OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 02:10:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sacred Heart as I know it.  (Read 21235 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #360 on: October 20, 2011, 04:27:05 PM »

Yes, it is forbidden, in the Orthodox Church, to pray together with those of a different faith. The Moscow Patriarchate, by far the largest and most predominant Orthodox Church in the world, has clarified this recently and it is on the conscience of every Orthodox Christian whether Russian Orthodox or not.

But attending some event at a non-Orthodox church is not the same as the sin of praying with the non-Orthodox. I'm sure the fellow who attended his family member's chrismation did not actually say the prayers together with the Roman-Catholic people, or sing along on anything. If so, it was a sin. But doubtless he was simply showing respect for his family, not (God forbid!) seeking some kind of spiritual nourishment from the heretical church.

One can show love, without sacrificing the truth of Christ. Due to heresies having entered in, we cannot all participate in Sacraments together, but we can participate, without asking any blessing or waiting on anyone else, jump in and participate in the Sacrament of Love for one another.

Just because someone does something wrong, or picks up a wrong belief, is not a reason to cease loving him.

POPE-BARTHOLOMEW Mar-6-2008 (710 words) With photos. xxxi

Pope, Orthodox patriarch meet privately, pray together

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Pope Benedict XVI and Orthodox Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople spent almost half an hour speaking privately March 6 before going into a small Vatican chapel to pray together.

See the whole article:http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0801277.htm

Did +Bartholomew sin?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #361 on: October 20, 2011, 04:50:09 PM »

Yes, it is forbidden, in the Orthodox Church, to pray together with those of a different faith. The Moscow Patriarchate, by far the largest and most predominant Orthodox Church in the world, has clarified this recently and it is on the conscience of every Orthodox Christian whether Russian Orthodox or not.

But attending some event at a non-Orthodox church is not the same as the sin of praying with the non-Orthodox. I'm sure the fellow who attended his family member's chrismation did not actually say the prayers together with the Roman-Catholic people, or sing along on anything. If so, it was a sin. But doubtless he was simply showing respect for his family, not (God forbid!) seeking some kind of spiritual nourishment from the heretical church.

One can show love, without sacrificing the truth of Christ. Due to heresies having entered in, we cannot all participate in Sacraments together, but we can participate, without asking any blessing or waiting on anyone else, jump in and participate in the Sacrament of Love for one another.

Just because someone does something wrong, or picks up a wrong belief, is not a reason to cease loving him.

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Pope Benedict XVI and Orthodox Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople spent almost half an hour speaking privately March 6 before going into a small Vatican chapel to pray together.

Did +Bartholomew sin?
did they pray in unison, or side by side?

Btw, we don't have a supreme pontiff, so the EP sinning doesn't give us any existentialist crisis.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #362 on: October 20, 2011, 04:59:44 PM »

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

Did +Bartholomew sin?

Btw, we don't have a supreme pontiff, so the EP sinning doesn't give us any existentialist crisis.

Fr. Aidan said it was a sin for Orthodox to pray together with those of another faith.  +Bartholomew (Orthodox) reportedly prayed together with Pope Benedict (Catholic).  If Orthodox and Catholics are not the same faith, did +Bartholomew sin? 

I don't know whether the prayed in unison or side by side or what.  Here's a further quote from the link: "After a few moments, the two began reciting the Lord's Prayer in Latin. When the prayer was finished, the pope turned to his guest -- as if to see if he was ready to leave -- and the patriarch began reciting the Hail Mary in Latin. The pope joined in.

When the prayer was finished, the two turned to their aides and together blessed them.
"

Draw your own conclusions. 

Whether +Bartholomew sins or not doesn't give you an existentialist crisis?  Phew....Glad to hear it  Wink.  Nor does it give us one.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Fr.Aidan
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #363 on: October 20, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »

Yes, if things occurred as described, it was a sin.

We all have our failings. Lord forgive us.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #364 on: October 20, 2011, 05:28:26 PM »

We all have our failings. Lord forgive us.

Amen.

And may we be able to forgive each other and ourselves.

(I won't suggest we pray together about that  Wink)

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #365 on: October 20, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »

if an Orthodox said a prayer with a Catholic, would he go to hell for that? Or would he be able to be purified in Purgatory with other Catholics and then get to go to heaven?
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #366 on: October 20, 2011, 08:42:16 PM »

Suppose then that he does not repent, would he still go straight to heaven, in spite of these sins? Or would he have to spend some time in Purgatory to purify his soul before entering heaven? Or does he go to hell?
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #367 on: October 20, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »

For the record, I was present at these RCC services as a passive observer. No participation in any way, and certainly no receiving of Communion. Though family members of the newly-confirmed were invited to receive a blessing without receiving Communion (those who were not receiving, be they RCC or not, were asked to cross their arms over their chests), I chose not to join the queue.

And, Stanley, you have yet to answer my question of the existence or otherwise of mixed marriages in your family.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:05:26 PM by LBK » Logged
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #368 on: October 20, 2011, 11:19:51 PM »

Boy, I haven't missed a thing in this place have I?  laugh

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #369 on: October 21, 2011, 11:31:14 AM »

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

Did +Bartholomew sin?

I tire of extreme anti-ecumenical talk, especially when one bothers to fully understand and read what both sides write and publish, including the Moscow Patriarchate... "Clarification is in the eyes of the beholder", I suppose, how about these?

http://www.mospat.ru/en/2011/10/07/news49170/ (American secular choir sings at service....)

http://www.mospat.ru/en/2011/10/07/news49170/ (Pope presented with Icon, both hierarchs photographed venerating it together....)

http://www.mospat.ru/ru/2011/10/19/news50018/  (annual interfaith in London Orthodox Cathedral with Anglicans...!!!!)

http://www.mospat.ru/ru/2011/10/19/news50018/ (read the sermon...)

and of course, Russian Orthodox pilgrims meeting, praying and concelebrating Divine  Liturgy with the Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople... http://www.mospat.ru/ru/2011/10/18/news49937/

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #370 on: October 21, 2011, 12:02:07 PM »

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

Did +Bartholomew sin?

I tire of extreme anti-ecumenical talk, especially when one bothers to fully understand and read what both sides write and publish, including the Moscow Patriarchate... "Clarification is in the eyes of the beholder", I suppose, how about these?

http://www.mospat.ru/en/2011/10/07/news49170/ (American secular choir sings at service....)

http://www.mospat.ru/en/2011/10/07/news49170/ (Pope presented with Icon, both hierarchs photographed venerating it together....)

http://www.mospat.ru/ru/2011/10/19/news50018/  (annual interfaith in London Orthodox Cathedral with Anglicans...!!!!)

and of course, Russian Orthodox pilgrims meeting, praying and concelebrating Divine  Liturgy with the Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople... http://www.mospat.ru/ru/2011/10/18/news49937/

Soooo many sinners!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked  Grin  Well, at least according to Fr. Aidan according to the MP.

Did the MP *really* state that it was a "sin" for Orthodox to pray with non-Orthodox??  I'd love to see the statement.  And, if there is such a statement, what do other bishops/synods/Patriarchates have to say about it?

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #371 on: October 21, 2011, 12:32:11 PM »

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

Did +Bartholomew sin?

Soooo many sinners!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked  Grin  Well, at least according to Fr. Aidan according to the MP.

Did the MP *really* state that it was a "sin" for Orthodox to pray with non-Orthodox??  I'd love to see the statement.  And, if there is such a statement, what do other bishops/synods/Patriarchates have to say about it?

Resumption of communion, when it comes, is going to be impossible for many to accept.

M.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #372 on: October 21, 2011, 01:06:11 PM »

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

Did +Bartholomew sin?

Resumption of communion, when it comes, is going to be impossible for many to accept.

M.

That really *is* sad.  I guess they will be the ones worse off for it.  I can't help but wonder, will they then "protest" and break communion--again?

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #373 on: October 21, 2011, 01:58:22 PM »

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

Did +Bartholomew sin?

Fr. Aidan said it was a sin for Orthodox to pray together with those of another faith.  +Bartholomew (Orthodox) reportedly prayed together with Pope Benedict (Catholic).  If Orthodox and Catholics are not the same faith, did +Bartholomew sin? 

I don't know whether the prayed in unison or side by side or what.  Here's a further quote from the link: "After a few moments, the two began reciting the Lord's Prayer in Latin. When the prayer was finished, the pope turned to his guest -- as if to see if he was ready to leave -- and the patriarch began reciting the Hail Mary in Latin. The pope joined in.

When the prayer was finished, the two turned to their aides and together blessed them.
"

Draw your own conclusions. 

Whether +Bartholomew sins or not doesn't give you an existentialist crisis?  Phew....Glad to hear it  Wink.  Nor does it give us one.
you have a supreme pontiff for that. In fact, you have often had several at one time to give you an existentialist crisis.

When the EP vests and concelebrates with the Vatican, I'll worry about it.  If and when he communes with the Vatican, I will call for his deposition.  We dealt with this recently in Romania.  Otherwise, I'll leave EP Bartholomew's father confessor and the Holy Synod of Constantinople to worry about it.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #374 on: October 21, 2011, 01:59:24 PM »

if an Orthodox said a prayer with a Catholic, would he go to hell for that? Or would he be able to be purified in Purgatory with other Catholics and then get to go to heaven?
since purgatory doesn't exist, no.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #375 on: October 21, 2011, 02:02:26 PM »

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

Did +Bartholomew sin?

Yes, I suspect the numbers of Sedevantissts will shoot up: since it will only come with the repentance of the Vatican, it won't be difficult for the Orthodox to accept at all, but those who cling to Ultramontanism will be at a loss how to explain the situation.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #376 on: October 21, 2011, 02:03:55 PM »

By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service

Did +Bartholomew sin?

M.

That really *is* sad.  I guess they will be the ones worse off for it.  I can't help but wonder, will they then "protest" and break communion--again?
aren't you along the border with the sedenvacantists? you would know better than the rest of us I suppose.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #377 on: October 21, 2011, 02:15:52 PM »

Why all the hue and cry over how sad it is that this theoretical situation would be hard for some to accept? There's plenty to deal with in the real world that is much more sad than your "what ifs" that are not even within the realm of possibility. The Roman Church does not control the Holy Spirit. There is no "when it happens" separate from very real and immediate cooperation of the recalcitrant. You don't get to have communion just because you want it or you think it would be nice or whatever.

I am saddened to see the Latin church capitalize on every little statement from or meeting with an Orthodox representative so as to give the Roman faithful false hope of reunion. Real hope is so much better, but requires an understanding and spirit of repentance that is apparently beyond the Roman Catholic Church and its Pope, even with his magical infallibility powers.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:16:42 PM by dzheremi » Logged

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #378 on: October 21, 2011, 09:30:47 PM »

Why all the hue and cry over how sad it is that this theoretical situation would be hard for some to accept? There's plenty to deal with in the real world that is much more sad than your "what ifs" that are not even within the realm of possibility. The Roman Church does not control the Holy Spirit. There is no "when it happens" separate from very real and immediate cooperation of the recalcitrant. You don't get to have communion just because you want it or you think it would be nice or whatever.

I am saddened to see the Latin church capitalize on every little statement from or meeting with an Orthodox representative so as to give the Roman faithful false hope of reunion. Real hope is so much better, but requires an understanding and spirit of repentance that is apparently beyond the Roman Catholic Church and its Pope, even with his magical infallibility powers.

Cheesy

I am taking my cue today, on the approaching resumption of communion, from a recent posting on the web-site of a very perspicacious Orthodox priest!!

Cheesy

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #379 on: October 21, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »

Cheesy

I am taking my cue today, on the approaching resumption of communion, from a recent posting on the web-site of a very perspicacious Orthodox priest!!

Cheesy
who will remain nameless, in the anonymity of Oz. Wink

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #380 on: October 21, 2011, 09:46:01 PM »

Well then if you said a prayer, say the Our Father, with a Catholic and did not have a chance to repent, would you go to heaven or hell?
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #381 on: October 21, 2011, 09:47:05 PM »

"The approaching resumption of communion"...? You know something we don't, elijahmaria? laugh

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #382 on: October 21, 2011, 09:50:22 PM »

Well then if you said a prayer, say the Our Father, with a Catholic and did not have a chance to repent, would you go to heaven or hell?
I'll never find out.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #383 on: October 21, 2011, 09:52:09 PM »

"The approaching resumption of communion"...? You know something we don't, elijahmaria? laugh
LOL. No, just trying to convince herself, as usual.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #384 on: October 21, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »

I'll never find out.
So the Orthodox Church has no teaching on whether or not it is a serious issue to violate a canon of the Orthodox Church ?
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #385 on: October 21, 2011, 10:37:22 PM »

I'll never find out.
So the Orthodox Church has no teaching on whether or not it is a serious issue to violate a canon of the Orthodox Church ?
It teaches not to fantasize about breaking the canons.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #386 on: October 22, 2011, 12:09:49 AM »

I'll never find out.
If it is as you say, it would appear to be a fuzzy and wishy washy teaching and not a clear cut rule. Do you think it is all right to have your eternal salvation depend on such a fuzzy rule that no one knows exactly how to interpret ?
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #387 on: October 22, 2011, 01:56:45 AM »

I'll never find out.
What does the Eastern Orthodox Church have a universal teaching on?
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #388 on: October 22, 2011, 05:51:55 AM »

Plenty. Most of it can be found in our hymnography and iconography.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #389 on: October 22, 2011, 07:42:39 AM »

I'll never find out.
Lots, but only on real life.  We leave the speculation to you all.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #390 on: October 22, 2011, 07:44:57 AM »

I'll never find out.
If it is as you say, it would appear to be a fuzzy and wishy washy teaching and not a clear cut rule. Do you think it is all right to have your eternal salvation depend on such a fuzzy rule that no one knows exactly how to interpret ?
we already have plenty of threads on Pastor Aeternus and "ex cathedra."

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #391 on: October 22, 2011, 04:22:48 PM »

I'll back you on this one LBK.

Let's not get too crazy here.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #392 on: October 22, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »

Cheesy

Cheesy
who will remain nameless, in the anonymity of Oz. Wink

You should take lessons from Met. Hilarion of the Russian Patriarchate. 

As I said you're not going to make the transition as you are now.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #393 on: October 23, 2011, 04:57:36 AM »

Wha-...Huh Miracles will never cease.  Wink laugh
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #394 on: October 23, 2011, 12:29:58 PM »

Wha-...Huh Miracles will never cease.  Wink laugh

Cheesy...Well...I thought about what you said and IF I am going to insist that the seeds of the teaching concerning the immaculate Mother of God are contained in the texts from the feast of her Entry into the Temple, then I had BETTER agree with you... Wink

OTOH...I'd have to agree in any event.

angel

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #395 on: October 23, 2011, 07:47:50 PM »

I'll never find out.

conciliarity.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #396 on: October 24, 2011, 09:21:31 AM »

I'll never find out.
btw, Wyatt I was in your neck of the woods in Peoria yesterday.  Hello.

Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #397 on: October 24, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »

I'll never find out.
You could've had an ecumenical dialogue together.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #398 on: October 24, 2011, 02:44:43 PM »

I'll never find out.

Or tea.  That probably would have been safer  Grin

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #399 on: October 24, 2011, 03:30:25 PM »

I'll never find out.

DO NOT DO THAT  when I am drinking something!!!   Angry Angry Angry

laugh

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #400 on: October 24, 2011, 03:44:26 PM »

I'll never find out.

laugh
Something stronger?

Fr.Aidan
Elder

« Reply #401 on: October 24, 2011, 04:09:44 PM »

You were going through Peoria? Did you get to attendance any Western Rite services at St. John Maximovitch Church there?
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #402 on: October 24, 2011, 05:31:13 PM »

You were going through Peoria? Did you get to attendance any Western Rite services at St. John Maximovitch Church there?
I was not aware that there was any WRO parish/mission in all of Illinois.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #403 on: October 24, 2011, 05:47:48 PM »

Quote from: ialmisry link=topic=39189.msg658989#msg658989 date=1319485466

[/quote

laugh
Something stronger?
[/quote]

Cool...just tea...shooting out of my nose.

Fr.Aidan
Elder

« Reply #404 on: October 24, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »

The most complete online directory of canonical Western Rite parishes and monasteries is here:

http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Liturgy/Groups.html

The pastor there is a noted Orthodox author and has served in Orthodox churches for several decades.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: