OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:16:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Justinian and Theodora...saints?  (Read 1698 times) Average Rating: 0
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« on: August 18, 2011, 05:47:03 AM »

Is it true that Justinian and Theodora are considered saints in the Orthodox Church?

Many historians portray Justinian as cruel, and Theodora as sexually promiscuous... is this just slander?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:47:46 AM by neon_knights » Logged
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 08:56:54 AM »

Is it true that Justinian and Theodora are considered saints in the Orthodox Church?

Many historians portray Justinian as cruel, and Theodora as sexually promiscuous... is this just slander?

Theodora's sexual promiscuity is overrated. She was an actress when young performing eschatologic comedies that were probably more vulgar than American Pie or Porky's. Remember that it was late Roman culture so this vulgarity probably mean she had to perform these very vulgar scenes in front of the public, live. That's the main source of the legends about her promiscuity. Did she really went one step further and accepted money for sex like many actresses of the time? We'll never know, although that would be plausible. We do know that the "reports" on this were made by a political enemy who hated her and had lots of personal interest in having her slandered. What we also know is that she first married a Roman centurion who gave her a child and abandoned her and she had to return to the theater, where she met Justinian. After she married him, except from the mouth of this political enemy, she was very respected, sometimes even more than Justinian himself. She had lots of charities, had a special concern for poor women and ex-prostitues. According to Wikipedia:

She had laws passed that prohibited forced prostitution and closed brothels. She created a convent on the Asian side of the Dardanelles called the Metanoia (Repentance), where the ex-prostitutes could support themselves. She also expanded the rights of women in divorce and property ownership, instituted the death penalty for rape, forbade exposure of unwanted infants, gave mothers some guardianship rights over their children, and forbade the killing of a wife who committed adultery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodora_(wife_of_Justinian_I)

That suggests that *if* she engaged in prostitution at an early age, it was not for promiscuity but forced by necessity and circumstance. Even if she was one, she clearly saw it as a humiliating, non-desirable state. Her laws for protecting women show that she suffered and learned a lot.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »

NVM
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:34:49 AM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:30:24 AM »

Justinian did persecute the non-Chalcedonians of his day, but I am not going to allow myself to be dragged into another debate on the subject. It has been discussed to death before.

You've started that debate.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 10:35:37 AM »

Justinian did persecute the non-Chalcedonians of his day, but I am not going to allow myself to be dragged into another debate on the subject. It has been discussed to death before.

You've started that debate.
Perhaps you're right, I edited my post. Sorry, it wasn't my intention to try to cause trouble. Forgive me. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:35:57 AM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:08:15 PM »

Yes, they are saints in the Eastern Orthodox Churches. And yes, much of what is written about them is probably exaggeration  or untrue--slander--coming from the secret histories of Procopius who certainly had an axe to grind.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »

Yes, they are saints in the Eastern Orthodox Churches. And yes, much of what is written about them is probably exaggeration  or untrue--slander--coming from the secret histories of Procopius who certainly had an axe to grind.

This. They're both actually quite beloved saints. St. Justianian, who was quite the hymnist, wrote one of my favorite hymns that we Byzantines sing at every Divine Liturgy (i.e., O Monogenes Yios, or in English Only Begotten Son).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:53:21 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 04:01:22 PM »

This. They're both actually quite beloved saints. St. Justianian, who was quite the hymnist, wrote one of my favorite hymns that we Byzantines sing at every Divine Liturgy (i.e., O Monogenes Yios, or in English Only Begotten Son).

In the Oriental Orthodox tradition O Monogenes Yios, or in English Only Begotten Son) is ascribed to St. Severus the Great of Antioch.

NULL
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »

In the Oriental Orthodox tradition O Monogenes Yios, or in English Only Begotten Son) is ascribed to St. Severus the Great of Antioch.

Really? I have never heard that before.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 04:04:48 PM »

Queen Theodora is considered Blessed and as a defender of  non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox) Christians during the reign of Justinian.
http://www.soc-wus.org/ourchurch/St.%20Theodora%20Empress.htm
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:15:18 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »

Really? I have never heard that before.

Refer to the Holy Qurbana (Divine Liturgy) of the Syriac Orthodox Church online at  http://sor.cua.edu/Liturgy/Anaphora/PubCeleb.html. You can see the antiphon by St. Severius, (in Syriac Maneetho of Mor Severius) the Patriarch of Antioch.

You can listen this hymn in Syriac at:  http://youtu.be/JuWDGWB-YmM
You can listen this hymn in Malayalam (Malankara aka Indian Orthodox) at: http://youtu.be/CjDhFp4E7N4   .Read the text as part of this video.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:16:17 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 12:20:26 AM »

Saints aren't always born Saints. St. Cyprian used to worship demons.

If the things we've done before we come to Christ could ever keep us from becoming Saints then Christ would not be God.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 12:26:12 AM »

In regards to St. Justinian, I guess you are talking about the massacre after the riots?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:31:52 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 06:38:33 AM »

In regards to St. Justinian, I guess you are talking about the massacre after the riots?

Yes, that was the main thing I was referring to.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 07:52:15 AM »

Yes, that was the main thing I was referring to.

Consider that the rioters destroyed St. Constantine's Hagia Sophia Church and much of the city. They were not innocent victims.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags: Emperor Justinian St. Theodora 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: