OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 10:33:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missionary position...  (Read 1686 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: January 31, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »

Why did the Roman Catholic Church endorse only the missionary position as a form of sexual intercourse? I can't recall why Aquinas pushed that as well...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »

Some Orthodox did as well. Other positions were considered unnatural or "imitating animals"...

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »

I see, has the RCC changed it's position since then? If so, why?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:24:02 PM »

I'm not sure, but fwiw the book that I read most about it as regards the Orthodox was Sex and Society in the World of the Orthodox Slavs, 900-1700, by Eve Levin.  One would assume (or just hope) that both Churches have changed on this.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:27:23 PM »

I'm not sure, but fwiw the book that I read most about it as regards the Orthodox was Sex and Society in the World of the Orthodox Slavs, 900-1700, by Eve Levin.  One would assume (or just hope) that both Churches have changed on this.
I see is that your book review on Amazon?  police

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 08:28:26 PM »

Yeah, that's mine... but remember my motto: don't trust anything I said before this post Wink  Grin

EDIT--I just reread my review of that book from 6 1/2 years ago... ugh, I really do cringe when I read what I wrote years ago!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:31:50 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:33:33 PM »

Yeah, that's mine... but remember my motto: don't trust anything I said before this post Wink  Grin

EDIT--I just reread my review of that book from 6 1/2 years ago... ugh, I really do cringe when I read what I wrote years ago!
Haha some guy called you pompous for your review on The Idiot.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »

Haha some guy called you pompous for your review on The Idiot.

True enough, lol Smiley  Though that book does read like a soap opera at times, and no one is telling me differently!

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »

Hey Asteriktos, how does Levin attempt "to give information that helps to put the practices [of making a raped girl marry her rapist] into their proper historical context"?

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 08:55:12 PM »

Hey Asteriktos, how does Levin attempt "to give information that helps to put the practices [of making a raped girl marry her rapist] into their proper historical context"?

I don't recall off hand, and I no longer own the book so I can't look it up. If I had to guess, though, I would think she probably explained how someone in that situation would be considered poorly by society, and that if she didn't marry the guy (as also happens in the Old Testament--Deuteronomy I think), she might end up homeless and die. Also, I don't think that rape necessarily means the most violent thing, but may also mean just some older guy taking advantage of a naive girl or something along those lines (a sort of "statutory rape" of sorts)... but again, I'm just shooting from the hip here as I don't remember.

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »

Okay, thanks.

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 09:02:15 PM »

I may be wrong, but I think it used to be believed that non-missionary sex decreased or negated the chances of conception, so was considered a form of contraception and condemned under the same reasoning. Since science has shown that to be false, the RCC has revised its views accordingly.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 12:19:22 AM »

chaulk it up to celibate guys telling married folk how to embrace their marriage  Roll Eyes 

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 04:49:31 AM »

I may be wrong, but I think it used to be believed that non-missionary sex decreased or negated the chances of conception, so was considered a form of contraception and condemned under the same reasoning. Since science has shown that to be false, the RCC has revised its views accordingly.
That maybe true. Could it be that missionary position was used to curb lust and more grandiose sexuality? It seems to me the Church viewed sex as a vehicle for conception and never for pleasure.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 04:57:01 AM »

Could it be that missionary position was used to curb lust
I believe this hypothesis has been dis-proven.

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 04:57:26 AM »

Why did the Roman Catholic Church endorse only the missionary position as a form of sexual intercourse?
Probably has to do with faces.

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Protestant, for now...

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 07:40:41 AM »

There was a Rabbinical saying that a child conceived dorsally will have a squint in their eye. I wonder if that passed into Christian lore.

But basically I think the imitating animals (and pagans and homosexuals) argument is what it was.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:43:39 AM by Volnutt » Logged

I'm not posting on oc.net for the time being. Thank you to everyone for your support!
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 07:46:16 AM »

Why did the Roman Catholic Church endorse only the missionary position as a form of sexual intercourse?
That too. Supposedly it reduces sex to just lust (one wonders why the "holes-in-sheets" stereotype wasn't reality in Patristic teaching...)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:47:04 AM by Volnutt » Logged

I'm not posting on oc.net for the time being. Thank you to everyone for your support!
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 04:51:55 PM »

That too. Supposedly it reduces sex to just lust (one wonders why the "holes-in-sheets" stereotype wasn't reality in Patristic teaching...)
Well, the idea is that it is more emotionally significant to have sex face-to-face, because humans are more reliant on facial recognition than virtually any other being.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 04:52:15 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »

So, I guess the old paper bag is a no-no.

Well, the idea is that it is more emotionally significant to have sex face-to-face, because humans are more reliant on facial recognition than virtually any other being.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 05:23:23 PM »

No lights off huh?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 05:36:15 PM »

Who was it that said to approach the marriage bed with regret?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »

PP

Nothing like that is in the Orthodox marriage service!
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »

PP
I've never heard this before. Not saying that it hasn't been said...just that I have never personally heard it.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 08:40:49 PM »

PP
IIRC St. Augustine, though St. Jerome had similar beliefs once quipping that "even martyrdom cannot wash away the stain of matrimony." I thought I read once that St. Basil had a similarly low view of marriage (must have been a hoot to see him interact with his brother's wife). Tertullian was also a little strange about it.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 08:41:29 PM »

I see.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 10:57:32 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

This very thread and discussion poignantly illustrates some of the flaws in the scholastic approach and legalism of the Latin jurisdiction.  This has always been the existential and ontological dichotomy between Western and Eastern thought in Christendom.  In the Eastern approach, such matters are not necessarily matters of dogma, canons, or pulpits, rather they are individual discussions between a Confessor and a married couple.  The Orthodox approach is to individualize rather then legalize or criminalize morality in the Church, based on the progress and level where each individual is at in their walk along the Way. To be sure there are certain canons and such within Orthodox which discuss these kinds of intimate or personal matters, however they are not intended for the en mass public rather they are intended for Confessors and priests to consult and individualize for the specific needs, circumstances, and situations of each person.  Further, much like how human beings are inherent hypochondriac and so whenever we read WebMD we suddenly have every disease we read about, the same is with sin, when folks consults canons and Scriptures about sin, suddenly everything is sin, but one of the very purposes of Confession is to sort exactly what is sin, and what isn't. 

It is the spirit, not the letter of the laws which are important. It is up to our spiritual Fathers to interpret the quality or lack there of within our married sex lives.  They can help us to understand what is lust and what is lawful, what is selfish and what is communicative. Whether folks realize it or not, sex is the deepest form of communication between human beings, so much so that it carries the potential to bring a new life into the world. However, sometimes things get lost in translation..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: