OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 10:43:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does this t-shirt say?  (Read 5428 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« on: August 24, 2011, 09:04:12 PM »

What does this t-shirt say? Is it in Russian or Old Church Slavonic?

Thanks in advance!

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »

What does this t-shirt say? Is it in Russian or Old Church Slavonic?

Thanks in advance!
Orthodoxy or Death, in Slavonic and Greek.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »

Disturbing.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:13:13 PM »

WHERE did you find that t-shirt?

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:14:30 PM »

I was googling for Orthodox t-shirts.

I guess it's a no-no?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »

I was googling for Orthodox t-shirts.

I guess it's a no-no?

Yes, as I see it.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 09:22:20 PM »

It's just as well, seeing as my mom refused to let me buy it.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 09:23:35 PM »

Smart woman.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »

Take my opinion with the grain of salt.

I think the shirt can be tongue in cheek funny (but my humor is weird like that). I just don't know who is behind it, whether some gang claiming that they're Orthodox created it or some dorky guy in his mother's basement. I actually would buy that shirt and wear it around the house -- not in public if I didn't know who was behind it or created it.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 09:27:26 PM »

Smart woman.

Smiley

IsmiLiora,

It's from the Russian rock band "Alisa." They're certainly not intentionally sacrilegious as many of their songs have pro-Orthodox lyrics. They could, of course, have unintentionally made something stupid/sacrilegious.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:27:54 PM by William » Logged

Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 09:41:54 PM »

I don't particularly see anything sacriligious about it, Holy Tradition gives us the same message, it is a bit morbid however.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 09:44:14 PM »

Smart woman.

Smiley

IsmiLiora,

It's from the Russian rock band "Alisa." They're certainly not intentionally sacrilegious as many of their songs have pro-Orthodox lyrics. They could, of course, have unintentionally made something stupid/sacrilegious.
Thank you! Will check out the music and consider getting the t-shirt. Smiley

--
--
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 10:56:21 PM »

Nothing is as super-tough as Orthodoxy.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 11:02:31 PM »

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 11:23:33 PM »

If I able to grow a mane like that (which I can) does that make me tough in the Orthodox world? Oh in a month, I can grow a beard to make many a convert weep in envy as well.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 12:11:53 AM »

that tee looks to gangster/gangish.

Proverbs 22:7
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 07:25:50 AM »

I think that Mr. Ismi would want to be this dude when he grows up. Cheesy I am refusing to show him this picture lest he finds another reason to grow his hair long.

--
--
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 08:30:56 AM »

I think the shirt can be tongue in cheek funny (but my humor is weird like that). I just don't know who is behind it, whether some gang claiming that they're Orthodox created it or some dorky guy in his mother's basement. I actually would buy that shirt and wear it around the house -- not in public if I didn't know who was behind it or created it.

No, it's not funny at all. This slogan, as well as its "sister"-slogan, "Russia for Russians," is officially put in the list of extremist slogans by the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation (http://lenta.ru/news/2011/05/16/slogan/).

I can't recall at the moment, who was the person who started making these t-shirts (maybe later in the day I will obtain the information from my Russian Facebook friends). All I know is that the force, the organization behind it is clearly Fascist, ultimately xenophobic Russian chauvinist group. The people who buy these t-shirts hate everything that is beyond their chimpanzee "brain" - the West, the USA (especially), NATO, Jews, Free Masons, homosexuals, Blacks, Catholics, non-ethnic Russian citizens of their country, Chechens, Georgians, Armenians, Asians - you name it. Their "Orthodoxy" lives, is sustained, fed, exclusively by hate, which spreads also on those Russian Orthodox whom they hate for, allegedly, being ready to compromise with all these "Sodomite-Liberal-proWestern-nonRussian forces of evil." The latter include anyone who happens to say anything they don't like, for example, Fr. Deacon Andrei Kuraev (who used to be a personal favorite of the previous Patriarch of Moscow, +ALEXIUS II (Ridiger), and who actually is a rabid xenophobe and Russian chauvinist, just not passionate enough for these extremists), or even the present Patriarch of Moscow, +KIRILL (Gundyaev).

These people are a disease, a plague, an ulcer, a cancer. I cannot even begin to describe how stupid, ugly, sick, and dangerous they are. They discredit Orthodoxy like nothing else. "Thanks" to them, a term has been popularized in Russia and in Ukraine: "diagnosis, Orthodoxy of the brain" ("православиe головного мозга"). 

Love never fails.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 09:50:16 AM »

It looks reminiscent of Chetnik symbolism.  The skull and crossbones are used by them and the slogan is similar to "For the King and Fatherland, Freedom or Death."

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 08:12:05 PM »

Makes me want to go out and make a shirt with a picture of some of the people in our parish, and they're smiling, and there'll be the words, "Hi, how are you? Please visit--" and then the parish information. Sort of a happy, cheery 'opposite' of the super-serious shirt.  Smiley
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »

No, it's not funny at all. This slogan, as well as its "sister"-slogan, "Russia for Russians," is officially put in the list of extremist slogans by the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation (http://lenta.ru/news/2011/05/16/slogan/).

I can't recall at the moment, who was the person who started making these t-shirts (maybe later in the day I will obtain the information from my Russian Facebook friends). All I know is that the force, the organization behind it is clearly Fascist, ultimately xenophobic Russian chauvinist group. The people who buy these t-shirts hate everything that is beyond their chimpanzee "brain" - the West, the USA (especially), NATO, Jews, Free Masons, homosexuals, Blacks, Catholics, non-ethnic Russian citizens of their country, Chechens, Georgians, Armenians, Asians - you name it. Their "Orthodoxy" lives, is sustained, fed, exclusively by hate, which spreads also on those Russian Orthodox whom they hate for, allegedly, being ready to compromise with all these "Sodomite-Liberal-proWestern-nonRussian forces of evil." The latter include anyone who happens to say anything they don't like, for example, Fr. Deacon Andrei Kuraev (who used to be a personal favorite of the previous Patriarch of Moscow, +ALEXIUS II (Ridiger), and who actually is a rabid xenophobe and Russian chauvinist, just not passionate enough for these extremists), or even the present Patriarch of Moscow, +KIRILL (Gundyaev).

These people are a disease, a plague, an ulcer, a cancer. I cannot even begin to describe how stupid, ugly, sick, and dangerous they are. They discredit Orthodoxy like nothing else. "Thanks" to them, a term has been popularized in Russia and in Ukraine: "diagnosis, Orthodoxy of the brain" ("православиe головного мозга"). 

Just to be clear, you don't care for them? //:=)

With anger like this, you have to be in the chat room some day. You are depriving the OC.net jackals of camaraderie.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 09:30:14 AM »

Political comment has been moved to Politics.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=39163.0
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:31:07 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 10:59:55 AM »

post deleted - see Politics
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:00:53 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »

I'm not buying it.  This is biker gang Orthodoxy.  "Christians" who delight in such symbols as skulls with daggers clenched between their teeth are prey for the demons.  Their demonic insignia will only terrify other people and drive them away from Christ.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 11:37:02 AM »

Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev) has addressed this element within the Russian Church.

Biker gang Orthodoxy

Metropolitan Hilarion: 'Atheism and Orthodoxy in Modern Russia'

------------------------------------------------------------

http://en.hilarion.orthodoxia.org/6_8

This is an excellent 'talk' by Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev.)  Apart from the article's intrinsic worth the last paragraph impinges on the topic of this thread.

"The second danger is that of militant Orthodoxy, which would be a post-atheist counterpart of militant atheism. I mean an Orthodoxy that fights against Jews, against masons, against democracy, against Western culture, against enlightenment. This type of Orthodoxy is being preached even by some key members of the hierarchy, and it has many supporters within the Church. This kind of Orthodoxy, especially if it gains the support of the State, may force Russian atheism to withdraw temporarily to the catacombs. But Russian atheism, will not be vanquished until the transfiguration of the soul and the need to live according to the Gospel have become the only message of the Russian Orthodox Church."

Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »

Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev) has addressed this element within the Russian Church.

Biker gang Orthodoxy

Metropolitan Hilarion: 'Atheism and Orthodoxy in Modern Russia'

------------------------------------------------------------

http://en.hilarion.orthodoxia.org/6_8

This is an excellent 'talk' by Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev.)  Apart from the article's intrinsic worth the last paragraph impinges on the topic of this thread.

"The second danger is that of militant Orthodoxy, which would be a post-atheist counterpart of militant atheism. I mean an Orthodoxy that fights against Jews, against masons, against democracy, against Western culture, against enlightenment. This type of Orthodoxy is being preached even by some key members of the hierarchy, and it has many supporters within the Church. This kind of Orthodoxy, especially if it gains the support of the State, may force Russian atheism to withdraw temporarily to the catacombs. But Russian atheism, will not be vanquished until the transfiguration of the soul and the need to live according to the Gospel have become the only message of the Russian Orthodox Church."

He is right. I even know the names of hierarchs of the ROC who represent exactly this kind of "anti-whatever" quasi-Orthodoxy.

Orthodox (or "Orthodox") newspapers, bulletin boards, pamphlets in Russia and Ukraine are full of this idiocy. They fight vaccination of children, juvenile justice, "globalization," evolution, non-abusive parenting methods, the use of vernacular in Liturgy, trimming of beards and hair, etc. etc. etc. All that they make look like major, central issues in Orthodoxy.

Love never fails.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 12:17:25 PM »

Here is their site

http://www.pycckie.org/info/index.shtml

Lots of photos in the galleries - some quite ominous and threatening. 

For English, Google  "Union of the Orthodox Banner-Bearers." It's Clockwork Orange meets Czarist Black Squadrons. "Russia for Russians!" "Orthodoxy or Death!" They take a dim view of non-Russian generally.

They are were established in 1992 with the blessing of Metropolitan Ioann (Snychev) whose writings are virulently anti-semitic.  However since his death it has been claimed the anti-semitic writings were from the pen of his secretary.  I don't know how credible that is.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 12:28:18 PM »

Also popular..... Rasputin...

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »

^ Oh wow.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 01:03:09 PM »

L.D. Simonovich-Nikshich, the head of this "Union of Orthodox Banner-Bearers," is notorious for presiding over actions of book-burning. The "Banner-Bearers", under his direction, burned books by Charles Darwin and Eduard Radzinskiy (a Russian historian who investigated the murder of Tzar Nicholas and his family - apparently, not showing enough of the "Russian Spirit"). A blog titled "Govnomer" (literally, "Sh*t Measurer") quotes Simonovich saying, during this action, "yes, we are the Holy Inquisition. Just like we have fought heresies for centuries, we will keep doing it." (http://www.grani.ru/blogs/govnomer/entries/189290.html)

Love never fails.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 01:22:03 PM »

L.D. Simonovich-Nikshich, the head of this "Union of Orthodox Banner-Bearers," is notorious for presiding over actions of book-burning. The "Banner-Bearers", under his direction, burned books by Charles Darwin and Eduard Radzinskiy (a Russian historian who investigated the murder of Tzar Nicholas and his family - apparently, not showing enough of the "Russian Spirit"). A blog titled "Govnomer" (literally, "Sh*t Measurer") quotes Simonovich saying, during this action, "yes, we are the Holy Inquisition. Just like we have fought heresies for centuries, we will keep doing it." (http://www.grani.ru/blogs/govnomer/entries/189290.html)

Oh, and how could I forget: earlier this month, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow awarded this nutbolt, Simonovich-Nikshich, with a medal of honor:

http://texas-88.livejournal.com/81870.html

Love never fails.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 02:29:53 PM »

^ Oh wow.

Xpln? <3?

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2011, 04:25:30 PM »

So, there is an actual association of "banner-bearers'. And I thought I was being funny, when, in a church full of "unworthy readers & subdeacons" I ironically called myself an "unworthy banner bearer". Roll Eyes
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »

I feel stupid now.

Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2011, 09:48:14 AM »

I feel stupid now.

Don't. No reason at all. Unfortunately, the West is shielded from the objective truth about Russian "Orthodoxy."

Love never fails.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »

I feel stupid now.

Don't. No reason at all. Unfortunately, the West is shielded from the objective truth about Russian "Orthodoxy."
Shielded by what.

To the OP, why?  You didn't know, and you asked. Better that than thinking it's OK and falling pray.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »

Shielded by what.
[/quote]

By sweet and abysmally false myth about Holy Mother Russia being a beacon of true Orthodoxy for a millenium.

Love never fails.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »

The people who buy these t-shirts hate everything that is beyond their chimpanzee "brain"

These people are a disease, a plague, an ulcer, a cancer. I cannot even begin to describe how stupid, ugly, sick, and dangerous they are.

From your signature:
Love never fails.

You're an inspiration.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:57:12 AM by tuesdayschild » Logged
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2011, 01:26:28 PM »

The people who buy these t-shirts hate everything that is beyond their chimpanzee "brain"

These people are a disease, a plague, an ulcer, a cancer. I cannot even begin to describe how stupid, ugly, sick, and dangerous they are.

From your signature:
Love never fails.

You're an inspiration.

I appreciate your sarcasm. However, there is no contradiction. I am learning to love all people, including those who are a disease, a plague, an ulcer, a cancer, stupid, ugly, sick, and dangerous. St. Paul, who certainly knew about love, is my inspiration in that (Romans 1:29-32). I know I have to love them, and I already do, in a way, because I pray for them (there exists, as you know, an Orthodox prayer for my enemies), and I sincerely wish them to repent and be saved and enter the Kingdom of God. But my love for them does not make them less of "a disease, a plague," etc. Unfortunately. I wish it would.  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 01:27:14 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »

From your signature:
Love never fails.

You're an inspiration.

I appreciate your sarcasm. However, there is no contradiction. I am learning to love all people, including those who are a disease, a plague, an ulcer, a cancer, stupid, ugly, sick, and dangerous. St. Paul, who certainly knew about love, is my inspiration in that (Romans 1:29-32). I know I have to love them, and I already do, in a way, because I pray for them (there exists, as you know, an Orthodox prayer for my enemies), and I sincerely wish them to repent and be saved and enter the Kingdom of God. But my love for them does not make them less of "a disease, a plague," etc. Unfortunately. I wish it would.  

Well, then, keep reading St. Paul.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »

Shielded by what?

By sweet and abysmally false myth about Holy Mother Russia being a beacon of true Orthodoxy for a millenium.
Holy Mother Russia has quite a number of witness before the Judgement Seat in her defense:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:50:31 PM by ialmisry » Logged

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2011, 06:01:38 PM »

I really recommend moving to the Private Foras because one of you can lost control and unpleasant things will happen.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: