OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 03:22:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fundamentalist parents torture daughter to death because "God told them to".  (Read 1918 times) Average Rating: 0
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:59:10 PM »

Lord Have Mercy!!  Angry +

CNN's Video:
http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2011/08/15/exp.ac.tuchman.punishment.cnn

Article:
http://morallowground.com/2011/08/16/kevin-elizabeth-schatz-christian-fundamentalists-spanked-7-year-old-daughter-to-death-because-god-wanted-them-to/

A California couple is behind bars after pleading guilty to torturing and murdering their seven-year-old adopted daughter.

According to CNN, Kevin and Elizabeth Schatz of Paradise, California beat seven-year-old Lydia Schatz to death because they believe “God” wanted them to. The couple beat Lydia for seven consecutive hours, with breaks for prayer, on the day she died. When police arrived at the Schatz residence, Lydia was still alive. An officer administered CPR, but it was too late.

“We have heard the phrase ‘death by a thousand lashes,” Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey told CNN. “That’s basically what this was.”

Lydia was beaten with, among other things, a 15″ plumbing supply tube, called a “biblical rod” by the Schatzes.

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:13:42 PM »

I am going to say it. These types of people are not Christians as we, as Orthodox faithful, define that term. I am sick and tired of people co-opting the Lord's name and the Bible to their own brain addled interpretations to justify whatever kind of conduct. They are either unchurched or heretics from our point of view and we, including our clergy and bishops, need to call a spade a spade and constantly work to distance us from such perfidy. The media is all to quick to lump all believers into the same boat and we need to constantly show that is simply not true. Do you ever see a headline: "Atheists beat child to death, claim genetics made them do it."

We can go on and on about the papacy, purgatory, the IC and whatever to what end? While we fiddle people like these parents are out there doing the work of the devil and blaspheming the Lord's name in the process.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »

Memory eternal  Sad.

More grist for the "spanking equals child abuse" crowd too, I guess...
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:33:14 PM »

One of the biggest misconceptions that most folks have is that corporal punishment of children is 'per se' indicative of child abuse. In my state, New York, and in most states, parents have the right to utilize corporal punishment in raising children. The kicker, so to speak, is that corporal punishment must not be 'excessive' - a standard which is surely subjective. However, a rule of thumb is: leave no marks, do not use an 'implement' to punish the child and know when to stop. The cases with court intervention that were not clear cut (like the nuts in the article) over my thirty year career usually involved at least two of the three situations I indicated. Granted there are many right out of college children services case workers with 'zero tolerance' for corporal punishment but the judges usually push those types into the real world after they lose several removal cases and embarrass their supervisors or the DSS Commissioner. Of course, when you guess wrong and the punishment results in serious injury, then the same people hang you out to dry. That's life......
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:17:48 PM »

While there is a fine line between spanking and child abuse, the line between spanking and torture is as thick as they get. Anyone who can be described as torturing their children to death cannot claim to be just disciplining their children, and the bible certainly does not suggest the torture of children is a good or possitive thing.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:23:14 PM »

While there is a fine line between spanking and child abuse, the line between spanking and torture is as thick as they get. Anyone who can be described as torturing their children to death cannot claim to be just disciplining their children, and the bible certainly does not suggest the torture of children is a good or possitive thing.

True.

Lord have mercy.   Sad

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:43:18 PM »

One of the biggest misconceptions that most folks have is that corporal punishment of children is 'per se' indicative of child abuse. In my state, New York, and in most states, parents have the right to utilize corporal punishment in raising children. The kicker, so to speak, is that corporal punishment must not be 'excessive' - a standard which is surely subjective. However, a rule of thumb is: leave no marks, do not use an 'implement' to punish the child and know when to stop. The cases with court intervention that were not clear cut (like the nuts in the article) over my thirty year career usually involved at least two of the three situations I indicated. Granted there are many right out of college children services case workers with 'zero tolerance' for corporal punishment but the judges usually push those types into the real world after they lose several removal cases and embarrass their supervisors or the DSS Commissioner. Of course, when you guess wrong and the punishment results in serious injury, then the same people hang you out to dry. That's life......
Agreed.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »

Sadly, there are these nut-jobs a a dime a dozen down here in the South...not to THIS extreme, but if they did it, I wouldnt be very shocked that they did it.

PP
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:59:19 AM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »

These animals are not Christians and should not be portrayed as such.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »

Not Christians at all. Lord have mercy on Lydia.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »

Their probably Rick Perry supporters :-
 You are placed on worning for seven days for getting off topic. You may PM Father George if you disagree. Second Chance
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:12:18 PM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 05:20:40 PM »

Their probably Rick Perry supporters Undecided
oh snap

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nero

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »

Lord have mercy
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 06:28:28 PM »

Their probably Rick Perry supporters :-
What did their probably Rick Perry supporters :- do?
 You are placed on warning for seven days for getting off topic. Please contact Father George via PM if you disagree. Second Chance
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 07:16:17 PM »

Let's put God on trial.

Wait...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 07:22:49 PM »

and followers of the Pearls brand of child-rearing.

Lord have mercy.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 07:26:03 PM »

and followers of the Pearls brand of child-rearing.

Lord have mercy.

I was only guessing... but it seems I was right:

The couple was apparently heavily influenced by a Christian child-rearing book titled To Train Up a Child by Michael and Debi Pearl of  Tennessee-based No Greater Joy Ministries.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 07:56:19 PM »

Totally uncalled for.

BTW, you meant "they're" not "their."  One is a contraction, the other is a possessive.   Please make a note of it.

Back to the OP, such people are not Christians, regardless of what they may actually "believe."  Lord, have mercy.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 08:00:08 PM »

Is there a possibility of my ever talking you into returning to Orthodoxy?

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 09:19:57 PM »

^Always room in the Orthodox Church for more sinners who wish to become saints. That's why I'm a member...although always starting from the beginning. Smiley

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »

^Always room in the Orthodox Church for more sinners who wish to become saints. That's why I'm a member...although always starting from the beginning. Smiley

Smiley...I was jest pokin' at his politics...somebody else caught his grammar... police

PS: It is very difficult for me to deal with the real issue on the table in this thread.  I want to go screaming out into the darkness...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:23:16 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 09:32:36 PM »

I want to go screaming out into the darkness...

Interestingly, when you are not posting, this is exactly what I imagine you doing with most of your free time. //:=)

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 10:06:43 PM »

+Memory Eternal. +Lord, have mercy.

Any ideology is deadly. When people make Christianity into ideology (and that's exactly what these so-called "fundamentalists" are doing), they turn into murderous monsters.

Love never fails.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 11:06:15 AM »

I want to go screaming out into the darkness...

Interestingly, when you are not posting, this is exactly what I imagine you doing with most of your free time. //:=)

Oh my... Cheesy.  I live in a place with lots of light.

Tags: fundamentalism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: