OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 09:02:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Academic conference seeks to normalize pedophilia  (Read 758 times) Average Rating: 0
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: August 18, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »

BALTIMORE, MD, August 16, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Researchers from several prominent U.S. universities will participate tomorrow in a Baltimore conference reportedly aiming to normalize pedophilia.  According to the sponsoring organization’s website, the event will examine ways in which “minor-attracted persons” can be involved in a revision of the American Psychological Association (APA) classification of pedophilia.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:45:15 PM »

BALTIMORE, MD, August 16, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Researchers from several prominent U.S. universities will participate tomorrow in a Baltimore conference reportedly aiming to normalize pedophilia.  According to the sponsoring organization’s website, the event will examine ways in which “minor-attracted persons” can be involved in a revision of the American Psychological Association (APA) classification of pedophilia.

Sheep are nervous.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 12:49:18 PM »

^ So am I.  I thought I was only going to need a shotgun for when my daughters become teenagers; now I may need it years earlier than that! Wink

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »

Sounds a little bit like letting the lunatics run the asylum, allowing for pedophiles to participate in redefining pedophilia.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:16:41 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:37:11 PM »

Actually, pedophilia as such has changed over time. It is about the "love" of children.

Technically, I reserve pedophilia for sex with pre-pubescent humans. Once you hit puberty, things bet more complicated, historically, culturally (The Virgin Mary was 14ish when The Holy Spirit "shadowed" over her), and forensically.

Having sex with minors does not a pedophile make.

In fact, in the US we have gotten carried away with labeling folks so-called "sex offenders" for life for the most benign of sexual practices within the context of our legal framework.

Rape a an eight year old and you get out of prison you will registered right a long with the guy who was 25 and having sex with 17 year old.

Insane. The latter shouldn't even be illegal.

Unfortunately, the Vatican tried making this point at the worst of times. The majority of the cases being labeled as acts of pedophilia were often homosexual acts with pubescent boys, sometimes consensually so.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »

Sheep are nervous.
"minor-attracted persons." Is that like "violence-attracted persons"?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 02:33:52 PM »

We have to draw a limit. I think that 16-25 is an age period where maturity varies a lot and I think the limit of 18 is as good as any. Some 16-year-old already think like adults, most 23 still think like teenagers. The law will always have to define a fixed age for conscent . But the law can't be applied blindly, since we have border line cases like a 19-year-old having sex with a 17-year-old. That's why we have a human judge who will be able to moderate the case.

Also, I have a friend whose parents had a difference of age of 20 years and they met when she was 17. He died and the widow never married again. She did have some "boyfriends" but the love of her life was really her deceased husband. Even if their difference was 10 years only and she was 18, would it make much of a difference in terms of maturity? I don't think so. In late through extended adolescence it varies. In border line cases, family, friends and ultimately a judge, have to see if and how the law applies.

Etymologicaly paraphilias based on age are thus classified (Wikipedia again):

Paedophilia is a psychological disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a sexual preference for prepubescent children. According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), paedophilia is specified as a form of paraphilia in which a person either has intense sexual urges towards children, and experiences recurrent sexual urges towards and fantasies about children that he or she has acted on or that cause distress or interpersonal difficulty. The diagnosis can be made under the DSM or ICD criteria for persons age 16 and older. The disorder is common among persons who commit child sexual abuse; although some offenders do not meet the clinical diagnosis standards for paedophilia. Nepiophilia and infantophilia describe a sexual preference for toddlers and infants (usually ages 0–3).

The term paedohebephilia refers to an expansion and reclassification of paedophilia with subgroups in the DSM-5. It refers more broadly to sexual attractions. People who are dysfunctional as a result of it are diagnosed with paedohebephilic disorder. People are broken down into types based on the idea of being attracted to one, the other or both. Hebephilia is described below.

Hebephilia and ephebophilia are sexual preference for pubescent and post-pubescent youths, respectively. Hebephilia is the sexual preference for pubescent individuals, and ephebophilia is the sexual preference for mid-to-late adolescents (generally 16–19 years). The term hebephilia was introduced by Glueck (1955). Kurt Freund (and Aleš Kolářský) use the term adolescentophilia for a sexual preference of pubescent and/or adolescent youths. In this context, the adolescentophilia focused on boys is ephebophilia (from the Greek ephebos), the adolescentophilia focused on girls is hebephilia (the terms korophilia and parthenophilia are sometimes used in similar meanings). Freund and Kolářský differentiate both ephebophilia and hebephilia by the preferred age: ephebophilia and hebephilia I (age of early puberty), II (middle adolescence) and III (late adolescence).

Teleiophilia (from Greek teleios, "full grown") is erotic or sexual interest in adults. Teleiophilia is not restricted by the teleiophile's age.[citation needed] Sex-specific attractions to persons are "gynephilia and androphilia". Teleiophilia was also called adultophilia.

Gerontophilia and graeophilia describe erotic or sexual preference for the elderly.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »

Something that is slowly coming into the consciousness of many people is the growing realization that adolescence is a distinct period of life that is not what we had thought it was. Adolescence starts with the onset of puberty (these days 10 is normal as an average) and lasts into the mid-twenties for girls and late-twenties for boys. During this time, brain scans have shown a marked decrease in the functioning of the pre-frontal cortex (which is the risk-assessing, decision making part of the brain) and a correspondingly marked increase in the functioning of the brain sectors that process emotions and urges. The implications for consent and a multitude of other laws and customs are great. Why are we allowing our young folks to run wild when they attend college (that is away from parental supervision) when their decision-making ability is impaired. Why do we allow them to marry without parental consent at 18? To enter into contracts at age 21? Why indeed do we allow them to drive vehicles as early as 15? Can an adolescent make a rational decision such as those above or to engage in sexual relations?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 03:00:19 PM »

Something that is slowly coming into the consciousness of many people is the growing realization that adolescence is a distinct period of life that is not what we had thought it was. Adolescence starts with the onset of puberty (these days 10 is normal as an average) and lasts into the mid-twenties for girls and late-twenties for boys. During this time, brain scans have shown a marked decrease in the functioning of the pre-frontal cortex (which is the risk-assessing, decision making part of the brain) and a correspondingly marked increase in the functioning of the brain sectors that process emotions and urges. The implications for consent and a multitude of other laws and customs are great. Why are we allowing our young folks to run wild when they attend college (that is away from parental supervision) when their decision-making ability is impaired. Why do we allow them to marry without parental consent at 18? To enter into contracts at age 21? Why indeed do we allow them to drive vehicles as early as 15? Can an adolescent make a rational decision such as those above or to engage in sexual relations?

Getting my driver's licence at 15 and outta of my house was about the most rational and healthy decision that was being made around me by "adults".

And I have found the "choice" to have sex to be a rational decision among very few adults no matter the age.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »

We have to draw a limit. I think that 16-25 is an age period where maturity varies a lot and I think the limit of 18 is as good as any. Some 16-year-old already think like adults, most 23 still think like teenagers. The law will always have to define a fixed age for conscent . But the law can't be applied blindly, since we have border line cases like a 19-year-old having sex with a 17-year-old. That's why we have a human judge who will be able to moderate the case.

Also, I have a friend whose parents had a difference of age of 20 years and they met when she was 17. He died and the widow never married again. She did have some "boyfriends" but the love of her life was really her deceased husband. Even if their difference was 10 years only and she was 18, would it make much of a difference in terms of maturity? I don't think so. In late through extended adolescence it varies. In border line cases, family, friends and ultimately a judge, have to see if and how the law applies.

Etymologicaly paraphilias based on age are thus classified (Wikipedia again):

Paedophilia is a psychological disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a sexual preference for prepubescent children. According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), paedophilia is specified as a form of paraphilia in which a person either has intense sexual urges towards children, and experiences recurrent sexual urges towards and fantasies about children that he or she has acted on or that cause distress or interpersonal difficulty. The diagnosis can be made under the DSM or ICD criteria for persons age 16 and older. The disorder is common among persons who commit child sexual abuse; although some offenders do not meet the clinical diagnosis standards for paedophilia. Nepiophilia and infantophilia describe a sexual preference for toddlers and infants (usually ages 0–3).

The term paedohebephilia refers to an expansion and reclassification of paedophilia with subgroups in the DSM-5. It refers more broadly to sexual attractions. People who are dysfunctional as a result of it are diagnosed with paedohebephilic disorder. People are broken down into types based on the idea of being attracted to one, the other or both. Hebephilia is described below.

Hebephilia and ephebophilia are sexual preference for pubescent and post-pubescent youths, respectively. Hebephilia is the sexual preference for pubescent individuals, and ephebophilia is the sexual preference for mid-to-late adolescents (generally 16–19 years). The term hebephilia was introduced by Glueck (1955). Kurt Freund (and Aleš Kolářský) use the term adolescentophilia for a sexual preference of pubescent and/or adolescent youths. In this context, the adolescentophilia focused on boys is ephebophilia (from the Greek ephebos), the adolescentophilia focused on girls is hebephilia (the terms korophilia and parthenophilia are sometimes used in similar meanings). Freund and Kolářský differentiate both ephebophilia and hebephilia by the preferred age: ephebophilia and hebephilia I (age of early puberty), II (middle adolescence) and III (late adolescence).

Teleiophilia (from Greek teleios, "full grown") is erotic or sexual interest in adults. Teleiophilia is not restricted by the teleiophile's age.[citation needed] Sex-specific attractions to persons are "gynephilia and androphilia". Teleiophilia was also called adultophilia.

Gerontophilia and graeophilia describe erotic or sexual preference for the elderly.

This is why I don't need wikipedia. I am just that right about stuff.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 03:05:41 PM »

In Ancient Greece, a person was considered a full citizen only after 30. In my own experience, I feel too that I only became an adult in the psychological sense of the word at some point between 29 and 31.

I feel that *most* things should be allowed only after 30. Ordination is one. Voting is another. But as for driving, having conscent for marriage, and other personal activities, giving some responsibility to the person is part of what will make them grow up. I know that were I not such an idiot, I would have married a very special girl I met when I was 18 and she was 17 I guess. But that is responsibility. Although I made the wrong choice, it would be much worse if I had been prohibited by law from making the right one back then.

Adolescents can't have all the responsibilities of an adult, but they must have some. And responsibility means bearing with consequences from your acts.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »

In Ancient Greece, a person was considered a full citizen only after 30. In my own experience, I feel too that I only became an adult in the psychological sense of the word at some point between 29 and 31.

I feel that *most* things should be allowed only after 30. Ordination is one. Voting is another. But as for driving, having conscent for marriage, and other personal activities, giving some responsibility to the person is part of what will make them grow up. I know that were I not such an idiot, I would have married a very special girl I met when I was 18 and she was 17 I guess. But that is responsibility. Although I made the wrong choice, it would be much worse if I had been prohibited by law from making the right one back then.

Adolescents can't have all the responsibilities of an adult, but they must have some. And responsibility means bearing with consequences from your acts.

How old are you now?

When you hit 60 that number will probably be 50. //:=)

Can't turn back time. Money rules. And kids are a big influx of cash into the market and the age at which they affect the market in a significant manner keeps going lower.

As political power beccomes less of importance as economic, we will soon be rules by the vicissitudes of toddlers.

This is another place for the recommendation of the The Disappearance of Childhood by Neil Postman.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:15:29 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »

Getting my driver's licence at 15 and outta of my house was about the most rational and healthy decision that was being made around me by "adults".

And I have found the "choice" to have sex to be a rational decision among very few adults no matter the age.

As I said, what happens between adolescence and early adulthood is a case by case issue. I think 18 is a good marker for legal responsibility and I would accept 16 but not earlier.

Maybe we should have two markers: one for limited accountability (can drive, can get married, sign certain kinds of contracts, specially those related to education and starting a professional life or a business) at around 18, and another for full accountability at 30, for being electable to public offices, in case of churches, being ordained and other activites that require some experience in life as a "back log" for comparison in important decisions.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: