OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 11:33:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: church architecture (what is old is new again)  (Read 658 times) Average Rating: 0
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: August 21, 2011, 01:02:37 PM »

I didn't want this to be lost in this other thread that got locked.....

It's heartening  Smiley to see that Roman Catholics are trying to build more beautiful churches again:

Look at this beautiful Catholic church that was just built and dedicated. It looks Byzantine and has a beautiful setting for the Tabernacle.  This beautiful church replaced one of those ugly 1960's/1970's structures.  The times they are a-changing!

And, please read the text that has the beautiful songs that were sung. This definitely wasn't a guitar mass

http://www.stpaulcatholicchurch.org/files/pdf/Home/st-paul-catholic-church-dedication.pdf

The above-mentioned church is in Columbus, Ohio and is brand new.  Another new Columbus Roman Catholic church building is St Matthew's in the suburb of  Gahanna.  It is in a gothic style and also replaced a ugly 1960's/1970's building.   

But, of course, the Orthodox always have beautiful churches! (You are all so blessed with this!)  Here is another new church in Columbus, this one is the Dormition of the Mother of God Macedonian Orthodox Church:

http://www.macedonianchurch.org/index.php?option=com_morfeoshow&Itemid=12&lang=en

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »

Wow, very beautiful.  angel

The stripes on the second one make it very distinctive.  Smiley
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »

Southwest flying from Tampa to Columbus often goes right over the striped Macedonian church and it is quite impressive angel I wonder if it is patterned after a cathedral in Macedonia? So beautiful!

The mural above the St Paul RC church's altar reminds me of "O Son of God, Glorious in Your Saints!".   I hope more RC churches follow this.  They are also putting in stained glass that has been saved  from the ethnic churches of Cleveland that had to close
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 01:56:24 PM »

I can see my patron saint. This is much better than some Catholic churches I've seen, even though I've seen a couple of nice looking ones.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Ignatius II

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 07:38:46 PM »

A church structure can defintely add to one's spritual attitude.  The architecture that was so prevalent with structures that were built in the 60's and 70's sometimes feel like a warehouse inside.  The atmosphere in the old churches creates a different mindset with me,  where there is more an atmosphere of reverence.  I'm glad to see that many new churches that are being constructed are trying to recapture this.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »

Look at this beautiful Catholic church that was just built and dedicated. It looks Byzantine and has a beautiful setting for the Tabernacle.  This beautiful church replaced one of those ugly 1960's/1970's structures.  The times they are a-changing!

And, please read the text that has the beautiful songs that were sung. This definitely wasn't a guitar mass

Ah, but the signs, the signs.....

First, it's set up for versus populum celebration. That odd structure on the west wall is only a shrine for the tabernacle; it doesn't have any relationship to the altar. The real altar is set on a stage-like platform with no rails or anything else besides the height change to set it apart.

Second, the music: Marty Haugen can sound OK with a big pipe organ powering it-- which they did not have (the organ hasn't been purchased yet, but I give them points for trying, and it looks like it will be a nice instrument). All the hymnody, however, used Anglican or Lutheran music, except for the obligatory singing of Veni Creator Spiritus. And while I'm surprised that they made it all the way to verse 5 of "All Creatures of Our God and King", the fact is that it has seven verses. Of the various anthems, well, again Ralph makes an appearance. The Mozart and Biebl are very lovely (and in the case of Ave Verum, inevitable), but the two OCP anthems taken from the triduum liturgies are, well, in my opinion undistiguished.

Also, there's this curious line in the description of the organ: "This unusual placement of the Great Division permits these pipes to be voiced in a manner that will allow this instrument to lead hymnody and service music without overpowering the assembly." You know, I don't think most Lutheran and Episcopal parishes worry about this. At our parish the replacement of the organ after the expansion of the church was prompted by the observation that the congregation had no trouble drowning out the organ; our organist played the hymns with every stop pulled. The usual concern is whether the organ can adequately fill the space and have an adequate tonal compass; it is generally taken for granted that the congregation and the organ can hold their own against each other. This phrase bespeaks a timidity about congregational singing.

Attitudes about liturgy are shifting in the American RC church. But they still have a long way to go.
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:27:37 AM »

Interesting comments...  Smiley   

I hope you don't pick your wife apart in the same way...  Wink   In the lines of, "Well, honey, I know you lost 10 pounds, but dear, you still have 50 pounds to go, so let's not get too happy just yet.   That's a cute dress you are wearing, by the way, but maybe you aren't quite up to wearing it in public because you know how fine those Lutheran women are when they get together for a potluck.... I don't think you can quite compare.   Maybe in a bit you can strut your stuff, but not yet.   But keep trying, I'll let you know when...."   Cheesy

I"m also guessing you are either a lawyer or an engineer.  I'm an engineer myself so I know how engineers like to pick things apart.  It's sort of a compulsion.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »

A church structure can defintely add to one's spritual attitude.  The architecture that was so prevalent with structures that were built in the 60's and 70's sometimes feel like a warehouse inside.  The atmosphere in the old churches creates a different mindset with me,  where there is more an atmosphere of reverence.  I'm glad to see that many new churches that are being constructed are trying to recapture this.

We don't have the 'novus ordo' problem of course, but we have our fair share of what are now 'silly' looking churches built in the 1960's and 1970's.
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 12:50:33 PM »

Well, the 60's were a difficult time for everybody.  For some more than others, though.  But hopefully the pendulum is swinging back :-)

Scotty

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Portland

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »

Well, the 60's were a difficult time for everybody.  For some more than others, though.  But hopefully the pendulum is swinging back :-)

Truth.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: