OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 05:47:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Czech for Beginners  (Read 587 times) Average Rating: 0
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« on: August 21, 2011, 07:12:09 PM »

Does anyone have any resources for someone accustomed to learning foreign language, but no experience in Czech or, for that matter, any of the slavic languages

my history is french for four years in HS , and entering my fifth year(1st in uni, and most likely a french major), and two years of latin (not contiuning)

SCREW BON JOVI!
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:00:55 AM »

go to prague.
say 'dobry den' (?wrong spelling) to everyone.
it means 'hello'.
everyone is so nice and polite, you will love it there and you will then be motivated to learn the language properly!
if you do actually go, there is a lovely russian orthodox church in the south of the city.

seriously though, get free lessons from internet and buy a phrase-book.
once (if) you finish the phrase book, it means you're ready to invest proper money and learn it properly.
 Smiley
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »

Does anyone have any resources for someone accustomed to learning foreign language, but no experience in Czech or, for that matter, any of the slavic languages

my history is french for four years in HS , and entering my fifth year(1st in uni, and most likely a french major), and two years of latin (not contiuning)
Are you in the Czech Republic?

I only dabbled in Czech when I when there, just before communism fell (it was few of communist states where you were always aware you were in a commmunist state).  The resources were very sparse, as Czech is not exactly in high demand.

I was quite pleased (and the Czechs in utter shock) that I could pronounce  Ř
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%98
correctly according to their ears.

You can go through the wikipedia articles, which are accurate enough if not full enough, to get an idea of what you are getting yourself into, and then go on (if you still want) to Routledge's essential language
http://books.google.com/books?id=huHvHt6hIGoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Czech+a+grammar&hl=en#v=onepage&q=Czech%20a%20grammar&f=false
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:08:48 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:18:09 AM »

wow, you pronounced the r with the hat!
respect! laugh
i couldn't manage that during my 3 day stay, but then i have a problem with 'r's anyway!
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 11:29:22 PM »

You definitely want something audio related, because Czech words are whack. My relatives howled at my pronunciation when I visited them. Sad

I can't find the one that I used on Amazon, but it was a set of 6 CDs. You'll want to start with the basics just to get the pronunciation down. (At least that is my opinion) I have one of the Lonely Planet phrasebooks, which is good to flip through for some more commonly used words and cultural notes, so I would just buy one to look through.

I actually have an extra one if you want it. PM me and I can send it to you sometime.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: