OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 01, 2014, 12:45:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: makes me so mad  (Read 2392 times) Average Rating: 0
orthodoxserbCCCC

OC.net

« on: June 29, 2004, 04:25:03 PM »

:worried: I found this athiest website- www.rael.org it is the biggest BS i've seen in my life. It talks about how there is no God and we were made by aliens?!?!? they are for cloning, abortion, homosexuality!!! someone has to do something about this stupid organization and the fools that follow it.

it currently has 60,000 members and this worries me! please respond and tell me what you think.

Vlad

NULL
4Truth

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 04:31:23 PM »

The website belongs to the organization that, a year or so ago, claimed that they had cloned a human baby.  Of course, they refused to produce either the baby or credible evidence to support their claim.  

There are many, many demonically-influenced organizations and people in the world, including that group.

Have you ever read/heard about what Mormon "theology" teaches, once one has become too ensnared to escape without supreme struggle?  It is every bit as depraved and crazed.  

Pray for such people!  

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 12:29:59 AM »

orthodoxserbCCCC,

Why does something like this bother you?  Don't misunderstand, it's clear you should disagree with what they say, but why get so shook up that you actually take people who are this out of touch with reality seriously?

We don't have to do anything about these nutjobs; they'll peter out on their own.

Oh, and the 60,000 member thing...probably a crock of bull.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 07:43:07 AM »

OrthodoxSerb,

I found this athiest website- www.rael.org it is the biggest BS i've seen in my life. It talks about how there is no God and we were made by aliens?!?!? they are for cloning, abortion, homosexuality!!! someone has to do something about this stupid organization and the fools that follow it.

I wouldn't let them take your peace from you - the "Raelians" are a new age sect with all sorts of ideas which, last time I checked, looked like a really poor rip off of something Eric Von Daniken would have written.  I know in Toronto you can find them on Yonge Street handing out leaflets and trying to hawk their "bible" as it were, "Hare Krishna" style.

it currently has 60,000 members and this worries me! please respond and tell me what you think.

I wouldn't let it worry you too much.  There will always be basically silly people who need a mythos to go along with (and justify) their essentially libertine lifestyles.

Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 07:53:57 AM »

4truth,

Have you ever read/heard about what Mormon "theology" teaches, once one has become too ensnared to escape without supreme struggle?  It is every bit as depraved and crazed.

Mormonism is every bit as kooky as "Raelianism", except it has a veneer of mainstream "Protestanesque" respectability which prevents most people from perceiving this (not to mention their deliberate obscuring of their most significant teachings from outsiders, potential prostylites included.)

I actually had an interesting experience years ago, dialoging with some Mormon missionaries in person, on several occassions actually.  Unfortunately for them, I had already done a great deal of reading on their more "hidden" teachings, and in so doing caught them quite off guard.

Put simply, the Mormons (as you're probably aware, though most others don't seem to be) are polytheists, or more accurately, henotheists - they believe in the existance of an infinite number of gods, who exist in an infinite regression back in time (that is to say, gods created by other gods, who in turn were created by other gods, etc. etc.)  They believe that by faithful service to their/"our" god, who at one time was a man like us, they will attain "godhood" themselves in the afterlife, and will in turn be able to create their own little world, dote over it, etc.  They believe that our Lord Jesus Christ and satan (!!) are actually the offspring (via copulation - they teach that "God" has goddess brides) of "Father God" - yes, they teach they are in fact rival siblings!

And yes, it gets even weirder than this, but that would require another thread unto itself.

While Mormon missionaries are usually only keen on giving out their "Book of Mormon" to potential converts, if they think you really show an interest in their religion, they will give you other works of theirs which begin to get into some more of this strange stuff.  Or, you can always hit your local used bookstores, which at least around here often seem to have a glutt of Mormon and Hare Krishna literature.

PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 09:31:23 AM »

*snorts*
Only 60,000 strong? Orthodoxy is 250 million strong! We have the raelians beat in three states alone.

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 10:00:54 AM »

*snorts*
Only 60,000 strong? Orthodoxy is 250 million strong! We have the raelians beat in three states alone.

Heck, we have three Episcopal dioceses with more than 60,000 members.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 10:04:35 AM »

Heck, we have three Episcopal dioceses with more than 60,000 members.

Yeah! And I hear the one in San Francisco is growing by leaps and bounds!  Grin
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 10:23:03 AM »

Tom, be nice... >:-(

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 10:26:39 AM »

But..but...he just lays the comment out THERE! It was just BEGGING for a smart comment. How can you resist?  Huh
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 10:27:03 AM by Tom+ú » Logged
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 10:30:41 AM »

I found it highly ironic... when I clicked on the Russian link, they have their "star" symbol on the background of St. Basil's..

and Tom... self-discipline, mate...  Grin  I thought that's what's fasting's all 'bout.   Cool
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 10:32:03 AM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 11:06:53 AM »

and Tom... self-discipline, mate...  Grin  I thought that's what's fasting's all 'bout.   Cool  

Fasting? What's that - I am GOA!!  Grin
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 11:44:44 AM »

Don't look now but I think we are missing the "real" threat to Christianity.

The "Raelians" constitute a mere speck in the horizon and, admittedly, most of them are "loonies."

We should be wary of the "bullies" in our midst.

Islam is growing rapidly and now accounts almost 1 in 6 of humanity, about 1.2 billion, while Christianity as a whole tips at around 2 billion (slightly over 1 billion Catholics), or about 1/3 of humanity.

The fastest growing religion in the U.S. is Islam. Researchers say it has now more members than the Presbyterian Church.

Then consider Hinduism, with more than 800 million worldwide and Buddhism with more than 300 million. We have not even considered the 1.2 billion in China and the more than 500 million tribal and animist worshippers of Africa.

Now we can appreciate the word "relative."

Amado
Keble
Archon

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 01:01:20 PM »

Yeah! And I hear the one in San Francisco is growing by leaps and bounds!  Grin

Faster than the GOA, I'll bet.  Tongue Tongue Tongue Grin
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 01:37:49 PM »

Faster than the GOA, I'll bet.  Tongue Tongue Tongue Grin

Well, YES Brother! Of course! The road to salvation is narrow!
Keble
Archon

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2004, 05:19:15 PM »

The fastest growing religion in the U.S. is Islam. Researchers say it has now more members than the Presbyterian Church.

Actually, they don't. The number of moslems in the USA is a highly controversial figure, as you can see in the fine print of this page from adherents.com, but even the best estimates indicate that moslems might be as numerous as Episcopalians, but not so numerous as Presbyterians.
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2004, 02:34:11 PM »

In the UK alone there are more than 1000 mosques. Here in Birmingham it seems there is one every half mile or so. Many of these are very well attended. They proselytise. And compared to the 'brands' of Christianity most people would come in contact with appear to have a definite belief system.

Raelians are just another New Age phantasy which will tickle a few 'susceptible' folk until something else grabs them. Sad.

The inroad Islam is making is something with much more potential for impact on us, I would suggest like an earlier contributor.......

It is afterwards that events are best understood
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: