OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:58:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confused about differences  (Read 1360 times) Average Rating: 0
smalltowngl

OC.net

« on: July 20, 2004, 11:59:59 AM »

I tend to try to stay over on the Faith message board because I'm still only learning about Orthodoxy and I don't want to start any debates, but I'm confused and I think that under the guidelines of the boards, this is probably the best place for me to post this.

I will try to keep this as short as possible, but since I don't really have anybody that I know that I can really discuss this with, I have to sort things out in other ways.

I am going to convert.  My problem is that I don't know what I'm going to convert to.  My goal is to find the TRUE Church.  I am wholly and completely ready to drop all of my previous Protestant beliefs and follow the leadership of the Church that Jesus established.  I also believe that that church is either the RC or EO.  My problem is that I don't know how to know which is true.

My husband is RC, so he would say that it is true.  I have a problem with Papal supremacy and infallibility, so I have my doubts about the RC.  Do I trust myself though?  I am from a Protestant background.  I was brought up to trust only myself, but now I'm seeing that that isn't how it's supposed to be.  How do I know that I'm not erring again in denying the Pope's authority?  Does anyone know of any hard evidence from the Church Fathers or from anywhere before the final schism that could help me?

Part of me says that I could take the easy road and be RC and that way my husband and I could bring out children up in the same church and have unity in our home.  But, if I'm going to take the easy road, my Protestant background was about as easy as it got, and that would keep my entire side of the family happy.  But if I'm going to follow the Truth, I'm going to have to make some sort of change.

Also, are there any differences with the exception of the belief concerning the Pope between EO and RC that I should be aware of?  I've been told Original Sin and the filioque, but I don't see a lot of difference.  From the Catholic documents that I've read, they really don't believe in personal guilt to everyone from Original Sin.  The description was pretty much the exact same as the description that I got from the EO.  I know Augustine's theory, but from what I can tell the RC hasn't fully adopted that idea.  Their belief in the way the Holy Spirit is sent forth seems to be the same as well even though they have the filioque statement in their creed.  I know the issue of having different creeds is a big deal, but if they pronounce the same belief, then it's the same teaching at core of the problem.  Am I missing something?

I've been reading as much as I possibly can on the topic.  I've done everything I know to do.  I'm now at a stand still because I don't know where to turn.  My heart says Orthodoxy, but my mind keeps asking me how I can possibly trust myself to make a true decision.  

I'm hoping that I have not been offensive in any way to anyone.  I'm also hoping that this does not spark a huge debate.  I'm asking with sincerity and would like sincere answers from either or both RC's and EO's.

My next request is to please clarify whether or not you're RC or EO when you answer.  It sometimes very confusing and really difficult for me (who is from a VERY LIBERAL Protestant background) to determine between the two faith when I'm not aware before hand from which side it's coming.

Thanks in advance...

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 12:22:49 PM »

Prayer and study are the only answer.  Forums aren't going to be much help because each side is going to trumpet its beliefs.  Investigate the issues thouroughly, pray for the Holy Spirit's guidance and make your decision as your conscience dictates.

I am Byzantine Catholic. (sorry, I forgot to post that first time around)

Fr. Deacon Lance
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 01:38:30 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
spiros

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 12:34:09 PM »

I think Father Deacon Lance is a Byzantine Catholic, and I am Eastern Orthodox, but he is definately right that a forum like this is not going to be of much help. Sometimes study will not be either. If there were easy clear cut answers, these issues would not be engaing much better minds than any of us here. You can also get yourself into some devastating intellectual loops, from which  decision  is impossible.

Study? yes. but especially pray. Maybe not right now on your schedule, but if you keep searching with all your heart, God will clearly guide you to where He wants you to be.

God Bless you on your search,

Spiros

Official Resident of 5th Century Cyprus
iustinos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 12:41:02 PM »

May I also suggest that you really need to talk to your spiritual father or pastor.  It is good to recognize our limitations like you said.  That is why Our Lord has provided us spiritual fathers and pastors; they can aid us in the process of prayer and study so that we can make informed, free choices.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 01:37:21 PM »

I don't represent the sides here but maybe this page will help.

JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 11:06:09 PM »

// Re:Confused about differences
-½ Reply #4 on: Today at 01:37:21 PM -+  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't represent the sides here but maybe this page will help.//

Excellent page Serge.  Its a keeper.

JoeS
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 11:14:19 PM »

My goal is to find the TRUE Church.  I am wholly and completely ready to drop all of my previous Protestant beliefs and follow the leadership of the Church that Jesus established.  I also believe that that church is either the RC or EO.  My problem is that I don't know how to know which is true.

There is no such thing as a PHYSICAL True Church. ALL Churches have been corrupted by this world.

The only TRUE Church exists in the Holy Spirit, and therefore, within our hearts.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 05:16:15 PM »

//There is no such thing as a PHYSICAL True Church. ALL Churches have been corrupted by this world.

The only TRUE Church exists in the Holy Spirit, and therefore, within our hearts.//

This may seem to some as a cop out.

My brother-in-law felt the same way which is why he never went to church.  He thought that Christ was in his heart and didnt feel the need to pray or attend church.  There is a physical true church. Its called the Orthodox church.

JoeS  
jdudan54

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 05:31:49 PM »

Re: Confused about differences,
       Gregory Palamas views the church as synonomous with truth: "Those who belong to the Church of Christ dwell in truth; if people do not dwell in truth, neither do they belong to Christ's church." When reviewing doctrines and dogma, do they reflect truth or a dependence on man's creation of human systems...? (papacy, legalism, politic, etc)... pray and the holy spirit will 'call all things to remembrance.'................peace
                                                                                                           joe

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: