OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 04:40:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where can i buy St Christopher icons on the net?  (Read 590 times) Average Rating: 0
Byron
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Nationalist

« on: August 23, 2011, 11:38:11 PM »

I am searching for a reliable online seller that has reasonably priced, wooden, small-sized St Christopher icons. Reasonable shipping would also be a plus.
I require about 80-90 as christening gifts.
Would prefer if the website is Orthodox based or at least Christian based.

Many thanks.

I. Metaxas - 4th of August Regime

"Country, Loyalty, Family and Religion".

Nationalism, Monarchy, Family and Orthodoxy.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 12:49:02 AM »

The proper icon of St Christopher is of the saint as a warrior, not the man fording a river with the Christ-child on his shoulder. The latter is an image from western origin, and has nothing to do with the life of St Christopher of Lycia, who was martyred in the third century. Unfortunately, iconographers have mistakenly appropriated western imagery and painted it in an "iconographic" style.

The other image to steer clear of is the one of St Christopher with a dog's head. I and others have spoken at length on this forum on why such an image is wrong from the Orthodox perspective.
Byron
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Nationalist

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 03:34:07 AM »

The proper icon of St Christopher is of the saint as a warrior, not the man fording a river with the Christ-child on his shoulder. The latter is an image from western origin, and has nothing to do with the life of St Christopher of Lycia, who was martyred in the third century. Unfortunately, iconographers have mistakenly appropriated western imagery and painted it in an "iconographic" style.

The other image to steer clear of is the one of St Christopher with a dog's head. I and others have spoken at length on this forum on why such an image is wrong from the Orthodox perspective.

Can you provide a link to an icon of St Christopher of Lycia (the non river fording or dogheaded one)? Can't find one.

I. Metaxas - 4th of August Regime

"Country, Loyalty, Family and Religion".

Nationalism, Monarchy, Family and Orthodoxy.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 03:50:34 AM »

Saint Christopher  -  One Saint, Two Lives

The story of this saint's life is astoundingly different, depending upon
whether one consults Orthodox or Roman Catholic sources...

See message 412
at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17565.msg319839.html#msg319839
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: