OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 02:56:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newly discovered planet is a massive diamond  (Read 1061 times) Average Rating: 0
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« on: August 26, 2011, 04:56:43 AM »

It formed from a star orbiting a pulsar.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/25/planet-diamonds-discovered_n_937011.html
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:00:44 AM »

I guess that makes it a girl's best friend

Proverbs 22:7
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:38:04 AM »

This is wonderful news!  De Beers will be funding NASA for the next couple of centuries!!!!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 05:14:12 PM »

I remember Arthur Clarke speculated that the core of Jupiter may be a diamond.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »

I remember Arthur Clarke speculated that the core of Jupiter may be a diamond.
At least until the planet implodes and forms Earth's second Sun, Lucifer.   Undecided

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 06:56:01 PM »

This is wonderful news!  De Beers will be funding NASA for the next couple of centuries!!!!
laugh
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 07:08:36 PM »

We all know that a diamond the size of a planet still would not satisfy some people... Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 07:12:12 PM »

We all know that a diamond the size of a planet still would not satisfy some people... Wink
Can I get that on a ring? Should be enough carats for my lady.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 07:33:32 PM »

Would you really want someone so demanding? No way! Shocked
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:40:28 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 07:36:38 PM »

Woulg you really want someone so demanding? No way! Shocked
It ain't about demanding. She's worth more than the carats offered on Earth. Wink

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »

I'm going to need this.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 09:06:28 PM »

It ain't about demanding. She's worth more than the carats offered on Earth. Wink

Ok, ok...I was young and in love once too! Cheesy

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 09:13:16 PM »

Ok, ok...I was young and in love once too! Cheesy
LOL too bad it costed me 5500 the first time around.  Cheesy

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 08:51:57 AM »

Considering that the diamond market is already artificial (the price is what it is because DeBeers has a huge stockpile they're keeping out of circulation), I bet they're hoping that Richard Branson's private space program doesn't figure out how to exploit wormholes for space travel purposes.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »

Considering that the diamond market is already artificial (the price is what it is because DeBeers has a huge stockpile they're keeping out of circulation), I bet they're hoping that Richard Branson's private space program doesn't figure out how to exploit wormholes for space travel purposes.

Considering the Diamond-planet orbits a pulsar every two hours with an orbit size within the radius of our own sun... I hope they have a strong forcefield.... and a tractor beam would be useful, too.

I'm going to need this.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 09:26:04 AM »

I once worked at a jewelry store and this couple wanted to get an engagement ring. He was from a simple family and she was from a very affluent family.  She said straight up, "I'm not getting married for anything less than 2 carats!"  He bought a 2 carat diamond but he came back in 6 months saying that even that wasn't enough for her.  If this news happened back then I suppose her demand would have been, "I'm not getting married for anything less than a planet!"

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 10:08:50 AM »

I once worked at a jewelry store and this couple wanted to get an engagement ring. He was from a simple family and she was from a very affluent family.  She said straight up, "I'm not getting married for anything less than 2 carats!"  He bought a 2 carat diamond but he came back in 6 months saying that even that wasn't enough for her.  If this news happened back then I suppose her demand would have been, "I'm not getting married for anything less than a planet!"

I hope he was getting his money back and not upgrading the ring.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 10:13:19 AM »

I hope he was getting his money back and not upgrading the ring.

He did return it and get his money back which my company was obliged to do with the guarantee we had.  Apparently, when the time came to actually propose to this woman, everything had fallen apart and she left him for someone wealthier.  The guy was actually overjoyed and used the money to go on vacation somewhere really nice. Good for him

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 12:04:52 PM »

Considering the Diamond-planet orbits a pulsar every two hours with an orbit size within the radius of our own sun... I hope they have a strong forcefield.... and a tractor beam would be useful, too.
You know Richard Branson has a force field and tractor beam.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 02:13:10 PM »

Funded by rich Russian Trekkies.

I'm going to need this.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »

I was wondering why I couldn't get on his island.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: