OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 07:53:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antioch (Antakya) still home to Christian community  (Read 1448 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: August 27, 2011, 02:22:24 PM »

One of the oldest centers of the Christian world is still home to a community of the faith today. Antioch (Antakya) and the surrounding area are the sites of historic as well as modern churches.

From the article:
Antakya is the largest city in the province of Hatay, and, like many urban areas, has developed as a centre of diversity. Farther away from the city, however, active Christian communities still prosper.

Near the Syrian border in the Altinozu district, two almost exclusively Christian villages remain, Sarilar and Tokacli. Villagers are nearly all Orthodox, with perhaps a handful of Catholic families.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 02:22:58 PM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »

i see the Roman Catholic priest is from Italy.  Considering all the persecution of native-born Orthodox Christians, I wonder how he got government permission to live  in Turkey?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »

i see the Roman Catholic priest is from Italy.  Considering all the persecution of native-born Orthodox Christians, I wonder how he got government permission to live  in Turkey?
Turkey wants to see itself as Western, and not letting Italians priests come (especially if they are going to convert native Orthodox), wouldn't go down well with sucking up to the West.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »

In Tarsus an officially "inactive" Catholic Church has its upkeep provided for by three Italian nuns who live there.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »

In Tarsus an officially "inactive" Catholic Church has its upkeep provided for by three Italian nuns who live there.
[/quote]

Ah, Tarsus, the home town of the Apostle Paul.  Have you been there & can you tell us if there is an Orthodox Church there?
Are the 3 nuns the extent of the Catholic populace of Tarsus?
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »

Tarsus is in the Mersin Province. Once the Antiochian Patriarchate had a Diocese of Tarsus and Adana, but it's abolished nowadays. As far as I know the only active Eastern Orthodox parish in the area is the one in Mersin. All the rest active (5 or 6) Antiochian churches, including the one in Antioch/Antakya are in the Hatay Province.
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »

Tarsus is in the Mersin Province. Once the Antiochian Patriarchate had a Diocese of Tarsus and Adana, but it's abolished nowadays. As far as I know the only active Eastern Orthodox parish in the area is the one in Mersin. All the rest active (5 or 6) Antiochian churches, including the one in Antioch/Antakya are in the Hatay Province.
Theophilos is from those parts, perhaps he can inform us.  I passed through Tarsus, there isn't much left amongst modern Tarsus.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Samn!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »

Surprisingly, the churches of the Patriarchate of Antioch in Turkey have some of the best websites of any churches in the Middle East. This is probably because they're de facto under the relatively media-savvy Archdiocese of Aleppo. Even if you don't read Turkish, it's worth clicking around on them for videos and audio recordings. These churches are the only places where you'll ordinarily find the liturgy performed in Turkish...

The Turkish-language website for the Archdiocese of Aleppo and Alexandretta-- http://www.ortodoksluk.org/index.htm

The parish in Antakya-- http://www.antakyaortodoks.com/defaultinside.asp

The parish in Samandag (also in Hatay province)-- http://www.samandagortodoks.com/

The parish in Mersin-- http://www.mersinortodoks.com/

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 01:07:54 PM »

My paternal ancestry is Syrian, when was Antioch severed from what would be traditional Syria? Was it still part of an Ottoman ruled Syria for centuries or had it remained so with the Islamic takeover in the 7th c.?

Antiochian OC N.A.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »

My paternal ancestry is Syrian, when was Antioch severed from what would be traditional Syria? Was it still part of an Ottoman ruled Syria for centuries or had it remained so with the Islamic takeover in the 7th c.?
Weren't there 4 cities know as Antioch in the Biblical era?
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 01:38:02 PM »

Depends on what you mean by "traditional Syria." It has alway been with parts of Syria, like the coast and/or Aleppo, until 1939, when the Turkish Republic annexed it on the lie of Ataturk that "that it was "a Turkish homeland for forty centuries" that "can’t be a captive at the hands of enemy"
http://www.antakyarehberi.com/hataytarih/4.htm

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »

Weren't there 4 cities know as Antioch in the Biblical era?
at least. Tarsus have been renamed Antioch on the Cydnus by Antiochos IV, the Seleucids refounded Nisibis as Antioch Mygdonia, Anitioch in Pisisidia/Phrygia was where St. Paul founded the mission to the Gentiles (Acts 13:13–52), and there was an Antioch on the Meander.

Btw, here is a picture of around Antioch just under a century after the Ottoman conquest of it:

what is pictured is actually its suburb Daphne, there being little left of Antioch itself at the time, which would be above the center and to the right in the picture.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:01:26 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 01:53:55 PM »

Thanks.  Always glad to learn more.  keep it up.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 02:10:44 PM »

Thanks.  Always glad to learn more.  keep it up.
In that case:"Antiochepedia = Musings Upon Ancient Antioch"
http://libaniusredux.blogspot.com/

Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »

Ah, Tarsus, the home town of the Apostle Paul.  Have you been there & can you tell us if there is an Orthodox Church there?
Are the 3 nuns the extent of the Catholic populace of Tarsus?
I didn't see an Orthodox Church, nor was I told of one.

As far as I know the nuns are the extent of the Catholic community in Tarsus, but I'm not entirely sure of that.

While officially not used as a church, Catholic tour groups will often hold services there. The locals can't get away with this however.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 02:42:44 PM »

Thanks for the answers.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Tags: Turkey  antioch  Antakya 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: