OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 01:32:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptism served as part of the Divine Liturgy  (Read 1893 times) Average Rating: 0
Mattheos

I'm a llama!

« on: August 19, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »

I was wondering if anyone has the rubics handy which gives the order of service when a baptism is served as part of the Divine Liturgy.

Thanks,
Mattheos

NULL
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:17:26 AM »

There are made up rubrics that St. Vladimir's Seminary produced in the form of one of their little liturgical booklets. The "Baptismal Liturgy" is a completely made up service and has been discussed in other threads.

The traditional rubric for baptisms during liturgy is they take place during the Old Testament reading that you find during the Vesperal Liturgies that proceed a great feast (Pascha, Christmas, Theophany). 

Joseph
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »

Links to such threads?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 07:29:52 PM »

Links to such threads?

Baptism as part of Liturgy
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17516.0.html

Funeral Divine Liturgy - which has some crossover talk on the subject
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,26886.0.html

Discussion of the practice in the Church of Moscow
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24071.0.html

I remember a discussion of the practice as done by the OCA and their little booklet but, I can not seem to find it.

The search function of this website usually is a great place to look.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:30:54 PM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 04:15:36 AM »

It's cool to witness such a thing. I had an opportunity for a few times.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 04:34:54 PM »

I have witnessed such Liturgies. The Liturgy per se begins with "As Many as have been Baptized", and takes over from the Baptismal service after the exclamation "For Holy art Thou..."
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 05:00:40 PM »

My children's baptism was part of a baptismal liturgy. It didn't seem all that different, really, just with a baptism inserted in the middle.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »

There are made up rubrics that St. Vladimir's Seminary produced in the form of one of their little liturgical booklets. The "Baptismal Liturgy" is a completely made up service and has been discussed in other threads.

The traditional rubric for baptisms during liturgy is they take place during the Old Testament reading that you find during the Vesperal Liturgies that proceed a great feast (Pascha, Christmas, Theophany). 

I am confused. On the one hand, there is a traditional rubric for baptismal liturgies (second paragraph) and on the other hand, it si completely made up service. I have no idea what the SVS rubrics do, but it seems to me that it is a variation on a theme rather than a new theme.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 06:58:45 PM »

I am confused. On the one hand, there is a traditional rubric for baptismal liturgies (second paragraph) and on the other hand, it si completely made up service. I have no idea what the SVS rubrics do, but it seems to me that it is a variation on a theme rather than a new theme.

Sorry for the confusion.

Let me clarify. "The Baptismal Liturgy" that SVS has propagated in the past is an innovation, in that forces elements of the baptism service into the structure of the Liturgy.

This is a development out of the ancient practice of baptisms during major feast day liturgies. The issues is that these baptisms were taking place outside of the temple and happening as the liturgy was taking place. This can still occurs on Holy Saturday, Christmas and Theophany when the baptisms can take place during the Old Testament readings of the St. Basil's liturgy, in which case the baptism are done outside of the temple proper and are in fact a separate service from the liturgy.

Joseph
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 08:07:34 PM »

From what I've seen done, the baptism is done in place of the antiphons right at the beginning of the liturgy. The liturgy picks up with "As many as have been baptized into Christ..." in place of the Trisagion.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Mattheos

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 11:04:11 AM »

So there is no small entrance with the Holy Gospel when the Baptism is served? So all antiphons, entrance hymns (eg Come let us worship and fall down before Christ), apolyiticions (of the day, tempal and kontakion) are omitted?   

NULL
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 11:25:54 AM »

So there is no small entrance with the Holy Gospel when the Baptism is served? So all antiphons, entrance hymns (eg Come let us worship and fall down before Christ), apolyiticions (of the day, tempal and kontakion) are omitted? 

The baptism is done in place of the three antiphons. I'll have to pay better attention next time to make a note of how exactly the transition is made into the liturgy. I'm pretty sure there is a small entrance.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »

It's a pretentious innovation.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 09:45:44 PM »

No,there is no "Small entrance"The servers bear candles,and go back to the altar during ("As many")
After the exclamation,the priest carries or-leads(if the baptised person is an adult), the baptised person 3x around the analogion. Then, all return to the altar.The liturgy continues as normal
I have to agree with you augustin.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 05:14:28 AM »

AFAIR it starts before the Liturgy but the final  part and chrismation is done in the moment previous posters wrote.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: