OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 06:00:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reformed and Evangelicals Understanding of Eastern Orthodoxy  (Read 5158 times) Average Rating: 0
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2011, 01:12:23 PM »

One can never have too many sermons--at liturgy, at matins, at vespers, at the sixth hour, at akathists. But no sermon is preferable to a bad one. Bad homilies became commonplace when seminaries stopped flogging seminarians.
LOL. I was just reading a study on the prosopography of the Russian episcopate during the Synodal period, where it was noticed the extremely long ages even by today's standards, let alone the 18-19th centuries. It noted the brutality of the theological academies, and, postulating survival of the fittest, theorized that if the young bishops to be survived it, they were pretty likely to survive what killed lesser men.

That, or grow up to be Stalin.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »

There is no theology in the Orthodox church?
Really they could say that with a straight face?

Not just in the Church, but in the liturgy. He complained about not having a sermon and having nothing but chant, but there is more of the foundational beliefs of Christianity and scripture references found in those prayers and hymns than probably in any protestant sermon.
One thing that struck me about the Evangelicals (I noticed it first at a service of the "Church of Christ"-instrumental) that, besides the sermon, how much their "worship" is devoid of scripture.  Not much more thelogy in there either.  So these complaints much be Protestant projection.

I have to agree with you on the worship.  Except for the sermon and some of the praise songs, there isn't all that much Scripture, and in many circles, the word "doctrine" is almost a dirty word.  A lot of churches don't really want to get into that--it can be way too divisive.  I noticed this long before I started attending an Orthodox church 11 years ago now (as of Transfiguration).  I think way too many want to believe what they want to believe, and they don't want anyone telling them that what they believe is wrong.  Also in this megachurch age, you can't afford to get anyone angry enough with you that they might leave.  It'll be interesting to see how many churches cancel Sunday services on December 25th this year, as many churches did this the last time Christmas fell on a Sunday.  What is ironic is that quite a few of these churches were the same ones that accused Walmart of taking Christ out of Christmas by switching to saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".  They were encouraging people to boycott Walmart, but then cancelled Sunday services on December 25th because, after all, it was Christmas and a day for people to be with their families.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2011, 01:27:10 PM »

I used to sit in the back of the Church and point at my watch when my father droned on more than 20 minutes.  He was taught in the Seminary that a sermon had to 20 minutes long in the Lutheran Church.  I noticed that most preachers took that to heart, whether or not they had 20 minutes of stuff to say.  However, my father was an ex-Baptist . . .

Two points that I learned in Speech classes and Toastmasters seem to me to be applicable to sermons:

1.  The three S's - Stand up, Speak up, Shut up.  Keep it short and to the point.

2.  There are no converts after the first ten minutes.  If you have not said what needs to be said in that time, you may as well give it up because most everyone is asleep.  There are some speakers that can effectively go on longer than that, but they are few and far between.

Put me down on the side that says the sermon is an essential part of the Liturgy and participates in its general sacramental character.  I do not think that it is optional, but it can be short.  I also think that it should explain those readings, which were just read. 

Short is good!  This is not something that I appreciated during the early years of my ministry.  I thought I was short-changing my congregation if I did not preach at least twenty minutes.  But now I believe that, within the context of the eucharistic liturgy, most homilies should be limited to ten to twelve minutes.  The liturgy is already long and most people cannot maintain their attention for much longer.  The rule is:  the better the preacher, the longer he can effectively preach.  Most of us mere mortals, however, best serve our congregations if we limit limit our homilies to ten to twelve minutes.

Short homilies are actually more difficult to construct than longer homilies.  Every homily needs one theme, and every word, every illustration, needs to illuminate that theme.  Rambling is not preaching.
I wonder if having someone run a stop watch and a traffic signal light (green light at 10 min., yellow light at 12 min., red light at 14 min.) would help the priest keep his homily short. Grin

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2011, 01:38:57 PM »

There is no theology in the Orthodox church?
Really they could say that with a straight face?

Not just in the Church, but in the liturgy. He complained about not having a sermon and having nothing but chant, but there is more of the foundational beliefs of Christianity and scripture references found in those prayers and hymns than probably in any protestant sermon.
One thing that struck me about the Evangelicals (I noticed it first at a service of the "Church of Christ"-instrumental) that, besides the sermon, how much their "worship" is devoid of scripture.  Not much more thelogy in there either.  So these complaints much be Protestant projection.

I have to agree with you on the worship.  Except for the sermon and some of the praise songs, there isn't all that much Scripture, and in many circles, the word "doctrine" is almost a dirty word.  A lot of churches don't really want to get into that--it can be way too divisive.  I noticed this long before I started attending an Orthodox church 11 years ago now (as of Transfiguration).  I think way too many want to believe what they want to believe, and they don't want anyone telling them that what they believe is wrong.  Also in this megachurch age, you can't afford to get anyone angry enough with you that they might leave.  It'll be interesting to see how many churches cancel Sunday services on December 25th this year, as many churches did this the last time Christmas fell on a Sunday.  What is ironic is that quite a few of these churches were the same ones that accused Walmart of taking Christ out of Christmas by switching to saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".  They were encouraging people to boycott Walmart, but then cancelled Sunday services on December 25th because, after all, it was Christmas and a day for people to be with their families.
LOL.  My sons' mother, when she was still going to church (she says now she doesn't want to "waste her day off"), went to willow creek (I found that out when they started talking about going to "the church where we don't pray" Grin).  They cancelled it when it feel on Sunday 6 years ago. My younger son, then 5, commented when he heard that "That's dumb." out of the mouths of babes.

I wonder if they will cancel Easter.  I hear it's on a Sunday this year. Tongue

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2011, 01:41:18 PM »

Because I get to sit down during the sermon, I don't really care how long it is.
 Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2011, 01:54:13 PM »

One can never have too many sermons--at liturgy, at matins, at vespers, at the sixth hour, at akathists. But no sermon is preferable to a bad one. Bad homilies became commonplace when seminaries stopped flogging seminarians.
LOL. I was just reading a study on the prosopography of the Russian episcopate during the Synodal period, where it was noticed the extremely long ages even by today's standards, let alone the 18-19th centuries. It noted the brutality of the theological academies, and, postulating survival of the fittest, theorized that if the young bishops to be survived it, they were pretty likely to survive what killed lesser men.

That, or grow up to be Stalin.

I remember reading a good book "Our Hope"
http://books.google.com/books?id=MTQmAQAAIAAJ&q=our+hope&dq=our+hope&hl=en

It was translated sermons of a Russian priest who had been tortured by the KGB and hounded.  Since there was no religious education allowed, the only time he got was sermons during services. He used to do things like have people write questions and drop them in a box, and he would go on them.  A lot of the sermons were extremely practicle, intimate and immediate: in one he told people who could not get Bibles to read old Russian novels like Dostoevsky.  The number of Bibles were extremely limited, but even in the heavily censured Soviet versions of Dostoevky the quoted scriptures and scriptural allusions could not be completely eliminated, and the Soviets heavily promoted the Russian classics.

I have to admit, it has heavily influenced my belief in the importance of sermons.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2011, 02:48:46 PM »

I think it's hilarious that one of them though there there was no "theology" in the liturgy that he attended in Russia. I can only attribute it to his lack of Russian language skills.

They're sincere men, but they have a lot to learn. Unfortunately, they think the appeal to EO is strictly aesthetic.

I heard someone comment on Mr. MacArthur's experience,saying that since the service was void of a sermon,He probably attended one of the weekly services,whether it be Vespers,or another service I'm not sure.  I thought the comment about the absense of a "tract table" was pretty hilarious.
That's because in the days of the Apostles, that was the sign of a True Church, when 90+% of the population was illiterate.

That said, they do serve a purpose, and there is not anything heretical about Orthodoxy using this medium, especially for those who won't go ask questions of strangers, but will take and read a tract in their own privacy.

We have lots of tracts (Conciliar Press has many wonderful ones).

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2011, 03:56:51 PM »

Put me down on the side that says the sermon is an essential part of the Liturgy and participates in its general sacramental character.  I do not think that it is optional, but it can be short.  I also think that it should explain those readings, which were just read. 

Short is good!  This is not something that I appreciated during the early years of my ministry.  I thought I was short-changing my congregation if I did not preach at least twenty minutes.  But now I believe that, within the context of the eucharistic liturgy, most homilies should be limited to ten to twelve minutes.  The liturgy is already long and most people cannot maintain their attention for much longer.  The rule is:  the better the preacher, the longer he can effectively preach.  Most of us mere mortals, however, best serve our congregations if we limit limit our homilies to ten to twelve minutes.

Short homilies are actually more difficult to construct than longer homilies.  Every homily needs one theme, and every word, every illustration, needs to illuminate that theme.  Rambling is not preaching.
Preach it, Father! Wink

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »

I did not watch the video so I can only take people's word for it regarding the idiotic things that were said. Does anyone else find it intriguing at best that there are no Orthodox speakers in this panel?

I am sad and embarrassed that I have seen such conduct from an Orthodox Christian panel as well.

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »

I did not watch the video so I can only take people's word for it regarding the idiotic things that were said. Does anyone else find it intriguing at best that there are no Orthodox speakers in this panel?

I am sad and embarrassed that I have seen such conduct from an Orthodox Christian panel as well.

I apologize,I'm not quite sure what your asking, maybe I'm a little slow to understand.
DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2011, 06:21:59 PM »

I think it's hilarious that one of them though there there was no "theology" in the liturgy that he attended in Russia. I can only attribute it to his lack of Russian language skills.

They're sincere men, but they have a lot to learn. Unfortunately, they think the appeal to EO is strictly aesthetic.

I heard someone comment on Mr. MacArthur's experience,saying that since the service was void of a sermon,He probably attended one of the weekly services,whether it be Vespers,or another service I'm not sure.  I thought the comment about the absense of a "tract table" was pretty hilarious.
That's because in the days of the Apostles, that was the sign of a True Church, when 90+% of the population was illiterate.

That said, they do serve a purpose, and there is not anything heretical about Orthodoxy using this medium, especially for those who won't go ask questions of strangers, but will take and read a tract in their own privacy.

We have lots of tracts (Conciliar Press has many wonderful ones).

I think tracts are a great tool,but maybe for one-on-one disscussions,when one has a hard time explaining their faith.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2011, 06:34:25 PM »

I apologize,I'm not quite sure what your asking, maybe I'm a little slow to understand.

I wasn't really asking anything, just commenting; and what my main comment was is that both panels conveniently neglected to let the target of their high-mindedness defend themselves

theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »

Coming from a background where these men are highly respected, thus being familiar with their style and works, this video simply doesn't surprise me. They're not being vindictive in saying that Orthodoxy has no theology, but instead being ignorant; because Orthodoxy doesn't look like what they're used to, then Orthodoxy can have no theology.

As for the sermon issue, only once have I attended a service where a homily wasn't presented. Ironically enough, it was at the Cathedral in Wichita, KS. There was some reason behind it, though I don't remember now what it was.

But truth be told - and I've said this elsewhere on this board - I've heard more theology, Scripture, and Gospel-teaching in one liturgical service than I did in ten years of exegetical teachings at a Baptist church. Even now on the occasion I visit a Baptist church - churches that pride themselves in bringing theology and exegetical teaching in all their sermons - it just seems empty compared to Orthodox services.

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2011, 10:21:40 AM »

I have to admit that I find it heart breaking that the Midnight Christmas Eve services I have been to tend not to have sermons (from as far as I could). If there are two days out of the year in which a good sermon is needed, its Christmas and Easter.

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »

Coming from a background where these men are highly respected, thus being familiar with their style and works, this video simply doesn't surprise me. They're not being vindictive in saying that Orthodoxy has no theology, but instead being ignorant; because Orthodoxy doesn't look like what they're used to, then Orthodoxy can have no theology.

Not sure. MacArthur, Kennedy, White, Morey and the like thrive on calling anything remotely reminiscent of Catholicism as evil. In their minds, since Orthodoxy is 'Catholic' we have to be bad.

DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »

As for the sermon issue, only once have I attended a service where a homily wasn't presented. Ironically enough, it was at the Cathedral in Wichita, KS. There was some reason behind it, though I don't remember now what it was.

But truth be told - and I've said this elsewhere on this board - I've heard more theology, Scripture, and Gospel-teaching in one liturgical service than I did in ten years of exegetical teachings at a Baptist church. Even now on the occasion I visit a Baptist church - churches that pride themselves in bringing theology and exegetical teaching in all their sermons - it just seems empty compared to Orthodox services.

You make some very good points, I was a very ardent fan of these guys,and many more like them. Their theology really can be reduced to nothing more than over dramatized bible stories. I call it Christian "baby food"!!! A regular diet of this for too many years can starve a person!!!
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2011, 06:43:35 PM »

You make some very good points, I was a very ardent fan of these guys,and many more like them. Their theology really can be reduced to nothing more than over dramatized bible stories. I call it Christian "baby food"!!! A regular diet of this for too many years can starve a person!!!

But I have to admit that sometimes I really miss the straightforward simplicity of my former Protestant churches. As a professor for who I was acting as a research assistant said to me once: "you're complicating the hell out of it again". It's true that some times over simplification can fail to provide what is needed (imagine trying to solve a Statistics question with nothing more than basic Arithmetic), but so too can insisting in over-analyzing (again, same analogy as before, but this time solving an Arithmetic question) cause problems too.

DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2011, 07:05:58 PM »

But I have to admit that sometimes I really miss the straightforward simplicity of my former Protestant churches. As a professor for who I was acting as a research assistant said to me once: "you're complicating the hell out of it again". It's true that some times over simplification can fail to provide what is needed (imagine trying to solve a Statistics question with nothing more than basic Arithmetic), but so too can insisting in over-analyzing (again, same analogy as before, but this time solving an Arithmetic question) cause problems too.

I can see where your coming from, I listened to MacArthur for years,and I can remember a couple of sermons regarding a Christians pursuit for "contentment" in life that was very profound!!
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2011, 07:21:53 PM »

I have to admit that I find it heart breaking that the Midnight Christmas Eve services I have been to tend not to have sermons (from as far as I could). If there are two days out of the year in which a good sermon is needed, its Christmas and Easter.

The Easter Sermon of St John Chrysostom is a standard part of the Paschal liturgy. Can't imagine a better one for the occasion.
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »

If you had Cancer ( God forbid it) would you go to a home spun country Doctor? He would be straight forward and simple within his power to help you. Sometimes such an approach works. But all in all you would do better at a modern hospital and even better at the Mayo Clinic. It would be more complicated in some ways for sure but the results would be worth it.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2011, 10:29:29 AM »

If you had Cancer ( God forbid it) would you go to a home spun country Doctor? He would be straight forward and simple within his power to help you. Sometimes such an approach works. But all in all you would do better at a modern hospital and even better at the Mayo Clinic. It would be more complicated in some ways for sure but the results would be worth it.

Interesting. Now can you please apply that analogy to Orthodox Vs. Protestant catechisms?

Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »

I have been to exactly two Protestant Services in my life. One was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the country, deep into the Shenandoah Valley where my new wife's family lives. It's heavily Mennonite. Her family goes to the "Church of the Brethren" which I think is  another form of Anabaptist. I am not really sure but they are all regular secular type people with cars and jobs, some are farmers.

I found it to be very pleasant. . Very simple Zen-like hall, dark wood all around very pleasing ethos. The Sermon was  nice, the pie was great. They were having some sort of BBQ the next week. I was sorry we couldnt come back for it. I love BBQ.

Most everyone is related to each other in some way or another. it's a strong little community. I was well entertained and a little inspired by the Sermon, well fed (stomach) and made to feel at home. It made me want to flee the city.

I get the appeal.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:45:47 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2011, 11:41:46 AM »

I have been to exactly two Protestant Services in my life. One was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the country, deep into the Shenandoah Valley where my new wife's family lives. It's heavily Mennonite. Her family goes to the "Church of the Brethren" which I think is  another form of Anabaptist. I am not really sure but they are all regular secular type people with cars and jobs, some are farmers.

I found it to be very pleasant. . Very simple Zen-like hall, dark wood all around very pleasing ethos. The Sermon was  nice, the pie was great. They were having some sort of BBQ the next week. I was sorry we couldnt come back for it. I love BBQ.

Most everyone is related to each other in some way or another. it's a strong little community. I was well entertained and a little inspired by the Sermon, well fed (stomach) and made to feel at home. It made me want to flee the city.

I get the appeal.

I've been to a few of the Bretheren churches too. Quite a few in the valley. Where at?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »

I have been to exactly two Protestant Services in my life. One was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the country, deep into the Shenandoah Valley where my new wife's family lives.
I thought your wife was Buddhist.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2011, 07:10:47 AM »

Not sure. MacArthur, Kennedy, White, Morey and the like thrive on calling anything remotely reminiscent of Catholicism as evil. In their minds, since Orthodoxy is 'Catholic' we have to be bad.
Just for the record, I never considered Morey, MacArthur, or Kennedy to be Men of God anyway

Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »

I get the appeal.

I've been to a few of the Bretheren churches too. Quite a few in the valley. Where at?

PP

Spring Creek VA. or just outside of it. South of Harrisonburg

Oh and the next town over is named something like "Brinie Branch"...  When I asked about it ( there was some kind of fair or gun show going on ) they responded..with a syrupy southern drawl:  "Oh those people over there are hicks"     ROFL
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:15:40 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2011, 12:11:10 PM »

I have been to exactly two Protestant Services in my life. One was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the country, deep into the Shenandoah Valley where my new wife's family lives.
I thought your wife was Buddhist.

I was a Buddhist. She was a secular Jew. She passed away five years ago. The new wifey is being referred to here.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »

sacerdotal vs evangelical...hmmm

odd beliefs...theosis is bizzare warping of bibles teaching on sanctification...blah blah

attended a liturgy in Moscow...no theology...nothing...sacerdotalism + nothing...blah blah

Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2011, 04:29:17 PM »

odd beliefs...theosis is bizzare warping of bibles teaching on sanctification...blah blah

attended a liturgy in Moscow...no theology...nothing...sacerdotalism + nothing...blah blah

In my fantasy life I want to see debates between Orthodox and folks like this. Wouldn't it be great if Ancient Faith Radio or some such could sponsor something like that, invite the usual suspects and then have at it in a semi-formal debate setting.. Vatican vs us too.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2011, 04:33:06 PM »

In my fantasy life I want to see debates between Orthodox and folks like this. Wouldn't it be great if Ancient Faith Radio or some such could sponsor something like that, invite the usual suspects and then have at it in a semi-formal debate setting.. Vatican vs us too.

I say a team of 3. Baptists can pick 3, Anglicans pick their 3, RC's and the Orthodox.  To steal a star trek quote, I'd pay real money to see that.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2011, 04:41:39 PM »

I can make your fantasy a reality: here you goWink
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2011, 05:23:20 PM »

I can make your fantasy a reality: here you goWink
You might actually get farther with a Google search if you spell the search terms correctly. It's "Christian", NOT "Chrisitan". LOL! laugh
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2011, 05:27:42 PM »

You might actually get farther with a Google search if you spell the search terms correctly. It's "Christian", NOT "Chrisitan". LOL! laugh

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Um... I did that on purpose. Yeah, that's right. If you spell it correctly you got all these snooty and elitist websites. Who wants that?

angel
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2011, 05:32:42 PM »

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Um... I did that on purpose. Yeah, that's right. If you spell it correctly you got all these snooty and elitist websites. Who wants that?

angel
Yeah, right. Roll Eyes  Wink
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:32:55 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2011, 05:49:31 PM »

I say a team of 3. Baptists can pick 3, Anglicans pick their 3, RC's and the Orthodox.  To steal a star trek quote, I'd pay real money to see that.

PP

yes, teams of 3 or 4 but not  all groups at once.

Who would you pick on the Orthodox side vs Evangelicals?

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2011, 03:31:08 AM »

The longest I've heard was 30 mins....
Baptist preachers don't break a sweat until 45 minutes in.

Depends on how far south you go...some will be sweating right off the get-go Wink
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2011, 03:31:55 AM »

PP

1 vote for Fr. Hopko
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2011, 06:42:22 AM »

PP

1 vote for Fr. Hopko
Clark Charlton

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2011, 10:29:38 AM »

Fr James Early (former Baptist preacher) for comparing beliefs

Fr Thomas Hopko for clarifying the Orthodox teaching on any given point

Fr Vasily (IS OUTRAGE) for giving an Orthodox response to Protestant teaching on any given point (   laugh )

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »

That would be very intresting,I do know of a particular podcast,hosted by Steve Robinson,and Bill Gould,that features I guess you could call an informal debate,between them and a gentleman by the name of James White,who is a Reformed Baptist Apologist,He has had debates will different Roman Catholic priests. They are discussing the issue of Sola Scriptura,you might check that out on Ancient Faith Radio,the title of the Podcast is "Our Life in Christ".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:36:57 PM by DennyB » Logged
fleur-de-lys
Chestertonian

Faith: Christian

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2011, 07:09:07 PM »

For the Anglican side, I'd nominate the Most Reverend Peter D. Robinson of the United Episcopal Church of North America and Father Robert Hart of the Anglican Catholic Church. Both are contributors to The Continuum, an Anglican blog of which I am rather fond. ( http://anglicancontinuum.blogspot.com )

Between us, by the peace of God, such truth can now be told;

Yea, there is strength in striking root, and good in growing old.
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2011, 11:40:58 PM »

That would be very intresting,I do know of a particular podcast,hosted by Steve Robinson,and Bill Gould,that features I guess you could call an informal debate,between them and a gentleman by the name of James White,who is a Reformed Baptist Apologist,He has had debates will different Roman Catholic priests. They are discussing the issue of Sola Scriptura,you might check that out on Ancient Faith Radio,the title of the Podcast is "Our Life in Christ".

Yup, Big fan. I know Steve a bit. I wish they would produce a few more shows.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: