OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 12:42:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For all us Celtophiles.  (Read 2430 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2011, 10:07:56 AM »

Try telling a Highland Scot from, say, Ft William, that he's a "Celt" as to a Scot and he will laugh at you.  Tell a Cornishman that about some mythical pan-Celtic identity and he will wonder what you've been smoking.  Acting like the people of the so-called Celtic Fringe are alike in all but the mist vague ways is like acting the people of the Powhatan Confederacy  of Virginia are the same as the Lakota Sioux of the Northern Plains.  The term 'Celtic' as used now has as much ethnographic weight as 'Indian' does. 

And I write this as a proud descendant of the Irish, Scottish, and Welsh people.  I also wear a July as an everyday garment and did so daily for almost two years.  The term 'Celtic' as used by most people to mean some homogeneous cultural mores if the people who populated the aforementioned Celtic Fringe is meaningless.  You might as well say the Druids built Stonehenge.

First of all... The Druids didn't build Stonehenge? Shocked But how else could some ancient neolithic race have the knowledge to move those stones and put them in those positions with out the help of the Druids?  Huh Huh Huh Tongue

And second... when you say that you "wear a July as an everyday garment" do you mean a Kilt? Because I googled July just to see if I could find any garment under that name just to be sure that was a typo.

Blast!  Yes I meant kilt.  Bloody autocorrect!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2011, 12:52:22 PM »

Try telling a Highland Scot from, say, Ft William, that he's a "Celt" as to a Scot and he will laugh at you.  Tell a Cornishman that about some mythical pan-Celtic identity and he will wonder what you've been smoking.  Acting like the people of the so-called Celtic Fringe are alike in all but the mist vague ways is like acting the people of the Powhatan Confederacy  of Virginia are the same as the Lakota Sioux of the Northern Plains.  The term 'Celtic' as used now has as much ethnographic weight as 'Indian' does. 

And I write this as a proud descendant of the Irish, Scottish, and Welsh people.  I also wear a July as an everyday garment and did so daily for almost two years.  The term 'Celtic' as used by most people to mean some homogeneous cultural mores if the people who populated the aforementioned Celtic Fringe is meaningless.  You might as well say the Druids built Stonehenge.

First of all... The Druids didn't build Stonehenge? Shocked But how else could some ancient neolithic race have the knowledge to move those stones and put them in those positions with out the help of the Druids?  Huh Huh Huh Tongue

And second... when you say that you "wear a July as an everyday garment" do you mean a Kilt? Because I googled July just to see if I could find any garment under that name just to be sure that was a typo.

Just curious, ever worn it to church?

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »

Just curious, ever worn it to church?

I stopped wearing them full time before I became Orthodox, but I wore them to my Greek Catholic church.  Everyone loved it.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2011, 12:57:36 PM »

I stopped wearing them full time before I became Orthodox, but I wore them to my Greek Catholic church.  Everyone loved it.

nice. my first priest wanted me to wear mine to church one day to get a point across to the parishoners about being more accepting. this was a Greek parish. I never did though... well not to an Orthodox parish

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2011, 01:02:55 PM »

nice. my first priest wanted me to wear mine to church one day to get a point across to the parishoners about being more accepting. this was a Greek parish. I never did though... well not to an Orthodox parish

When I wore one to the Greek festival at the Cathedral in Baltimore, one of the parishoners, a rather swarthy, charming fellow, came up to me, embraced me Greek style and said, "Ah, you must be Greek!"

He then proceeded to tell us about the "beautiful mousaka" downstairs.

Hard for Greeks to say anything when they wear those little skirts themselves.

dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2011, 01:05:45 PM »

When I wore one to the Greek festival at the Cathedral in Baltimore, one of the parishoners, a rather swarthy, charming fellow, came up to me, embraced me Greek style and said, "Ah, you must be Greek!"

Funny, and true! I doubt those at my Antiochian parish would be very accepting of my wearing a kilt to church. Outside of the church, not a problem.

Check out my blog...
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2011, 03:00:24 PM »

Funny, and true! I doubt those at my Antiochian parish would be very accepting of my wearing a kilt to church. Outside of the church, not a problem.
A subdeacon of Scots-Irish ancestry wore one in our parish on Sunday of Orthodoxy (concealed when serving,  of course,but later carrying a St. Patrick icon). No one seemed to pay any matter of mind & for me being Arabic & Welsh, an expression of another ancestry.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2011, 07:18:06 PM »

kilt -> july - autocorrect?  Huh

Ok, for those from Donegal and those from Cork, need to find out if there are any long-lost relatives hiding on here ...

where in Donegal ??

Anyone from Newtoncunningham, St Johnstown, Monfad, or Murlough,

where in Cork?

How about Rathcormac or Lisgoold?

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:18:29 PM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »

Bantry
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2012, 02:47:57 AM »

If anyone is interested. The BBC have a series, "A history of Celtic Britain", with Scottish presenter Neil Oliver.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2012, 03:43:08 AM »

A subdeacon of Scots-Irish ancestry wore one in our parish on Sunday of Orthodoxy (concealed when serving,  of course,but later carrying a St. Patrick icon).

Of course most Scots-Irish were not Highlanders, and thus most never wore kilts.  I guess figuring out that they're not Irish is a start though.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2012, 03:57:35 AM »

I wouldn't put it past them.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2012, 08:30:37 AM »

If anyone is interested. The BBC have a series, "A history of Celtic Britain", with Scottish presenter Neil Oliver.
Thanks! Btw, the last episode of the podcast series was recently posted.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2012, 08:43:55 AM »

Quote from: Irish Melkite

Ok, I couldn't let this go and finally figured it out. Either Schultz has fat fingers and doesn't want to admit it or his autocorrect is correcting on the basis of the adjacent keys, j and u for k and i. Any bets to be had on which it was?

Many years,

Neil (where's a smirk emoticon when you need one?)

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2012, 10:01:40 AM »

Quote from: Irish Melkite

Ok, I couldn't let this go and finally figured it out. Either Schultz has fat fingers and doesn't want to admit it or his autocorrect is correcting on the basis of the adjacent keys, j and u for k and i. Any bets to be had on which it was?

Many years,

Neil (where's a smirk emoticon when you need one?)

I DO NOT HAVE FAT FINGERS! Wink

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2012, 01:38:22 PM »

A subdeacon of Scots-Irish ancestry wore one in our parish on Sunday of Orthodoxy (concealed when serving,  of course,but later carrying a St. Patrick icon).

Of course most Scots-Irish were not Highlanders, and thus most never wore kilts.  I guess figuring out that they're not Irish is a start though.

A lot of what is now the "Lowlands" used to be the Highlands though. People used to speak Gaelic even in Galloway. Back when I used to read the Scotsman it was always depressing to hear of people from places with thoroughly Gaelic names, who had Gaelic names themselves like "Iain Duncan" (just a made up example), who said Gaelic was "foreign" and they shouldn't be having any Gaelic medium education in their towns.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »

The website Learn Gaelic is for Scots Gaelic. I think they also have a site for Irish.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: