OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:54:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a quote about salvation  (Read 875 times) Average Rating: 0
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« on: July 21, 2004, 08:09:56 AM »

I would like an interpretation from this quote I read yesterday in Corinthians. St. Paul writes that some will build on the foundation (Christ is the foundation, I think) houses of gold,... (lower and lower materials)..., and straw. Fire (the last judgement?) will test what is built. Whoever built something that lasts through the fire will be saved. Whoever built something that is burned away will be saved but "through fire". How are we to interpret this?

NULL
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 09:26:58 AM »

Well, the fact that these people are actually building on Christ is what saves them, though in the case of the straw, even their salvation won't be as much to speak of.

So there is the idea that people will receive glory in heaven ("crowns," etc.) according to what they did in Christ's name.

This is different from wholly refusing to do Christ's work -- not feeding the hungry, not clothing the naked, etc. -- such implies a total lack of identification with Christ, a lack of building at all on His foundation.  Such will not be saved in the least, as Matt. 25 points out.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: