OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 08:53:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Online Article: With the Desert Fathers of Egypt (Road to Emmaus Journal)  (Read 506 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr.Kyrillos

« on: August 18, 2011, 02:06:53 PM »

Worthy of a read...

http://www.roadtoemmaus.net/back_issue_articles/RTE_38/With_the_Dessert_Fathers_of_Egypt.pdf

Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:34:19 PM »

The first half was very interesting. The second half full of errors and anti-Orthodox comments and statements.

I was going to share the document until I reached the half way point. I believed I had much in common with Bebawi until I reached the half way point.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 02:43:59 PM »

The first half was very interesting. The second half full of errors and anti-Orthodox comments and statements.

I was going to share the document until I reached the half way point. I believed I had much in common with Bebawi until I reached the half way point.

Yes, Father I agree. Of course, I should have stated that the author's prejudices and obvious antagonism (as displayed in many other places)against the modern Coptic Church hierarchy needs to be taken into account when reading the article.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »

Fr. Peter,

I just got to that part myself. I see what you mean.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Aegyptoc

Faith: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:12:13 PM »

I agree. I didn't know what to think/say and was a bit confused reading the second half.
In fact, I'm still confused.
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 03:26:45 PM »

I found the following to be of interest:

When I was getting ready to leave for England to take up a scholarship at
Cambridge, Fr. Menas had already become Patriarch Kyrillos VI. I went to
see him and asked, “Where should I receive Communion?” He said, “If the
Greeks allow you to receive Communion, go.

Here we have a very highly esteemed saint in the Coptic Church permitting a Copt to received Communion from the Eastern Orthodox.  To Copts/OOs: do you have any similar quotes from Patriarch Kyrillos VI regarding the Eastern Orthodox.  Do you have any quotes from him regarding the Roman Catholics?  I have not read  or heard of any contemporary EO saints allowing an EO to receive sacraments from an OO or Coptic priest.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: