OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 06:00:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commemorations in Canada?  (Read 628 times) Average Rating: 0
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« on: August 25, 2011, 08:00:31 PM »

During the Liturgy, in the United States, we commemorate the President.  Whom do they commemorate specifically in Ontario?  I ask because I've been assigned to a church in Ottawa, and want to make sure I get this right before I arrive.

In Christ,

Fr. Michael

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »

During the Liturgy, in the United States, we commemorate the President.  Whom do they commemorate specifically in Ontario?  I ask because I've been assigned to a church in Ottawa, and want to make sure I get this right before I arrive.

In Christ,

Fr. Michael
My priest (Antiochian) commemorates "Elizabeth our Queen" and sometimes adds one or more of "the Royal Family, the Governor-General, Parliament in session".

You may have noticed that Bishop Joseph of LA and the West publishes full service notes. You may wish to take a look at his wording for Canadian churches in his diocese.

Welcome to Canada!
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:21:07 PM »

We commemorate the Queen, generally speaking, though she isn't always mentioned by name. I can't say I've ever heard Parliament or the Governor General commemorated.
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 08:25:49 PM »

We commemorate the Queen, generally speaking, though she isn't always mentioned by name. I can't say I've ever heard Parliament or the Governor General commemorated.
I'm not sure why my priest does it. I guess he just wants to cover all the bases. I don't think it's necessary. I also know he's pretty set in some of his ways, so I don't question him on it, and save my "helpful suggestions" for other things  Cheesy.
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »

Where do you attend church, genesisone?

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:01:11 PM »

St Ignatius of Antioch, in St Catharines.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 09:13:34 PM »

I've never heard the Queen of Australia, the governor-general or her Majesty's government commemorated or prayed for here in Australia.

I have, however, heard the President of Cyprus prayed for in a liturgical context.

Not sure how to feel about that.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:19:51 PM »

hi, father michael, bless.
please pray for the queen, she needs it badly.
she is the head of a church which is falling apart, her husband is a senior freemason and her family are all damaged by having too much money and power.
thanks.
(from the uk!)
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »

I've never heard the Queen of Australia, the governor-general or her Majesty's government commemorated or prayed for here in Australia.

I have a recording from a ROCOR church in Australia that commemorates "Our Sovereign Lady the Queen, the parliaments and peoples of this Commonwealth". I also know that, in the not-too-distant past, it was a ROCOR rubric to commemorate her in churches in countries where Elizabeth II is head of State. The commemorations were during litanies, and at the Mnogaya Lyeta at the end of the DL.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »

I'm not sure why my priest does it. I guess he just wants to cover all the bases. I don't think it's necessary. I also know he's pretty set in some of his ways, so I don't question him on it, and save my "helpful suggestions" for other things  Cheesy.
Haha, I don't see anything wrong with praying for parliament, they certainly need it. It's just not something I've encountered before.
thismanisdan

Faith: EO

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 09:52:54 PM »

I know the Prime Minister is commemorated in there somewhere.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 10:21:23 PM »

I have a recording from a ROCOR church in Australia that commemorates "Our Sovereign Lady the Queen, the parliaments and peoples of this Commonwealth". I also know that, in the not-too-distant past, it was a ROCOR rubric to commemorate her in churches in countries where Elizabeth II is head of State. The commemorations were during litanies, and at the Mnogaya Lyeta at the end of the DL.

I like it.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: