Author Topic: Prayers for Immigration to Canada  (Read 561 times)

Offline SakranMM

• Elder
  • Most Holy Theotokos, save us!
Prayers for Immigration to Canada
« on: August 26, 2011, 07:53:42 PM »
Dear Forum:

A few weeks ago, I asked for your prayers regarding assignment to my first parish as a new priest; thank God, those prayers have been answered.  I have been appointed as the assistant priest at St. Elias Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral in Ottawa, Ontario.

With that said, I am beginning to research the process of moving to Canada and eventually establishing permanent residency.  The requirements for foreign clergy coming into the country are a bit less strict than is normally the case, but it is still a challenge requiring a lot of money, paperwork, and patience.  Having never been to Canada, I really don't know what to expect at the border other than the usual series of questions, and I don't know how exactly how my family will be classified legally, which can determine whether or not they can remain with me once I start working in the church there.

Anyway, there is a lot to do, and I would appreciate any prayers I can get to help us through this exciting but stressful transition.

In Christ,

Fr. Michael
"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Re: Prayers for Immigration to Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 08:53:17 PM »
Dear Forum:

A few weeks ago, I asked for your prayers regarding assignment to my first parish as a new priest; thank God, those prayers have been answered.  I have been appointed as the assistant priest at St. Elias Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral in Ottawa, Ontario.

With that said, I am beginning to research the process of moving to Canada and eventually establishing permanent residency.  The requirements for foreign clergy coming into the country are a bit less strict than is normally the case, but it is still a challenge requiring a lot of money, paperwork, and patience.  Having never been to Canada, I really don't know what to expect at the border other than the usual series of questions, and I don't know how exactly how my family will be classified legally, which can determine whether or not they can remain with me once I start working in the church there.

Anyway, there is a lot to do, and I would appreciate any prayers I can get to help us through this exciting but stressful transition.

In Christ,

Fr. Michael
Lord have mercy!

What passports are you traveling on?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Kasatkin fan

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:00:53 PM »
Just a note, if you are going to be needing a part-time job, as many priests do need, make sure you fill out the proper paperwork to allow you to legally work in Canada. I'm aware of at least one priest who didn't and was forced to leave because as second priest he couldn't make ends meet based on what the church paid.

Offline Hiwot

• Christ is Risen!
  • OC.net guru
  • Job 19:25-27
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:10:43 PM »
Lord have mercy!
To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.