourselves or to our bodies, or what we are opening ourselves to, unnecessarily.  For every hour of karate you could be doing the Jesus Prayer.  Just a thought. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
neon_knights
High Elder

My political hero.

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 01:08:58 AM »

How do you know that martial arts is a doorway to demonic activity?
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 01:10:05 AM »

because i've met people who have lived through it.  And I believe them. 

Plus the spiritual lessons of the orthodox church are very clear about this.  If you open yourself, but don't fill yourself with Christ, in ANY WAY, including stretching, kicking, etc. then you are opening yourself to demons. bottom line. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
neon_knights
High Elder

My political hero.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 01:16:57 AM »

Plus the spiritual lessons of the orthodox church are very clear about this.  If you open yourself, but don't fill yourself with Christ, in ANY WAY, including stretching, kicking, etc. then you are opening yourself to demons. bottom line. 

By opening yourself, you mean spiritually right? Can someone do martial arts as a purely physical exercise?

Sorry about snapping before, I'm a little ignorant on the topic and responded rashly.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 01:27:03 AM »

By opening yourself, you mean spiritually right? Can someone do martial arts as a purely physical exercise?

Sorry about snapping before, I'm a little ignorant on the topic and responded rashly.

don't worry about it. it's a complicated subject.  To be honest, maybe we should continue the convo in another thread.  i'm going to leave it for tonight & give you a link tomorrow. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 03:37:14 AM »

For every hour of karate you could be doing the Jesus Prayer.  Just a thought.

Father, could you not make this argument about almost anything? Should I throw out my cello and my playstation?

I look forward to your link.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 03:37:52 AM »

Jiu Jitsu Ju-jutsu

Fixed.

... (sorry, personal pet hate) ...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 03:38:09 AM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 03:41:08 AM »

Father, could you not make this argument about almost anything? Should I throw out my cello and my playstation?

tomorrow.  just wanted to respond

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
kazakage
Nasrani

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »

welcum to India Grin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »

He also mentioned how Karate, etc. is just a portal for the devil b/c no normal human being should be able to chop through wood/bricks, etc.  but if you allow the devil into your life, he moves the air around/in the bricks to give you seeming superhuman strength.

Breaking bricks, breaking boards, walking on coals, etc. are all parlor tricks... oh, and also fodder for good lines in bad movies, for example...

Daniel: Can you break a board like that, Mr. Miyagi?
Miyagi: Don't know, Daniel-san, never attacked by tree.

Much better than the Bloodsport line about "Very good. But brick no hit back"  Grin
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:37:24 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
SubdeaconSL

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 02:10:20 PM »

Much better than the Bloodsport line about "Very good. But brick no hit back"  Grin

Bruce Lee said it first in Enter the Dragon: "Boards don't hit back."
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »

Roll Eyes

i must say, this move the air giving super human power, 2nd graders being "black belts", friggin hado-ken crap is simply ultra-marketed nonsense. In real martial arts none of this is real. Its sad there are so many George Dillman's around the martial arts world.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryukyu_Kempo#National_Geographic_Channel_demonstration

Utter drivel.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 06:28:21 PM »

i agree with father serb1389.
there is plenty of eastern mysticism in the martial arts.
of course there is also lots of hype and marketing, but i would not recommend any Christians to do it.
if you must, go to a self-defense class, but leave the 'clearing your mind' and meditation side of any exercise alone.

there is a similarity with yoga; the yoga positions are all hindu positions of worship (yes, they like to pray in these positions!).
i have had plenty of hindu friends and martial arts loving friends and read books on it too. also when i was a kid i used to go to this exercise class, and the teacher started to do 'relaxation techniques' after the class, and there was a definite spiritual aspect to it. we used to pray during this part, but got told off for not 'emptying our minds' as instructed. the teacher could tell we were not 'with her'.
 Undecided
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 06:38:12 PM »

Sorry it took me all day to get to this. 

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,39257.msg630789.html#msg630789

also, I think there is a place & time for everything.  We should not be extreme in either case.  Having video games as a way to relax I think in the real world is fine.  Is it the best thing to be doing?  I think we can both agree on the answer to this question.  Are there better ways to spend your time?  Yes.  Is the devil going to attack you no matter what you do, yes. 

However, doing Karate & other disciplines in that vein are much more dangerous b/c you are actively pursuing opening yourself up to things, whether or not you are aware of it or want it.  Let's continue that discussion in the other thread though. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Tags: martial arts  india  Indian orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: