No insults necessary, just refutation. Someone has laid an assault on our church and her practices and we should do our best to show him (and others) why he is in error.We have, multiple folks, multiple times. However he does what many folks do. They choose to ignore arguments or facts to which they can not readily google-fu or dispute and focus on ones they think they can (yesh is a prime example but also Alfred Pearsson or however you spell his name, which I think he finally had enough).
No you HAVE NOT nor has anybody else. What you do is try to give explanations on WHY you are DISOBEYING Christ. Let me give you an example.
Let's just make it simple... Let's use a burglar.
A burglar hears the commandment "Thou shalt not steal".
A burglar walks by a glass window and sees a diamond ring and thinks "well let's see would it be stealing if I was "really" helping people".
The burglar thinks for a minute and considers what his crime would do. He thinks:
1) If I break the glass I get a free $2000 ring.
2) The insurance company pays for the owner's damages and to replace the ring so the owner is not out money...
3) All the people in the area get scared so they buy more insurance so the insurance company is not out money...
4) If I am caught I go to jail, which the janitors, jailers, and wardens make more money and I'm giving them a job....
5) If I am caught I also get free meals and housing so its good for me too
Guys, this is how Satan works often in temptations. He uses justification in order to have you sin.
Now look at what Yeshua said:
Matthew 23:8 8But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. 9And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. 10Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. 11But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.
Please understand this is what God said. Okay? Please read it very carefully. He was speaking in the direct context of spiritual leaders & teachers.
So here are the "explanations that I get"
1) We can do it because so and so did it in the bible.
2) We can do it because we have some records of so and so Christian doing so.
3) We don't mean father in a literal sense, we mean it as a spiritual leader teacher father.
4) I've even had a message "The priest is the Father and represents Christ in the Liturgy" LOL!
5) We are following the example of saint this or that
When we have to give explanations AROUND the commands of God, you are sinning. If you believe that Yeshua was God then you must understand that God has directly told you "Call NO MAN FATHER, and Call NO MAN MASTER".
What are priests called in Eastern Orthodoxy - Father
What are bishops called in Eastern Orthodoxy - "Bless MASTER"
That is called disobedience to God. But no, people think I'm going to accept "explanations". ie - "We've already explained this to you".
No my friends you've explained to me the reasons that you keep defying the command of God incarnate.
You've explained to me the reasoning Eastern Orthodoxy gives you to disobey God.
You've explained to me a tradition of sin that has lasted for generations which directly defies what our Messiah told us NOT to do.
I don't think that some of you understand that explanations of things that God directly told us not to do is from the deceiver ("father of lies" "liar since the beginning").
So when we have a clear and direct text of God saying "Do not call a man Father, Master, or Rabbi" (when speaking of people of religious importance) and you go on and give reasons and explanations to go ahead and do it anyway, then you are letting satan convince you the same way he convinces the burglar. I use that analogy because it is clear cut to all of us that the burglar is wrong, but to him he thinks its a win / win.
For the Eastern Orthodox they see this as justified, respectful, traditional, etc. But it's wrong because God told us not to do it.