OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 02:58:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beauty in Orthodox Worship  (Read 368 times) Average Rating: 0
Oleg Anishchenkov

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (The Moscow Patriarchate)

« on: August 21, 2011, 12:44:56 PM »

Our Orthodox worship is strong on beauty. We fill the walls and even the ceilings of our churches with icons, the stories and heroes of Christian history. We illuminate these images with candles and oil lamps, and the light shimmers from the glossy paint and gold backgrounds. Our clergy and altar servers wear vestments of different colours of brocade, highlighted with gold and embroidered.

People who visit an Orthodox service are immediately struck by the visual beauty, but that’s not the only sense affected. The whole service is sung and chanted, so the words of our prayers are framed with music. Incense rises from golden pots of incense. We taste the Eucharistic bread and wine, venerate icons, touch the hem of the priest’s vestment, and greet each other with a holy kiss. This is a very rich sensory experience, touching every one of the five senses.

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:49:08 PM »

Very true.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »

I have heard prayer described as 'raising the heart and mind to God'- and I've got to say, the beauty of Orthodox churches and worship certainly helps do that.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
IreneOlinyk

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox (EP)

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »

Oleh, have you read pseudo-Dionysius and his comments of the theology of beauty: how everything that is beautiful draws us to the Creator, the source of all true beauty.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 03:24:39 PM »

I certainly agree about beauty, however, it does tend to be in the mind of the beholder.

I'm not too huge on Byzantine-style iconography, although I treasure the theology they portray.

And iconstases I quite honestly find a bit tacky most times, although again, I do appreciate their theological importance.

And much incense I've smelled in Orthodox Churches often faintly reminds me of formaldehyde...

But yes, beauty in worship is utterly essential!
Tags: Russia  god  church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: