OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 12:39:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone have the Nine Chapters?  (Read 1309 times) Average Rating: 0
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« on: January 30, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »

Out of curiosity, does anyone here have access to the monoenergist "Nine Chapters" AKA the "Pact of Union" formulated by Patriarch Cyrus?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 02:00:07 PM »

I split this off from the "One will" thread, to make it more visible and to increase the possibility of it being seen and answered by someone who has access to that document.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25645.0.html#lastPost
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 02:01:57 PM by Salpy » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 02:03:28 PM »

Thanks, Salpy. I believe an English translation of them is available in the book Sophronius of Jerusalem and Seventh-Century Heresy, by Pauline Allen. It's one of those uber-scholarly books that runs for about $100 though!

Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 02:06:11 PM »

Much of it seems to be available on books.google.com. Search for the book salpy mentions and then look in contents.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 02:07:29 PM »

Thanks, Salpy. I believe an English translation of them is available in the book Sophronius of Jerusalem and Seventh-Century Heresy, by Pauline Allen. It's one of those uber-scholarly books that runs for about $100 though!

$100.00?  Goodness gracious.  How do they expect anyone to buy it?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »

Fr. Peter- I looked at the google books version and the page containing the last few theses is missing...  Sad I suspect that's where the juicy bits about energies would be.

Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 02:29:04 PM »

There appears to be only one page missing, but the preceding page gives the text in Greek.

I wonder if anyone could translate?

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 01:27:15 AM »

consistent with the translation:
http://books.google.com/books?id=_d0mx7Di1QkC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Sophronius+of+Jerusalem+and+Seventh-Century+Heresy&cd=1#v=snippet&q=together&f=false

[....and that one and the same Christ and Son performed things befitting God and things human] by one theandric activity, according to Dionysios [now] among the saints, distinguishing in contemplation alone the elements from which the union came about, and mentally considering these as remaining without change and without confusion after their natural and hypostatic union, and recognizing in these the one and the same Christ and Son without confusion and without separation, as he mentally considers the two to be brought together mutually without confusion, holding the contemplation of them as a matter of reality and not of lying illusion, but he does not seperate them in any way, since the rending into two has already been undone because of the union which is ineffable and unconfused and inconceivable, saying according to holy Athanasius: "At the one time is flesh, at the one time is the flesh of God the Word; at the one time there is flesh ensouled and rational, at the one time there is the flesh of God the Word endowed with a rational soul;' but takes such an expression as dividing into parts, let him be anathema.

Article of Faith VIII
If someone does not anathematize Arius, Eunomius, Macedoinius, Apollinaris the hereitc, Nestorius, Eutyches of ill-repute, and Cyrus and John and Aegeotas and all who in whatever way, contradict the Twelve Chapters of the most holy Cyrill, and do not repent, but die in such error, and those who thought or think like them, let him be anathema.

Article of Faith IX
If someone does not anathematize the writings of Theodoret which are contrary to the right Faith of Cyril [now] among the saints, and the so-called Letter of Ibas, and Theodore of Mopsuestia and his writings, and if someone does not accept the writings of holy Cyril, and especially those against Thedore and Theodoret, and Andrew, and Nestorius and those who have thought or think like them or one of them, let him be anathema.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:56:21 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 06:25:24 PM »

consistent with the translation:
http://books.google.com/books?id=_d0mx7Di1QkC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Sophronius+of+Jerusalem+and+Seventh-Century+Heresy&cd=1#v=snippet&q=together&f=false

[....and that one and the same Christ and Son performed things befitting God and things human] by one theandric activity, according to Dionysios [now] among the saints, distinguishing in contemplation alone the elements from which the union came about, and mentally considering these as remaining without change and without confusion after their natural and hypostatic union, and recognizing in these the one and the same Christ and Son without confusion and without separation, as he mentally considers the two to be brought together mutually without confusion, holding the contemplation of them as a matter of reality and not of lying illusion, but he does not seperate them in any way, since the rending into two has already been undone because of the union which is ineffable and unconfused and inconceivable, saying according to holy Athanasius: "At the one time is flesh, at the one time is the flesh of God the Word; at the one time there is flesh ensouled and rational, at the one time there is the flesh of God the Word endowed with a rational soul;' but takes such an expression as dividing into parts, let him be anathema.

Article of Faith VIII
If someone does not anathematize Arius, Eunomius, Macedoinius, Apollinaris the hereitc, Nestorius, Eutyches of ill-repute, and Cyrus and John and Aegeotas and all who in whatever way, contradict the Twelve Chapters of the most holy Cyrill, and do not repent, but die in such error, and those who thought or think like them, let him be anathema.

Article of Faith IX
If someone does not anathematize the writings of Theodoret which are contrary to the right Faith of Cyril [now] among the saints, and the so-called Letter of Ibas, and Theodore of Mopsuestia and his writings, and if someone does not accept the writings of holy Cyril, and especially those against Thedore and Theodoret, and Andrew, and Nestorius and those who have thought or think like them or one of them, let him be anathema.
What's so un-Orthodox about this statement? It affirms the integrity of both a Divine and Human energy in Christ where the two energies are distinguished only in careful contemplation. Why was this passage condemned, or am I mistaken?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:28:02 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 01:56:53 PM »

^Well? Huh

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »

^Well? Huh

Severian,

You may want to read through this to get a better picture of the controversy.

http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.com/pdf/13/9780198299912.pdf

Its part of the intro from Pauline Allan's book, Maximus the Confessor and his Companions
Documents from Exile.

http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780198299912.do

This stuff is way over my head, but I think it'll be helpful to you.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 09:52:41 AM »

^Thank you very much.

Tags: one will Nine Chapters 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: