OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 10:21:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling for Prayers for Archbishop Dimitri of Dallas  (Read 677 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: August 24, 2011, 08:19:44 AM »

My foster son called me late last night to let me know he had just come from the Cathedral in Dallas where they had a special healing service and Holy Unction for Archbishop Dimitri.  He said the Cathedral was packed with people.  They brought the Archbishop in sitting on a wheel chair.  He seemed to perk up a little after receiving the Unction but the prognosis is bad.

PLEASE PRAY FOR THIS GODLY AND SAINTLY MAN LOVED BY SO MANY, INCLUDING MYSELF!

ORTHODOC

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:41:16 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:59:02 AM »

Lord have mercy.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:14:16 AM »

Lord have mercy!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:45:55 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »

Kyrie, eleison!

Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »

Latest email from my foster son on Archbishop Dimitri.

=======================================================================================

George, Taras, Fr. Ambrose, and a couple of other folks from Tulsa came down for the Unction Service last night.  It was very moving to see hundreds of people.  I could not find parking for 15 minutes.  They wheeled Abp. Dmitri 30 minutes into the service.  He was aware of his surroundings and would occasionally say something to the priests or the sub-deacons around him.  He was also doing some of the blessings.  It is a long service, so after they anointed him (he was in for about an hour), they wheeled him out.  The last photo I sent you was taken as they were wheeling him out through the side entrance of the Cathedral.   There is always someone with him 24/7.  One of the parishners is a medical doctor and, there is also a nurse caregiver. Too bad I don’t have any of St. Pantheleimon’s oil for him to be anointed.  Please ask Fr. Victor to pray for him.  I know Abp. Dmitri is getting up in age, but I’d hate to see him go.  He has been a fixture there for almost 60 years.   The Diocese of the South is the most financially stable one in OCA, and during his tenure he founded close to 70 parishes.  I don’t think there is another bishop in OCA that has come even close to accomplishing the missionary work of Abp. Dmitri.  For a convert, he is deeply attached to the Slavic peoples and Slavic Orthodoxy.  He has set a conservative tradition minded tone in all his parishes.  I’ve never seen a hierarch so down to earth and so loved by his people.  The hundreds of people, a good percentage of whom drove out of state to come and show their support for him, attest to that.

I remember, the first time I met him, after he found out I was from Bulgaria, he said “ you know Church Slavonic is Old Bulgarian, that’s where it came from.”  Later, often when he’d see me in the Church hall, he’d turn to whoever was sitting next to him and repeat the same and then wink at me.

Five or six years ago, Martin (who was also from Bulgaria) and I commissioned an icon of St. John of Rila (based on a rare 14 century icon).  When Martin went to Bulgaria he picked it up from the iconographer and brought it back.  I asked Fr. John Anderson to bless and hang behind the Golgotha, but he gave me some excuse that there was no space etc.  I saw Abp. Dmitri in the Church hall later that week, and told him about the icon.  The following Sunday he made an announcement after the service that he was going to bless the icon and gave a small talk about St. John of Rila.  It really made me feel good to see our Bulgarian (one could consider national) saint having an icon in a prominent place.  After the blessing, as he was making his way out of the church, he pointed at the icon and gave me a wink.  This goes to show you what kind of man he is.  He hated confrontation but always found a way to get his point across.   The converts love him, but the Russian love him even more. They’ve always been with him, taking care of the house, cooking for him etc.  He is very familiar with Church Slavonic, and whenever he served, he’d always do a couple of the litanies in Slavonic.  On Pascha he always read the Gospel in both languages.

Atanas

=================================================================================

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 03:00:35 PM »

Hospodi Pomilui.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 05:54:54 PM »

Lord have mercy!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 06:14:58 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 08:07:56 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 09:45:30 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 09:57:14 PM »

Lord, have mercy.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 01:21:15 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: