Author Topic: Can you live without the internet at home?  (Read 5547 times)

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
Can you live without the internet at home?
« on: August 09, 2011, 07:31:07 AM »
I'll be trying soon, er today.

Long story short. I've got a contract a long time ago with my mobile and internet provider. Within the contract it stated that they could not change the terms of the contract, unless I were to default.

With my company subsidizing my phone (no health ins. but they give me a leash for free), my phone and internet service was practically free.

Well about three months ago, the "computer" "scrubbed" my contract and they have been charging my 2.5 times the amount for my service. IOW, I believe they cancelled my service due to the fact I squeezed just about every bit of bandwidth possible for a few years now via Usenet and audio and video streaming at home and on my BB.

After more 20 hours on hold and the like with customer service. I am giving up.

Will be working 10-14 hours a day for the foreseeable future, so really having the internet home means not making use of my time at home most efficiently. And my immune system evidently is still acting whacky.

And when not working as often, really the internet is often a time sink.

I am going to trying to get around the hurdles put in place and try to tether my BB to my computer at home. If anyone has any good infos on doing this recently with OS X, PM me.

In any case, just as comedy hour was beginning it will now end.

Unfortunately, probably won't on here as often to draw people into moderation. //:=) But will forced to make fewer but more thoughtful posts, which sounds like absolutely no fun.

After a month or so of my experience from internet at home "fasting", I will decide whether to go through the local cable provider instead.

In theory, my prayer life is going to shoot through the roof as will my "spiritual" reading . . . Sleep will become more regular. In reality, I'll just stare at the ceiling more hiding from all my female fans.

Anyway a long message, I'll miss you all distracting me.

And this comes at relatively fortunate time as I have a few more writing projects in the fire. But OC.net always helped for a break from writing my optioned memoirs.

This will fall in line with my goal to eventually own fewer than 100 items.

A thread on that later.

Till, I am sitting in front of instrument staring into space . . .

Seriously though, it is fortuitous as I ready to be received into the Church, I was going to have cut back on my time here, and as they say in some rooms, this is God doing for me what I couldn't do for myself.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Re: Can you live without the internet at home?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 08:35:22 AM »
Ascesis: by any means necessary.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:37:19 AM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:57:31 AM »
Evidently not.  Though I have done it.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:05:11 AM »

My Internet connection at home is so sllllloooooooowwwww, that I cannot download files, I can't watch anything on YouTube, etc.  I can't even listen to AncientFaithRadio.

However, it sill enables me to get to my email and post on this wonderful forum!  :)

Could I live without it?

Yes.  It's not life sustaining, however, if would be difficult.

I don't want to upgrade to cable.  I don't have cable, never have.  Not only is it more expensive, but, that will give me more temptations to draw me away from being productive - like more TV shows!!!  :)

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Gypsy

• St. Theodosia, Defender of the Holy Icons
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:14:36 AM »
As one of your female fans I will be bereft!  Who will start the funny threads...the ones that let me know that - yes- Eastern Orthodox posters do actually have a sense of humor!!

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:51:34 AM »

My Internet connection at home is so sllllloooooooowwwww, that I cannot download files, I can't watch anything on YouTube, etc.  I can't even listen to AncientFaithRadio.

However, it sill enables me to get to my email and post on this wonderful forum!  :)

Could I live without it?

Yes.  It's not life sustaining, however, if would be difficult.

I don't want to upgrade to cable.  I don't have cable, never have.  Not only is it more expensive, but, that will give me more temptations to draw me away from being productive - like more TV shows!!!  :)

Yeah, I wouldn't be getting "cable TV", it would just be their internet package. Actually I have cable TV now as they basically give away their "basic" package in my neighborhood. I just never hook it up.

Cable TV = Huge waste of time. I would just get angry at the news all the time.

I wait for the quality long run decent TV shows to go to DVD.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 09:53:49 AM »
As one of your female fans I will be bereft!  Who will start the funny threads...the ones that let me know that - yes- Eastern Orthodox posters do actually have a sense of humor!!

I will abandon you not! O, the all the PMs and offers to pay whatever price necessary to keep me online 24 / 7, really, you all are too kind.

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »
I would probably live better if I didn't have the internetz.

Offline tuesdayschild

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 10:16:05 AM »
my company...they give me a leash for free

Truer words...

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
  • Back by unpopular demand.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »
I was going to seriously answer this thread (and maybe I will), but...I don't care how embarrassing this is, but I actually had a dream that I was reading the message board and you posted this long thread about leaving, and all I could think was "You'll get attention any way you can, huh?"

I'm obviously psychic.

I understand your motivations, as I've been trying to cut down myself....since I was 11. I was going to write a whole history here, but I've been creating webpages, teaching my parents how to use the Internet, helping friends, customizing AOL profiles, playing Slingo in chatrooms, AIM, ICQ, meeting really good friends on message boards, doing research, starting my political blog at 16, anything and everything. When I was 14, I burst into tears when my doctor told me that I had tendinitis and I couldn't use the computer for several months.

Of course, I've had a few periods here and there where I haven't had access at home, usually lasting for a few weeks to a month or so at a time. I get very fidgety and although I made a lot of trips to the library, I became more productive.

Heck, even when my family goes on vacation, we scope out the Internet cafes. Like mother, like daughter. She purchased a Nook in Ireland and went around, using other people's WiFi, because she was desperate. I woke up early one morning and went to an Internet cafe when we traveled to Prague for 3 days. Sick, I tell ya.

I wish I could cut down, but your 10 to 14 hours a day? Yeah, I spend that on the Internet at work. And sadly enough, even though I'm exhausted afterwards, if husband isn't home or he's watching his 5,000,000th Nazi/nature/weapons documentary, I'll stay on the internet and read my daily blogs and do some writing or reading (and post on OC.net, of course).

I should probably cut down on the latter. I'll probably work on that, actually. I spend a lot of in between time clicking around here, but I'll try to minimize that and read more about Orthodoxy instead (pretty much my only other option for in between time).

If we're talking about TV, I could definitely live without that. I have my favorite shows on DVD and I have the Internet to read news. Absolutely fine without TV. That, I've lived without for years at a time. My friends think I'm crazy.

PS Oh, we will miss you, too.....for the other 10 hours of the day! I'm sure that you at work, plus wi-fi on your devices, you'll be okay. But what is going to happen if you can't regale us with your amazing voice in chat? I mean, really?  ???
She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 11:55:03 AM »
I have done it. You can do it, too. The DTs are hell, but once you break that habit it's easier to do it in moderation once you get access again.

And you probably will read more.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 11:57:56 AM »
You'd think, that for us book nerds on the boards, this logic would actually help us get off the Internet...... :police:
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--

Offline tuesdayschild

• OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 12:00:31 PM »
You'd think, that for us book nerds on the boards, this logic would actually help us get off the Internet...... :police:

Too many free classics on the internet.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 12:03:43 PM »
Good luck* :)  I've gone time without the internet, usually not of my own choosing, with varying degrees of success. My time posting will probably be dropping off significantly in a couple weeks, once fall semester starts (I have 6 course next semester, yuck)... but I always end up back online, as most people do...  whatever works for you though... posting as much as you currently do, posting less, posting not at all...

*Not that I believe in luck, but you know what I mean

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »
LOL at Usenet, me too bro.

I surf on the internet all the time at work, because I'm hardly busy and it kills alot of time. Outside of work I'm seriously much to busy dealing the cards life hands out.

Although i splurge and get 100mbps Internet and pay too much for it. Lotsa downloading and playing online games whenever I can find the time. Thank God dial up is obsolete these days, I couldn't imagine going back to it and here I am posting from my iPhone.

Good luck to you orthonorm, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 12:13:19 PM »
Good luck* :)  I've gone time without the internet, usually not of my own choosing, with varying degrees of success. My time posting will probably be dropping off significantly in a couple weeks, once fall semester starts (I have 6 course next semester, yuck)... but I always end up back online, as most people do...  whatever works for you though... posting as much as you currently do, posting less, posting not at all...

6 courses? Yikes. I can help you with homework lol
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 12:17:39 PM »
This made me chortle, because I say this IRL all of the time, and no one really cares. Must be a habit from my fundie days, when I would say that in church and everyone would say, "Not luck!!! GOD!"
--
--

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 12:24:50 PM »
I was going to seriously answer this thread (and maybe I will), but...I don't care how embarrassing this is, but I actually had a dream that I was reading the message board and you posted this long thread about leaving, and all I could think was "You'll get attention any way you can, huh?"

I'm obviously psychic.

Whatever explanation helps you sleep through the night . . .

It's OK.

True story:

Before all the bucketlist BS, I collected a buncha stuff I wanted to have happen before I die. Note, not stuff I would do, but would happen.

Examples: Arrested for "running amok" (actually can be tried for that crime). Being tried for Crimes against Humanity (whether I am found guilty or not doesn't matter), or any other crime committed against an abstraction. Being disowned. Being interviewed on TV while someone switches ball caps on my head during the cuts to give equal time to all my sponsors. A girl to write my name on her shoes at least half my age and wear them proudly around school. A women to refer to me in earnest as "dreamy". To within in reason, find myself caught in the best scene from the The Last Boy Scout in real life. Etc.

None of the above could I nor someone else force to make happen. There are a lot more.

Of the above, three actually occurred.

Attention Getting!?!? You ain't seen nothing. If we ever become BFFs, I will show you one board where I caused a stirred by faking my death, then showing up at a meet-up later, and the other board . . . well evidently it was worse or the folks had a wwwaaayyy worse sense of humor.

This ain't your obligatory IM LEAVING BECAUSE YOU ALL HURT MY FEELINGS NOW PLEASE BEG ME TO STAY EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

Just rankled about my phone / internet provider.

And contemplating the joys and preparing you all for the sorrows.

I was kvetching at lunch and my employer might cover it. We'll see. Maybe if I tell them I think I have cancer, they'll insure me.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 12:27:04 PM »
Reading impaired much?

I ain't leaving I am just saying I might not be able participate as much in threads not about masturbation, the filioque, and Alfie.

I'll still have access kids. Calm down.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 12:28:19 PM »
Although i splurge and get 100mbps Internet and pay too much for it.

My buddy in on the main fiber optic line they are finally putting down through the city.

100mbps? Find a 12 step meeting.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 12:31:02 PM »
I have done it. You can do it, too. The DTs are hell, but once you break that habit it's easier to do it in moderation once you get access again.

Once I start my fewer than 100 items thread, I'll explain how I was happiest when I didn't have:

A phone.
A TV.
A Computer.

And no that wasn't when I was in diapers enjoying the glow of innocence and warmth of motherly love.

I would have been better off being raised by a marmots.

Or just put into a giant sling shot and aimed at the sun and let the tiny norm fall where he may.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »
But what is going to happen if you can't regale us with your amazing voice in chat? I mean, really?  ???

I need to speak to my spiritual father about all the harm I am causing.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »
I am cracking my **** up right now!

I hope you know that I was being tongue-in-cheek, although the dream was forrealz. I've had dreams of Internet friends and such, but I'm always too embarrassed to admit it. I remember reading a bunch of other posts, which was depressing. It's like dreaming about being at a business meeting, washing dishes, or something so mundane.

I am not sure how we can become BFFs,  so we need to find a way to do that. Since we have such a close psychic connection, you can tell me what you want to post telepathically, and I'll post it here so that your spirit will reign on. But keep it under 200 words and keep the words at seven letters or less, plzthx.

If you decide to get Internet (or get people to pay for it out of sympathy for you), I occasionally use Virgin Mobile's pay as you go plan. You can pay $10 for a certain amount of data, and stretch that out for a week, a month, or whatever. Win/win.

Not that I should be encouraging anyone to use the Internet more. It's an illness, I tell you.
--
--

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »

My buddy in on the main fiber optic line they are finally putting down through the city.

I've been wanting fiber optics not on my location yet.

Oh and lol @ 12 step. I hardly use my Internet at home maybe 2 hrs a day. When I didn't work I had a serious addiction, but was cured by my wonderful ex-fiancee.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 01:06:29 PM »
I am cracking my **** up right now!

I hope you know that I was being tongue-in-cheek, although the dream was forrealz. I've had dreams of Internet friends and such, but I'm always too embarrassed to admit it. I remember reading a bunch of other posts, which was depressing. It's like dreaming about being at a business meeting, washing dishes, or something so mundane.

I am not sure how we can become BFFs,  so we need to find a way to do that. Since we have such a close psychic connection, you can tell me what you want to post telepathically, and I'll post it here so that your spirit will reign on. But keep it under 200 words and keep the words at seven letters or less, plzthx.

If you decide to get Internet (or get people to pay for it out of sympathy for you), I occasionally use Virgin Mobile's pay as you go plan. You can pay $10 for a certain amount of data, and stretch that out for a week, a month, or whatever. Win/win.

Not that I should be encouraging anyone to use the Internet more. It's an illness, I tell you.

No handouts for me. My employer is worried that their disposable contractor won't be able to make the rare global video conference appearance proving the brave new world of making soap out of the human soul.

Emollient Sheen is PEOPLE!!!!!!!

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »
Wow, a reference I actually get.

I think you need to lie down and take 2 aspirin.   :P
--
--

Offline GiC

• Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 01:34:57 PM »

I've been wanting fiber optics not on my location yet.

Mine either, I live less than a mile from the hub that handles 80% of all Asia-North America internet traffic but can't get a fiber optic connection, it's an atrocity. ;) I'm stuck with cable, the 100mbps down is alright for the time being but the 5mbps up is a joke. But at least it's enough to get all my television and entertainment through the internet and not have to get cable TV.

As for living without an internet connection, I guess you could survive on Verizon's 4G network, but it would be just that: survival...a rather bleak existence. ;D

Connectivity is the future, either embrace it or end up like one of those old people complaining about these kids and all their newfangled gadgets like car phones and pda's.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »
Wow, a reference I actually get.

I think you need to lie down and take 2 aspirin.   :P

Reference?

How dare you!

Brilliance.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »
I've had dreams about the Internet before. But to be fair, at the time I worked for a company that had a popular web product and it was related to that.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline TheodoraElizabeth3

• Elder
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 11:44:04 PM »
It would be difficult to have no internet I could use my laptop on at home (I have an Android smart phone), I'd survive. Surfing on my lunch at work, free wifi at the public library, plus at McD's, coffee shops, etc.

Then there's the unlocked home wireless network of one of the folks in my building. ;) I only stumbled upon that by accident when I was having issues with my own internet connection and my laptop picked up the neighbor's unlocked network by accident.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 11:57:29 PM »
It would be difficult to have no internet I could use my laptop on at home (I have an Android smart phone), I'd survive. Surfing on my lunch at work, free wifi at the public library, plus at McD's, coffee shops, etc.

Then there's the unlocked home wireless network of one of the folks in my building. ;) I only stumbled upon that by accident when I was having issues with my own internet connection and my laptop picked up the neighbor's unlocked network by accident.

Back in the day the I just cracked neighbors' networks and even throttled their usage, as make sure I was getting the lion share of the bandwidth.

If this tethering works out, because really, I would like some access to the internet at home outside of my BB, but i really would like to dial back the netflix BS and the like and take a stand against the ridiculous practices of the internet providers in my area.

So if I access to here, email, various other primarily text based resources to work on my magnum opus at home more easily, I'll be golden.

I'll drag the laptop somewhere or to download the absurd number of podcasts I listen to.

I just love the "unlimited" data plans where you get throttled for using too much.

We'll see. Had one bump with the tethering. My computer started flooding my service provider with packets with none in return. This went on for ten minutes while I was occupied elsewhere.

Ended up being around 400mbs or so according to my logs.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2011, 11:58:37 PM »
Another nice thing about using a slower internet connection is that you can't tell the difference here. This server is getting slower and slower by the week. I foresee problems ahead.

Offline TheodoraElizabeth3

• Elder
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 12:16:28 AM »

Back in the day the I just cracked neighbors' networks and even throttled their usage, as make sure I was getting the lion share of the bandwidth.

If this tethering works out, because really, I would like some access to the internet at home outside of my BB, but i really would like to dial back the netflix BS and the like and take a stand against the ridiculous practices of the internet providers in my area.

So if I access to here, email, various other primarily text based resources to work on my magnum opus at home more easily, I'll be golden.

I'll drag the laptop somewhere or to download the absurd number of podcasts I listen to.

I just love the "unlimited" data plans where you get throttled for using too much.

We'll see. Had one bump with the tethering. My computer started flooding my service provider with packets with none in return. This went on for ten minutes while I was occupied elsewhere.

Ended up being around 400mbs or so according to my logs.

I tried using a CB recently, but with my carpal tunnel, it really hurt to type on it. On my Android, I have the Swype thingy, where you trace a pattern over the letters of a word, so you can enter text without thumb typing. Doesn't hurt. My Verizon contract (Android phone) is up in a year and I'm not looking forward to going to a capped data plan. I stream lots of audio.

I've never gotten throttled by AT&T for my DSL at home. I was thinking about getting rid of my landline and just having DSL from AT&T at home. Turns out my kinda slow connection would get bumped down even more as they're still upgrading the lines around here. The heck with that then! If I wanted internet through the cable company (Comcast), the special would be $30 for 6 months for the same speed as I have now and then who knows how much it would go up to? I also hear horror stories from friends about their Comcast internet going out at the drop of a hat. That doesn't happen with my DSL.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
I've never gotten throttled by AT&T for my DSL at home. I was thinking about getting rid of my landline and just having DSL from AT&T at home. Turns out my kinda slow connection would get bumped down even more as they're still upgrading the lines around here. The heck with that then! If I wanted internet through the cable company (Comcast), the special would be $30 for 6 months for the same speed as I have now and then who knows how much it would go up to? I also hear horror stories from friends about their Comcast internet going out at the drop of a hat. That doesn't happen with my DSL.

Typically, internet over your phone line is going to be more reliable than over cable, but at the possible price of speed.

(no riddle)

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 07:40:59 PM »
Over the weekend when I was sleeping most of the time, I did play around with options "outside the box" for internet use at home.

Tether, a piece of software (gotta pay) for the BB worked brilliantly.

I get a strong 3g signal and tethering my BB to my computer made browsing a breeze. Obviously more ergonomic than on the BB, but also more quickly due to many reasons involving processing speed, cache, etc.

Definitely, a solution for $50, if you want to axe your internet connection. You won't be trivially watching youtube videos (and due to possible data limits on your phone plan might not want to).

Tether tracks your data sent and received and once I had a bit of a glitch where my computer began sending as many packets possible over my phone. But it was an easy catch. And easily resolved.

(no riddle)

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
An idea, I haven't played with. Is tethering my 3g kindle to my computer. The 3g signal for the kindle is not as strong as the one I get through my phone carrier, but this is something I might play around with next weekend.

After all, it is "free".

(no riddle)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:42:45 PM by orthonorm »

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 07:53:01 PM »
The other option of eliminating garbage from your life is going without a cellphone and keeping an internet connection at home.

With google voice, if you don't use your phone for talking much (I don't). Google voice does a remarkable job as a answering machine and you have access to the audio messages left or transcribed (very very well) at any device you are in front of that you can log into google voice or gmail with.

As for placing calls, well that whole 'nother thing. Unless you are very clever and want to think a lot, you can always route any call to your google voice number to any number of devices, but calling your friends and them seeing your google voice number is another thing altogether.

But I've monitored my cell usage for some time. I rarely make calls and almost all the ones I receive, I send to my VM which then sends me an email of the transcription (worse service than google voice).

So practically what does all this meandering gibberish mean?

If you ain't for purposes of economic gain tied to a single phone number and need to be available voicewise at any instant throughout your day, you can ditch the phone and get by pretty well if you are constantly in front of some device that has internet access like me.

If you want to have a long talk with someone, you can easily dial or receive that call at home on your computer.

For me, I would just get a throw away pre-paid for the rare emergency call to a friend and keep the old phone for 911 calls.

(no riddle)

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »
Next level:

No phone. No home internet.

Feasible?!?! Maybe increase your sanity and decrease distractions.

Maybe end your social life.

I am in front of an internet device all day at work. Obviously. Hence these 30 second to 1 minutes tirades and maybe the one or two riddles I've engaged in.

So that is 8-10 hours a day five days a week I have to get my info on. And there are millions of phones to make arrangements and plans at work.

I lived life like this before, while working with the internet before most people here heard of it. But before cellphones were really around. I had a fancy alphanumeric pager for my job.

Life was good. In fact, I always point to that period of my life as my most "happy". Hate that word. 

That is another thread I've been asked to start. Maybe later.

(no riddle)

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 08:29:38 PM »
Shouldn't no home internet START your social life? I wouldn't know.  ???
--
--

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 08:31:27 PM »
Shouldn't no home internet START your social life? I wouldn't know.  ???

The whole no phone nor internet combo.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 08:32:27 PM »
Are we talking cell phone, land line, or both?
--
--

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 08:34:18 PM »
Are we talking cell phone, land line, or both?

Nada.

Land lines in my area are more expensive than cell usage, once you roll unlimited long distance into it, which you have to because everyone keep area codes from whatever State they first got their phone.

(no riddle)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:34:37 PM by orthonorm »

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 08:34:59 PM »
Well, there is always furniture-rearranging and karaoke night with your neighbors.

PS No more radio show?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:36:22 PM by IsmiLiora »
--
--

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 08:52:56 PM »
Well, there is always furniture-rearranging and karaoke night with your neighbors.

PS No more radio show?

I am just speculating.

We all like the Desert Fathers. But how far are we from them (not Serious here, completely)? I schucked the phone the last few days. And for the first day. I would actually hear it ring or vibrate. It wasn't on my person.

Like when I used to work drive thru and would hear the ding when not at work to address customers. And would actually go to move to hit the "talk" button on my belt.

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »
I "hear" my phone ringing all the time. I used to think that was crazy until I noticed other people doing it as well.

And withdrawing is not such a bad thing. You are on most of the first half of the day anyway.

Myself, I'm half tempted to keep my piece of crud Internet and basic TV channels so that I can have more time to do other stuff, such as read and meander downtown with friends. But I work all day and I kind of need high speed internet for that. Real life gets in the way of wanting to be a Desert Father.
--
--