Orthodox in Latin America?

(1/1)

Frobie:
Anybody know about Orthodox missions in the new world?

prodromos:
You might be interested in this.

In Havana, Cuba, the orthodox communities have been without churches for a while. There is the church, Saints Constantine and Helen, but it has been home to a children's theatre company for many years. I believe it had been used by both the Greek and Russian communities up until 1975 and the Greek ambassador had recently been applying pressure for its return.

Instead of returning the church, however, the Castro government has agreed on the construction of a new Greek Orthodox church, Saint Nikolaos. Not only that, but they have provided them with the land, totally prime real estate, the port side in Old Havana, which is also a UNESCO World Heritage site.

As far as I understand, the Russians have also been trying either to gain access to the old church or obtain permission to build a new church, so it is significant that the government, on its own initiative, bestowed such a blessing on the Greeks, considering Cuba's traditional ties with Russia and the significantly larger Russian population in Cuba.

Orthodoc:
[Anybody know about Orthodox missions in the new world?]

You can get information by accessing the OCMC website -

http://www.ocmc.org/

You can watch a short Video by clicking on the appropriate place located on the first page.

If you are only interested in the Orthodox Missions within North & South America click on -

http://www.ocmc.org/worldwide/namerica.htm

Orthodoc

David:
Quote from: prodromos on December 20, 2002, 05:03:02 AM

You might be interested in this.

In Havana, Cuba, the orthodox communities have been without churches for a while. There is the church, Saints Constantine and Helen, but it has been home to a children's theatre company for many years. I believe it had been used by both the Greek and Russian communities up until 1975 and the Greek ambassador had recently been applying pressure for its return.

Instead of returning the church, however, the Castro government has agreed on the construction of a new Greek Orthodox church, Saint Nikolaos. Not only that, but they have provided them with the land, totally prime real estate, the port side in Old Havana, which is also a UNESCO World Heritage site.

As far as I understand, the Russians have also been trying either to gain access to the old church or obtain permission to build a new church, so it is significant that the government, on its own initiative, bestowed such a blessing on the Greeks, considering Cuba's traditional ties with Russia and the significantly larger Russian population in Cuba.

Prodomos,

This interests me very much.  Do you have any more information on Orthodoxy in Cuba?

JoeS:
Project Mexico & St. Innocent Orphanage  www.projectmexico.org

P.O. 120028
Chula Vista, CA 91912-3128

This mission which borders the US, started out in 1988 to take care of orphaned boys who were literally tossed out of other orphanages because of the age without the wherewithall to make it in society.  This mission takes these boys in and houses, feeds, educates and gives them a chance in this world.  Thousands of volunteers from mostly the US have given of their time to help out in any way they can especially in building new homes for the homeless.  Over 110 families in that area now have substantial homes where before they had barely shacks to live in.  This mission is doing God's work among the poorest of citizens.  Our parish tries to alot one month out of the year for contributions to this most worthy cause.
 :)

JoeS

Quote from: byzrubush on December 20, 2002, 02:34:00 AM

Anybody know about Orthodox missions in the new world?

Navigation

[0] Message Index