OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:21:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Podcast roll call!  (Read 3456 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2011, 12:09:03 PM »

Hey, Roads from Emmaus hasn't been updated as much lately. What's with the slacking?

What, are you paying for this or something?  Smiley  (And how many copies of my book have you bought, hmm?)

RFE is recordings of talks that I give, whether at various parishes or elsewhere or as classes at my own parish (mostly the latter).  As such, it follows both when I actually do such talks and also when I feel that the talks are in the right level of polish to be worth recording.  There will always be gaps, because such things tend to be seasonal.  I also happen to have a number of talks I've done this year which are kind of on the "edge" for me and so I want to work on them some more.

I'm actually teaching an Introduction to Orthodoxy series right now at my parish, but because it's mostly extemporaneous and because there is a lot of that kind of thing out there already, I'm not recording it.

Excuses, excuses.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2011, 07:41:54 PM »

Let My Prayer Arise with Fr. Wilbur David Ellsworth is pretty good, practical meditations on the Psalms as the Church prays them.

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/letmyprayer
vorgos

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 05:10:52 AM »

Search the Scriptures with Dr. Jeannie Constantinou

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/searchthescriptures

I know some people complain about her speaking style, that it's like she's talking down to you, but I find it very crisp and direct. She does a topic by topic Bible study, right now she's on Elijah. I like that she tackles topics you wouldn't necessarily find in your average Bible study such as whether Solomon ultimately repented of his sin and how the Fathers disagree on it.

I also found it a bit hard at times, in the beginning. It doesn't bother me much now. I thought I heard her say in the intro episodes that she taught young children so it may have stuck and she doesn't realise it!  Smiley
vorgos

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 05:41:49 AM »

Gotta watch out for Jeannie's theology; that's all I've got to say.

What's wrong with her theology?
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 08:22:12 AM »

Also, I like Faith and Philosophy with Clark Carlton, even though he comes across as a smug, sniffling weasel of a guy, like he knows everything. Some of the episodes are more like rants by talk show hosts, and everything that he does is scripted/pre-written, which can get a little too much like a audiobook for my taste, but beneath all of that, he really does have some good ideas. He really hasn't been doing much with it over the last couple of years, but every once and a while he'll throw an episode up. But there's a lot of good stuff on there from the older years and each episode is only like 10 to 15 minutes long, so you move through them pretty quickly.
I'm just glad that there is also a home in Orthodoxy for soulless, greedy Libertarians like Clark and me. laugh

Clark Carlton's podcast is the only one I listen regularly and really look forward for the next episode. There are many others that are good too, but I pick and choose among them.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2011, 10:13:41 AM »

I quite enjoy Jotting From The Holy Mountain with Fr. Meletios.  Rarely is there much theological content, but that is not the point of the podcast.  It is interesting to hear about the workings of a monastery and I really like Fr. Meletios' voice.  A Voice From The Isles is another one I listen to.  It is just weekly sermons, but it is something I can listen to in the car on the way to the office.  The sermons tend to be pretty good and I do like the Irish accents.

As far as Our Life In Christ goes...  I will defend it as it was the first Orthodox podcast I ever listened to.  There was some good stuff for me there as a post-Evangelical, presenting information at a rate that I could take it in.  It was an important source for me early on and I will always be thankful for it.  That being said, I got to a point where I couldn't do it anymore.  Good for a very specific demographic in a certain place at a certain time.  After breaking up with Evangelicalism, they were my rebound.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:14:20 AM by KBN1 » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2011, 10:20:35 AM »

OK we know Fr. Thomas Hopko PWNS . . .

Seriously, I've yet to hear an untrained person try to do 45+ minutes of what amounts to radio and be at ease as he is.

My internet is running OUT! And I would like to get some new material and trash whatever you think passes muster.

Definitely go to www.Ourlifeinchrist.com and look through the archives listed by category on the right hand side of the Home Page. The two guys who do the show are layman and converts. They do a really good job. They have done shows on all the hot button topics. I know you will like them Norm.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:23:46 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 10:47:01 AM »

I really enjoy Fr. Matthew's A Word from the Holy Fathers. He takes some passages from the fathers and gives a commentary on how we can apply them. I like it a lot. Unfortunately he hasn't put any new episodes up since 2010.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 11:41:35 AM »

I have to say I can't stand the introductory music and announcements in most of these podcasts. They seem to go out of their way to find men with the smarmiest voices in Christendom to introduce the material. It's always a relief that the priests and scholars who actually give the talk don't usually speak that way.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 12:59:52 PM »

I have to say I can't stand the introductory music and announcements in most of these podcasts. They seem to go out of their way to find men with the smarmiest voices in Christendom to introduce the material. It's always a relief that the priests and scholars who actually give the talk don't usually speak that way.
Yeah  laugh. Before he converted, the guy who does those was actually a director of the Moody Bible Institute's radio stations and even worked for Focus on the Family.
asdamick
I'm Lithuanian Orthodox. You've probably never heard of it.

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2011, 01:24:15 PM »

Yeah  laugh. Before he converted, the guy who does those was actually a director of the Moody Bible Institute's radio stations and even worked for Focus on the Family.

John Maddex is a great asset to Orthodox Christians in America and throughout the English-speaking world.  His natural speaking voice happens to sound very "radio."  I suppose some might regard the voice God gave him and others as "smarmy," but, like it or not, "radio voices" are the general standard for announcers.

I, for one, am extremely proud to be associated with him.  May God grant him many, many years.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:25:29 PM by asdamick » Logged
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »

Yeah  laugh. Before he converted, the guy who does those was actually a director of the Moody Bible Institute's radio stations and even worked for Focus on the Family.

John Maddex is a great asset to Orthodox Christians in America and throughout the English-speaking world.  His natural speaking voice happens to sound very "radio."  I suppose some might regard the voice God gave him and others as "smarmy," but, like it or not, "radio voices" are the general standard for announcers.

I, for one, am extremely proud to be associated with him.  May God grant him many, many years.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't like the guy. He's obviously a very dedicated man of God and I thankl God for his labors at AFR. I'm just not a fan of radio voices personally.
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »

... he's done so far a three-parter on Orthodoxy and ecology called "This Holy Earth."

Are you able to provide a link to this please?

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »

I know some people complain about her speaking style, that it's like she's talking down to you, but I find it very crisp and direct. She does a topic by topic Bible study, right now she's on Elijah. I like that she tackles topics you wouldn't necessarily find in your average Bible study such as whether Solomon ultimately repented of his sin and how the Fathers disagree on it.

I also found it a bit hard at times, in the beginning. It doesn't bother me much now. I thought I heard her say in the intro episodes that she taught young children so it may have stuck and she doesn't realise it!  Smiley

Yes, I remember her saying that in one podcast.

I like her a lot.  I like the fact that she gives us what to expect in an academic setting.  I remember her saying this is no longer Sunday School.  We no longer drink milk, we should be ready for the meat.  Even though she may sound like a mother talking to a child, she does have excellent content.  My choice for her comes from the fact that I feel I need to have a strong foundation on Scriptures.  I think Orthodox have a propensity to be weak in Scripture and more on history and Church fathers.  So choosing her was based on what subject I was looking for, and that was Bible study.  On top of that, due to my busy life and my large amounts of driving, and the fact that now I have an iPhone and a bluetooth transmitter for the car, it is enjoyable to use my time in driving listening to these podcasts.  I just wish there was a button on my bluetooth thingy that would go back one minute just in case I was paying more attention to the road or something.

Her theology?  Well, I don't question her theology at all.  I can understand how many of the things may be controversial, but in actuality, as I understand it, this is the type of stuff taught in seminaries, no?  And I feel I appreciate her more when she shares these views even if one may disagree with them simply because this is something you will have to deal with when talking to "scholars."  But I'll be honest, I never really heard anything she said that counts as "shady" or "unOrthodox."  She definitely does a wonderful job catering to a Patristic audience in my opinion.

Next, I also wanted to learn American History of Orthodoxy, so naturally Matthew Namee is my other podcast.  It's interesting though that my two choices of podcasts also have them not updating their podcasts for a while.  If ever I listen to all of them, then I'll look elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:08:02 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
vorgos

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »

Yes, I remember her saying that in one podcast.

I like her a lot.  I like the fact that she gives us what to expect in an academic setting.  I remember her saying this is no longer Sunday School.  We no longer drink milk, we should be ready for the meat.  Even though she may sound like a mother talking to a child, she does have excellent content.  My choice for her comes from the fact that I feel I need to have a strong foundation on Scriptures.  I think Orthodox have a propensity to be weak in Scripture and more on history and Church fathers.  So choosing her was based on what subject I was looking for, and that was Bible study.  On top of that, due to my busy life and my large amounts of driving, and the fact that now I have an iPhone and a bluetooth transmitter for the car, it is enjoyable to use my time in driving listening to these podcasts.  I just wish there was a button on my bluetooth thingy that would go back one minute just in case I was paying more attention to the road or something.

Her theology?  Well, I don't question her theology at all.  I can understand how many of the things may be controversial, but in actuality, as I understand it, this is the type of stuff taught in seminaries, no?  And I feel I appreciate her more when she shares these views even if one may disagree with them simply because this is something you will have to deal with when talking to "scholars."  But I'll be honest, I never really heard anything she said that counts as "shady" or "unOrthodox."  She definitely does a wonderful job catering to a Patristic audience in my opinion.

Next, I also wanted to learn American History of Orthodoxy, so naturally Matthew Namee is my other podcast.  It's interesting though that my two choices of podcasts also have them not updating their podcasts for a while.  If ever I listen to all of them, then I'll look elsewhere.

I recently finished the last episode in her series and I must say that the series has been an eyeopener for me. The amount of information is amazing and I think I will have to listen to the whole series again!

I dont know what I would do without my portable player. After staring at a computer monitor all day, the idea of going home and reading the small print of a book is not very enticing. For me it is also a way to get motivated to get outside for a walk. A two hour walk is nothing when you listen to Dr Jeanne or other such podcasts.

Likewise I have not heard anything unOrthodox but at my level of understanding I am not sure I'm the best judge...

It's a pity we can't have her podcast transcribed. She apparently is worried about copyright issues with the material quoted. A shame. It is hard to search for things in audio files...
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »

I have to say I can't stand the introductory music and announcements in most of these podcasts.

Thank you and quoted for agreement!

It may sound trivial to focus on the intros (and certainly no offense intended to the announcer, although I too wish he would bring it down a notch), but the music frequently sets a "negative tone" for me heading in (Speaking the Love in the Truth is an exception; it's relatively simple and short).  I usually feel like I'm getting ready to watch a Suze Orman lecture, or that the lady with the giant wig from the TBN network is going to appear.

Although the intro is not particularly horrible, A Word from the Holy Fathers, despite only being about 12-15 minutes long on average, has what seems to be a 6 minute introduction. I don't need to have Fr. Dcn. Mathew's CV read every time I tune in.  Otherwise, it's a very helpful series.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:16:36 PM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »

I appreciated her defense of St. John Chrysostom against accusations of anti-Semitism.  Not only did it better explain the meaning of St. John's frequently proof-texted writings, but it provided a helpful context for early Christianity.  The explanation seems particularly relevant, given the abundance of Judaizing trends we're seeing.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »

Oh sorry. I meant to talk more about RFE.

It's a collection of long sermons.

Talks, really.  Sermons that long would send the people into the snooze.  (If my 10-minute ones on Sunday morning don't already.)

I wonder how people were feeling as they stood through St. Gregory Palamas' second homily on the Entry of the Theotokos...

stewie

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2012, 12:22:44 PM »

Certainly everyone has their own preferences and tolerance for voices, affectations, etc.  Of the AFR/OCN podcasts, the only ones I've been able to listen to consistently over the years are Fr. Hopko's.  I like the conversational, off-the-cuff style of his ramblings. 

I also really enjoy listening to Fr. Evan Armitas of St. Spyridon in Colorado.  Can't remember how I first discovered his podcasts, but he has a great way of relating and expressing himself.  But for those of you expecting a polished, radio-ready program, forget it.  Fr. Evan simply records his classes and sermons and posts them up.  Often you miss half of the discussion he's having with a parishioner in a class.  The audio is not the greatest.  But I gotta say he has a great way of teaching scripture that really connects.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/st-spyridon-podcast-feed/id269653573
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2012, 01:50:13 AM »

... he's done so far a three-parter on Orthodoxy and ecology called "This Holy Earth."

Are you able to provide a link to this please?
Link to part 1. http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/emmaus/this_holy_earth_-_ecological_vision_in_the_cosmic_cathedral_-_part_1

The other two parts can be found by clicking on the logo and scrolling down through the episode index.
vorgos

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2012, 04:56:03 AM »

Certainly everyone has their own preferences and tolerance for voices, affectations, etc.  Of the AFR/OCN podcasts, the only ones I've been able to listen to consistently over the years are Fr. Hopko's.  I like the conversational, off-the-cuff style of his ramblings. 

I also really enjoy listening to Fr. Evan Armitas of St. Spyridon in Colorado.  Can't remember how I first discovered his podcasts, but he has a great way of relating and expressing himself.  But for those of you expecting a polished, radio-ready program, forget it.  Fr. Evan simply records his classes and sermons and posts them up.  Often you miss half of the discussion he's having with a parishioner in a class.  The audio is not the greatest.  But I gotta say he has a great way of teaching scripture that really connects.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/st-spyridon-podcast-feed/id269653573

God bless Fr Evan. His was the second religious podcast I ever listened to. Great stuff. Wonder why it isnt on AFR. Hopefully in a year or two Smiley they will move on to the Gospel of John. I especially like how he goes off on tangents. Those episodes are often some of the best ones!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:59:53 AM by vorgos » Logged
vorgos

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2012, 05:13:49 AM »

I appreciated her defense of St. John Chrysostom against accusations of anti-Semitism.  Not only did it better explain the meaning of St. John's frequently proof-texted writings, but it provided a helpful context for early Christianity.  The explanation seems particularly relevant, given the abundance of Judaizing trends we're seeing.

Right. The cultural context she provides is extremely helpful. I remember once getting furious upon reading a part in the OT where God orders the old tribes to be destroyed. I wonder, how many reached that part, got angry, closed the book and never looked back?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »

Turning to the Fathers

Yes, I definitely second this one! Smiley
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: