OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 10:56:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Podcast roll call!  (Read 4065 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« on: August 24, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »

OK we know Fr. Thomas Hopko PWNS . . .

Seriously, I've yet to hear an untrained person try to do 45+ minutes of what amounts to radio and be at ease as he is.

My internet is running OUT! And I would like to get some new material and trash whatever you think passes muster.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 05:56:54 PM »

OK, first a positive shout:

Glory be to God by Fr. Stephen Freeman

The guy doesn't scream charisma. And it took me a few episodes to get over his rather coffee drip approach to speaking. He don't get fired up.

But he started with a general theme I think is important to knock out of Christians heads. He calls it the Two Story Universe.

He takes this important and absurd notion many Christians (I am looking at most of you) have about the nature of creation and guts it, episode by episode in a more pastoral than academic approach.

The episodes don't make you want to flee to the desert, yell at someone on OC.net, or find yet another book to research, but rather leave you reflecting on how seriously you take the Incarnational nature of reality and the reject the idea of the Two Story Universe.

Can't listen to many in a row. He just doesn't have the attention holding power. And that is OK. Fr. Stephen does an excellent job of weaving his insights and how they have had informed his life and might inform yours.

He's on a similar mission as some us, trying to take the Living God of the Hebrews out of the shadow of the god of Plato and Plotinus, but he does so in an unassuming, gentle, and very approachable and pastoral manner.

Highly recommended. Even to those who might find it wanting at first. Give it a few times from the beginning.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 06:03:38 PM »

Now a Boo! After all, bad reviews bring in more attention.

One of the worst podcasts ever in content and delivery.

It is Orthodoxy for Ned Flanders or:

Our Life in Christ by I ain't taking the time to find out.

I knew I wrote something about it once here, so I am quoting me, back when I was young . . . Note the echoes of humility leaving me:

Dave,

While I have found their podcast to be somewhat informative, it is a bit grating and the shows become rather formulaic: Orthodox, chuckle, juridical, Western rational mindset, chuckle, Eastern mindset, oh boy, juridical, Fullness of the Church, chuckle, sola scriptura, baggage to unpack, chuckle, Scholasticism, juridical, chuckle, etc.

I know little about Orthodoxy, but even so, they make some rather incredible off-the-cuff statements which they would be hard-pressed to defend.

The show also is geared toward Evangelicals.

My favorite podcast for learning about Orthodoxy from AFR is "Speaking the Truth in Love" by Fr. Thomas Hopko.

FWIW.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:04:24 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 07:52:20 PM »

Wello, aside from Fr Hopko's podcasts which I like, especially the variety of topics covered, there are a few others I listen to. "At the Intersection of East and West", "Coffee Cop Commentaries", I particularly liked "In the Valley of the Shadow of Death", "Orthodixie", "Roads to Emmaus", and I found some of the podcasts in "Search the Scriptures" about the development of scripture, manuscript traditions, etc to be useful.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »

Search the Scriptures with Dr. Jeannie Constantinou

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/searchthescriptures

I know some people complain about her speaking style, that it's like she's talking down to you, but I find it very crisp and direct. She does a topic by topic Bible study, right now she's on Elijah. I like that she tackles topics you wouldn't necessarily find in your average Bible study such as whether Solomon ultimately repented of his sin and how the Fathers disagree on it.

That's one of her most valuable services, in fact, connecting the passage she is discussing with Patristic commentary, especially Saint John Chrysostom. And most importantly, her lectures are always very Christocentric.

My only point against her is I wish she would touch on the original languages more. I know some people won't like the "basic" character of much of what she says (the podcast is called Bible study for busy people). But as someone who has a history of focusing too much on the complex and esoteric perhaps at the expense of more basic things I think it's important to just stop once in a while and feed on the pure milk of the Word.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 08:15:10 PM »

Roads from Emmaus with Father Andrew Stephen Damick

I really can't praise Fr. Andrew enough. If I ultimately wind up becoming Orthodox, he'll definitely be one of the people most responsible, especially for making clear to me St. Ignatius and the other early Fathers' beliefs in the Real Presence and other Orthodox doctrines, both in this thematic podcast and in his superb Orthodoxy and Heresy.

He also has a very precise and easy to listen to speaking voice.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 09:40:22 PM »

I know some people complain about her speaking style, that it's like she's talking down to you, but I find it very crisp and direct. She does a topic by topic Bible study, right now she's on Elijah. I like that she tackles topics you wouldn't necessarily find in your average Bible study such as whether Solomon ultimately repented of his sin and how the Fathers disagree on it.

That's one of her most valuable services, in fact, connecting the passage she is discussing with Patristic commentary, especially Saint John Chrysostom. And most importantly, her lectures are always very Christocentric.

My only point against her is I wish she would touch on the original languages more. I know some people won't like the "basic" character of much of what she says (the podcast is called Bible study for busy people). But as someone who has a history of focusing too much on the complex and esoteric perhaps at the expense of more basic things I think it's important to just stop once in a while and feed on the pure milk of the Word.

I agree with all of these points.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 10:18:59 PM »

Wello, aside from Fr Hopko's podcasts which I like, especially the variety of topics covered, there are a few others I listen to. "At the Intersection of East and West", "Coffee Cop Commentaries", I particularly liked "In the Valley of the Shadow of Death", "Orthodixie", "Roads to Emmaus", and I found some of the podcasts in "Search the Scriptures" about the development of scripture, manuscript traditions, etc to be useful.

Gadzooks man, slow down. I can't write that fast . . .

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 10:25:01 PM »

My list of Orthodox podcasts (alphabetical):

American Orthodox History
Ancient Faith Presents...
The Arena
At the Intersection of East and West
Between Two Worlds
Beyond the Veil
Close to Home
Come Receive the Light
Conversations with Metropolitan Jonah
Encountering Eastern Orthodoxy Conference
Faith and Philosophy
Frederica Here and Now
Glory to God
Glory to Thee (for chanters)
Harmony of Thunder
Healing
Hearts and Minds
The Illumined Heart
Journeys to Orthodoxy
Let My Prayer Arise
Musings from the High Desert
OCN Now
Orthodixie
Orthodox Christians on the Front Lines
Our Life in Christ
Paradosis
Pastoral Ponderings
Pilgrims from Paradise
Postcards from Greece
Roads From Emmaus
Search the Scriptures
Sermons at St. Nicholas
Society of Biblical Literature Interviews
Speaking the Truth in Love
Special Moments in Orthodoxy
Steve the Builder
Sweeter Than Honey
Theologically Thinking from the Orthodox Christian Network
Turning to the Fathers
A Voice From The Isles
Voices From St. Vladimir's Seminary
A Word from the Holy Fathers
Worship in Spirit and Truth

I also subscribe to davidpwithun on YouTube...

*gasps for air*
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:27:22 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 10:26:33 PM »

I agree with you, orthonorm, regarding Fr. Stephen Freeman (good review, btw!). His is one of the few AFR podcasts that I still download from time to time. I appreciate that his podcasts/sermons are short, pastoral, and sincere.

I have also enjoyed many of The Illumined Heart interviews with Kevin Allen. He has interviewed converts from Buddhism, Hinduism, and the occult. He's also interviewed Fr. Seraphim Rose's spiritual son: Fr. Damascene, the author of The Mountain of Silence: Kyriacos C. Markides, and many other interesting guests. I recommend going through some of the archives.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 10:32:47 PM »

God I wish I could listen to her.

It ain't just that she speaking down, it is an affectation which is put on. It is overly enunciation for an American. Dollars to donuts she was on "speech" team in HS or the like.

What she would probably give her left arm for is . . . I can't remember what smart people call it, but it something certain folks in America learn in certain social circles and schools, and is dying out. A mixture of Received Pronunciation, Mid-Atlantic, with a touch of Southern Aristocratic drawl.

Had a Classics Professors from Yale who attempted to speak like the above all the time and obviously came to it too late in life. I had to drop her class.

Anyway Jeannie ain't even doing that, she is over-enunciating. It is odd and off-putting and anyone with an ear for the American tongue can hear it. Wish she didn't. Cause her content is great if at a slow speed, a really slow speed.

Maybe I'll try it again.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 10:32:51 PM »

I like Fr. Andrew, who did the Orthdoxy and Heterodoxy podcasts, and he is also doing Roads to Emmaus now, but that hasn't been updated in a while.

Also, I like Faith and Philosophy with Clark Carlton, even though he comes across as a smug, sniffling weasel of a guy, like he knows everything. Some of the episodes are more like rants by talk show hosts, and everything that he does is scripted/pre-written, which can get a little too much like a audiobook for my taste, but beneath all of that, he really does have some good ideas. He really hasn't been doing much with it over the last couple of years, but every once and a while he'll throw an episode up. But there's a lot of good stuff on there from the older years and each episode is only like 10 to 15 minutes long, so you move through them pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:34:15 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 10:36:14 PM »

God I wish I could listen to her.

It ain't just that she speaking down, it is an affectation which is put on. It is overly enunciation for an American. Dollars to donuts she was on "speech" team in HS or the like.

What she would probably give her left arm for is . . . I can't remember what smart people call it, but it something certain folks in America learn in certain social circles and schools, and is dying out. A mixture of Received Pronunciation, Mid-Atlantic, with a touch of Southern Aristocratic drawl.

Had a Classics Professors from Yale who attempted to speak like the above all the time and obviously came to it too late in life. I had to drop her class.

Anyway Jeannie ain't even doing that, she is over-enunciating. It is odd and off-putting and anyone with an ear for the American tongue can hear it. Wish she didn't. Cause her content is great if at a slow speed, a really slow speed.

Maybe I'll try it again.

Her recent podcasts have all been in the style of a university setting, but going into more depth since its an Orthodox audience. Still being in college, I guess I like that more, but I can see how it can be off-putting to some people. But she definitely is a nice, reachable person. I contacted her while in Greece because I knew she did the podcast on Revelation and I had concerns about some things (mainly related to claims made by my Old Calendarist friend) and she helped clear them up for me really well!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 10:36:19 PM »

The Arena
Between Two Worlds
Beyond the Veil
Close to Home
Come Receive the Light
Faith and Philosophy
Frederica Here and Now
Glory to God
Harmony of Thunder
Healing
Hearts and Minds
The Illumined Heart
Journeys to Orthodoxy
Let My Prayer Arise
OCN Now
Orthodixie
Our Life in Christ
Paradosis
Pastoral Ponderings
Pilgrims from Paradise
Postcards from Greece
Roads From Emmaus
Search the Scriptures
Sermons at St. Nicholas
Steve the Builder
Sweeter Than Honey
Turning to the Fathers
A Voice From The Isles

*gasps for air*

Dude, this ain't well I don't know, listbook. Try to take some of the better ones and elaborate on why you like them.

Give a review. At least three or four sentence. It ain't like your name carries a lot of weight, especially when you suggest 382 podcasts.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 10:38:05 PM »

The Arena
Between Two Worlds
Beyond the Veil
Close to Home
Come Receive the Light
Faith and Philosophy
Frederica Here and Now
Glory to God
Harmony of Thunder
Healing
Hearts and Minds
The Illumined Heart
Journeys to Orthodoxy
Let My Prayer Arise
OCN Now
Orthodixie
Our Life in Christ
Paradosis
Pastoral Ponderings
Pilgrims from Paradise
Postcards from Greece
Roads From Emmaus
Search the Scriptures
Sermons at St. Nicholas
Steve the Builder
Sweeter Than Honey
Turning to the Fathers
A Voice From The Isles

*gasps for air*

Dude, this ain't well I don't know, listbook. Try to take some of the better ones and elaborate on why you like them.

Give a review. At least three or four sentence. It ain't like your name carries a lot of weight, especially when you suggest 382 podcasts.

I didn't know if you had ITunes, I just figured that if did have it, you could go on and subscribe to them, but I guess I could give a review of my favorite ones, though most of them have been mentioned already.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 10:39:04 PM »

I agree with you, orthonorm, regarding Fr. Stephen Freeman (good review, btw!). His is one of the few AFR podcasts that I still download from time to time. I appreciate that his podcasts/sermons are short, pastoral, and sincere.

I have also enjoyed many of The Illumined Heart interviews with Kevin Allen. He has interviewed converts from Buddhism, Hinduism, and the occult. He's also interviewed Fr. Seraphim Rose's spiritual son: Fr. Damascene, the author of The Mountain of Silence: Kyriacos C. Markides, and many other interesting guests. I recommend going through some of the archives.

Will do! I always start with podcast one. I am neurotic like that. //:-)

If I see a TV show at someone's house and find myself getting into it. I stop and start from the beginning of the show.

Actually, he has also interviewed my Priest IIRC.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 10:40:06 PM »

Can you amplify on "In the Valley of the Shadow of Death"? Never even heard of it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:40:13 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 10:42:56 PM »

I really can't praise Fr. Andrew enough. If I ultimately wind up becoming Orthodox, he'll definitely be one of the people most responsible, especially for making clear to me St. Ignatius and the other early Fathers' beliefs in the Real Presence and other Orthodox doctrines, both in this thematic podcast and in his superb Orthodoxy and Heresy.

If you are referring to Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy, I guess . . .

Seems popular among some of the converts and inquirers.

Rather basic and dry to me.

What is his Roads from Emmaus like? Thematically and the like.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 10:43:41 PM »

Also, I like Faith and Philosophy with Clark Carlton, even though he comes across as a smug, sniffling weasel of a guy, like he knows everything. Some of the episodes are more like rants by talk show hosts, and everything that he does is scripted/pre-written, which can get a little too much like a audiobook for my taste, but beneath all of that, he really does have some good ideas. He really hasn't been doing much with it over the last couple of years, but every once and a while he'll throw an episode up. But there's a lot of good stuff on there from the older years and each episode is only like 10 to 15 minutes long, so you move through them pretty quickly.
I'm just glad that there is also a home in Orthodoxy for soulless, greedy Libertarians like Clark and me. laugh
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »

The Arena
Between Two Worlds
Beyond the Veil
Close to Home
Come Receive the Light
Faith and Philosophy
Frederica Here and Now
Glory to God
Harmony of Thunder
Healing
Hearts and Minds
The Illumined Heart
Journeys to Orthodoxy
Let My Prayer Arise
OCN Now
Orthodixie
Our Life in Christ
Paradosis
Pastoral Ponderings
Pilgrims from Paradise
Postcards from Greece
Roads From Emmaus
Search the Scriptures
Sermons at St. Nicholas
Steve the Builder
Sweeter Than Honey
Turning to the Fathers
A Voice From The Isles

*gasps for air*

I didn't know if you had ITunes, I just figured that if did have it, you could go on and subscribe to them, but I guess I could give a review of my favorite ones, though most of them have been mentioned already.

Of course I can.

Dude, this about communicating and sharing.

I am trying to build a village hear. We have a child to raise.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 10:45:08 PM »

One that hasn't been mentioned is "The Path" on Ancient Faith Radio. It is by Fr. Tom Soroka, and it basically is the gospel and epistle readings for every day, with commentary. It also has the lives of the Saints in there, and sometimes readings from the Fathers. They are all very brief, under 10 minutes, typically around 3-5 minutes long.

I will say that pretty much anything from Ancient Faith Radio and Orthodox Christian Network is good. I don't like to listen to Fr. Peter-Michael Preble or Archbishop Lazar Puhalo though. I'm not quite sure why I don't like to listen to Fr. Peter-Michael Preble though, I think it was because he seemed a bit too Western too me, but I don't remember. And well, don't get me started an Archbishop Lazar Puhalo... ugh...

If there is something I don't like, or that I don't agree with, I remove it immediately. So I would recommend everything in that list. Though I don't really know how to describe them, I just listen to them and what they have to say. Often I don't even pay attention to which specific podcast or person I'm listening to.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:47:44 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 10:46:34 PM »

I like Fr. Andrew, who did the Orthdoxy and Heterodoxy podcasts, and he is also doing Roads to Emmaus now, but that hasn't been updated in a while.

Man, Hammer Nail.

Couldn't put my finger on why I couldn't get around his delivery.

You described it perfectly.

Thank you for that alone. Nice job on picking up that it is pre-written, I was worried he WAS that robotic.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 10:46:46 PM »

Fr. Hopko's "Names of Jesus" series was quite good.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 10:49:35 PM »

One that hasn't been mentioned is "The Path" on Ancient Faith Radio. It is by Fr. Tom Soroka, and it basically is the gospel and epistle readings for every day, with commentary. It also has the lives of the Saints in there, and sometimes readings from the Fathers. They are all very brief, under 10 minutes, typically around 3-5 minutes long.

I will say that pretty much anything from Ancient Faith Radio and Orthodox Christian Network is good. I don't like to listen to Fr. Peter-Michael Preble or Archbishop Lazar Puhalo though. I'm not quite sure why I don't like to listen to Fr. Peter-Michael Preble though, I think it was because he seemed a bit too Western too me, but I don't remember. And well, don't get me started an Archbishop Lazar Puhalo... ugh...

They way I listen to most podcasts, anything coming in under 20 minutes ends up being frustrating. I could see how the The Path would be awesome if my morning allowed me extra time to set aside to listen to an episode and contemplate it a bit.

I'll give it another go. Maybe skip chatting up some folks.

Strikes me a morning listening for some reason.

Thanks for pointing it out again.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 10:51:39 PM »

They way I listen to most podcasts, anything coming in under 20 minutes ends up being frustrating. I could see how the The Path would be awesome if my morning allowed me extra time to set aside to listen to an episode and contemplate it a bit.

I'll give it another go. Maybe skip chatting up some folks.

Strikes me a morning listening for some reason.

Thanks for pointing it out again.

No Problem, I stopped listening simply because I had listening to it for so long I started to hear things twice over again, and they usually rehash the readings and lives from previous years. However, the commentary is often fresh, even if the rest is just reused.
I need to listen to it again because its a good way to memorize lives of the saints.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 10:52:01 PM »

Fr. Hopko's "Names of Jesus" series was quite good.

Honestly, after name seven or so, it was rough for me. And you know every hates that I sup at his feet. But I still 20 or more I haven't listened to.

A lot of redundancy, especially if you already have listened to more than 700 hours of the guy, more than a few times.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 10:56:28 PM »

If you are referring to Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy, I guess . . .

Seems popular among some of the converts and inquirers.

Rather basic and dry to me.

What is his Roads from Emmaus like? Thematically and the like.
Oh sorry. I meant to talk more about RFE.

It's a collection of long sermons. As the blurb says, "this podcast is dedicated to exploring the intersection between place, communion, and revelation, just as Christ’s communion with His disciples at the Biblical Emmaus revealed Him to them in the breaking of the bread. Episodes include meditations, sermons, classes, and lectures examining these and related themes."

So, he's done so far a three-parter on Orthodoxy and ecology called "This Holy Earth." Then he talked about evangelism, then a series about the mystery of Christ and how this relates to Scripture and how Christians relate to the world. Then he went through the themes of Martyrdom, Gospel, Salvation, Episcopacy, and Eucharist in the writings of Saint Ignatius.

So I'd say his basic aim is forming a full orbed sacramentarian worldview. There's more episodes coming.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 11:02:07 PM »

I never knew what The Path was about. I should check it out.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:10:07 PM by Volnutt » Logged
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 11:26:04 PM »

Presvytera does over-enunciate, but it is oftentimes preferable to the nasal consonant-dropping that passes for speech in some parts of the States.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 11:31:03 PM »

Presvytera does over-enunciate, but it is oftentimes preferable to the nasal consonant-dropping that passes for speech in some parts of the States.
Wuter you tokin about? Er you sum hifalutin city boeye!?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 11:42:16 PM »

Hey now! I resemble that remark! That is because of your own absurd butchering of the American language.

//:=)

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 11:53:57 PM »

Hey now! I resemble that remark! That is because of your own absurd butchering of the American language.

You seem to know a fair bit about language ...

I dunno how "Aussie" I sound to you guys, but I understand that the way I speak is linguistically known as "Standard Australian". The great alternative to the Standard Australian pronunciation is the "Broad Australian" (think Steve Irwin, the crocodile dude). I've heard that linguists estimate Standard Australian will disappear entirely within a few generations.

So yes, we Australians probably should apologise for butchering the language, whether it belongs to you guys or Her Majesty.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 11:55:14 PM »

Could this mode of speech properly be described as Southern?

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2011, 12:00:10 AM »

You seem to know a fair bit about language ...

I dunno how "Aussie" I sound to you guys, but I understand that the way I speak is linguistically known as "Standard Australian". The great alternative to the Standard Australian pronunciation is the "Broad Australian" (think Steve Irwin, the crocodile dude). I've heard that linguists estimate Standard Australian will disappear entirely within a few generations.

So yes, we Australians probably should apologise for butchering the language, whether it belongs to you guys or Her Majesty.

I discussed your speech pattern with someone. You definitely have more RP than any Aussie I've met, but they have all been nutz and working class types.

I didn't want to give you a complete pass on not sounding Aussie, cause you do carrying an Aussie pronunciation.

You would pass as an English chap to most American ears I am sure, especially if you tried.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2011, 12:00:43 AM »

Could this mode of speech properly be described as Southern?
Edit: Well, the ending, yes lol. I was mostly trying to type drop consonants.

I should add, educated Southerners have very nice voices imo.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:04:54 AM by Volnutt » Logged
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2011, 12:22:06 AM »

I became Orthodox in part because of 'Our Life in Christ." It's not only 'good for Evangelicals," as someone so casually dismissed it, but it is also helpful explaining the basics to agnostics: it worked for me. I'm here.

I also like 'Steve the Builder' for its sincerity and homely truth. Steve Robinson's angle on things is intensely personal and sometimes evokes tears. He is a devout Christian who never attained his aspirations in the church, and he makes you love him. He's a natural observer and writer.

Gotta watch out for Jeannie's theology; that's all I've got to say.

Anything by Father Andrew Stephen Damick is excellent. He's very organized, very substantial, and very much to the point. He is worth every minute of your time. I've listened to his podcasts more than anyone else's except those of Kallistos Ware. AF used to have much more Ware a few years ago, and, frankly, I miss him. He has a singsong voice that takes getting used to, but he is very illuminating.

Father Thomas Hopko alway gets my click. He's very informative and comes solely from the Orthodox perspective. Occasionally, he gets a little too discursive, and takes a little too long to get to the point, but I'll forgive him. He's taught me a lot.

I also have enjoyed listening to Dr. Steven Khouri's series "Glory to Thee" on Byzantine Chant---I'm in the choir--and wish he would do more. There's precious little chant training material online, and his ministry meets a real need. He should do videos.

Last--but not least--I mention father Patrick Henry Reardon's podcasts. He has an extensive background in Roman Catholicism, monasticism, and Orthodoxy, and is an excellent source of scriptural interpretation.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:23:49 AM by sainthieu » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2011, 12:36:13 AM »

I became Orthodox in part because of 'Our Life in Christ." It's not only 'good for Evangelicals," as someone so casually dismissed it, but it is also helpful explaining the basics to agnostics: it worked for me. I'm here.

I also like 'Steve the Builder' for its sincerity and homely truth. Steve Robinson's angle on things is intensely personal and sometimes evokes tears. He is a devout Christian who never attained his aspirations in the church, and he makes you love him. He's a natural observer and writer.

Gotta watch out for Jeannie's theology; that's all I've got to say.

Anything by Father Andrew Stephen Damick is excellent. He's very organized, very substantial, and very much to the point. He is worth every minute of your time. I've listened to his podcasts more than anyone else's except those of Kallistos Ware. AF used to have much more Ware a few years ago, and, frankly, I miss him. He has a singsong voice that takes getting used to, but he is very illuminating.

Father Thomas Hopko alway gets my click. He's very informative and comes solely from the Orthodox perspective. Occasionally, he gets a little too discursive, and takes a little too long to get to the point, but I'll forgive him. He's taught me a lot.

I also have enjoyed listening to Dr. Steven Khouri's series "Glory to Thee" on Byzantine Chant---I'm in the choir--and wish he would do more. There's precious little chant training material online, and his ministry meets a real need. He should do videos.

Last--but not least--I mention father Patrick Henry Reardon's podcasts. He has an extensive background in Roman Catholicism, monasticism, and Orthodoxy, and is an excellent source of scriptural interpretation.

The Life in Christ derider would be me. But God works in mysterious ways.

I wish you would say more about Jeannie's theology. As the little I've heard her has been mainly in exegesis, where she was not lightweight.

Tried Steve the Builder. A bit too personalized for me. But maybe I need to give it another go.

Father Andrew Stephen Damick, not on my radar. Will check out.

Metropolitan Kallistos Ware's voice wears on me as well.

You see a theme here. I grew up on good radio.

If you ain't got the typical radio voice, better have some passion. Otherwise I fall asleep, not really I just irritated.

But I'll try to track some of his stuff down as well.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:36:39 AM by orthonorm » Logged

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2011, 02:36:48 AM »

This was a very good talk:

http://ancientfaith.com/specials/eastern_orthodoxy_and_mysticism

Hieromonk Irenei has a very relaxing voice.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2011, 04:35:34 AM »

Not a podcast per se, but a handy little prayer aid for those so inclined. The Hours by the nuns of Holy Myrrhbearers Monastery.

http://ancientfaith.com/specials/thehours
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 12:28:31 PM »

Can you amplify on "In the Valley of the Shadow of Death"? Never even heard of it.

Fr. David Alexander, an Antiochian priest and chaplain with the United States Marine Corps, gives us a window into life with his Marines as they battle in Afghanistan and his struggle to be a shepherd in their midst.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 06:23:23 PM »

And I'm good-lookin', too.

(Okay, not really.)

Author, "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy" & "An Introduction to God" (both from Ancient Faith Publishing / Conciliar Press)
asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2011, 06:30:10 PM »

Oh sorry. I meant to talk more about RFE.

It's a collection of long sermons.

Talks, really.  Sermons that long would send the people into the snooze.  (If my 10-minute ones on Sunday morning don't already.)

Author, "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy" & "An Introduction to God" (both from Ancient Faith Publishing / Conciliar Press)
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »

lol
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2011, 12:49:06 AM »

And I'm good-lookin', too.

Hey, Roads from Emmaus hasn't been updated as much lately. What's with the slacking?
asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2011, 07:35:33 AM »

Hey, Roads from Emmaus hasn't been updated as much lately. What's with the slacking?

What, are you paying for this or something?  Smiley  (And how many copies of my book have you bought, hmm?)

RFE is recordings of talks that I give, whether at various parishes or elsewhere or as classes at my own parish (mostly the latter).  As such, it follows both when I actually do such talks and also when I feel that the talks are in the right level of polish to be worth recording.  There will always be gaps, because such things tend to be seasonal.  I also happen to have a number of talks I've done this year which are kind of on the "edge" for me and so I want to work on them some more.

I'm actually teaching an Introduction to Orthodoxy series right now at my parish, but because it's mostly extemporaneous and because there is a lot of that kind of thing out there already, I'm not recording it.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: