OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:11:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: spiritual guidance with no spiritual father  (Read 1298 times) Average Rating: 0
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« on: August 17, 2011, 07:39:36 PM »

How does one find spiritual answers in the midst of dilemnas when they have no spiritual father. Our priest, the neighboring priest and godparents are absolutely dumbfounded, and its kinda hard to pass on one's faith to their children when you can't get answers to save your life.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »

For many Orthodox, at least in North America, their parish priest *is* their spiritual father.

I have no idea what sort of dilemma you are in the midst of, but if your parish priest, neighboring priest, and godparents aren't any help, I'm scratching my head here.

I'm assuming you have no monastery within even a day's drive.

I'm at a loss.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:21:04 PM »

Please do not assume that a monastery and a monastic are necessarily the font of all Orthodox wisdom. It seems that many inquirers are searching for that 'super-staretz' who will be the omniscient answerman to all of life's problems. It doesn't necessarily work that way. Work with your priest; if you and he don't 'hit it off' be upfront with him and ask his blessing to suggest a colleague of his to work with you.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »

How does one find spiritual answers in the midst of dilemnas when they have no spiritual father. Our priest, the neighboring priest and godparents are absolutely dumbfounded, and its kinda hard to pass on one's faith to their children when you can't get answers to save your life.

The Holy Spirit, The writings of the Fathers, the Lives of the Saints .  . .

Depends on the issue.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
calligraphqueen
Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:30:18 PM »

For many Orthodox, at least in North America, their parish priest *is* their spiritual father.

I have no idea what sort of dilemma you are in the midst of, but if your parish priest, neighboring priest, and godparents aren't any help, I'm scratching my head here.

I'm assuming you have no monastery within even a day's drive.

I'm at a loss.
Well if all things were peachy our priest would be absolutely wonderful, tender but stern when necessary. Traditional, dedicated.  And no, we have no monastery that I have been able to locate, couldn't get there anyway.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 05:07:56 PM »

erm.. post it on some dodgy website and hope for the best?
 Wink
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »

Please do not assume that a monastery and a monastic are necessarily the font of all Orthodox wisdom. It seems that many inquirers are searching for that 'super-staretz' who will be the omniscient answerman to all of life's problems. It doesn't necessarily work that way. Work with your priest; if you and he don't 'hit it off' be upfront with him and ask his blessing to suggest a colleague of his to work with you.

I agree, but a retreat for even a couple of days can really do wonders to quiet oneself so you are able to listen to the Holy Spirit.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »

I agree, but a retreat for even a couple of days can really do wonders to quiet oneself so you are able to listen to the Holy Spirit.

That was actually my thinking...
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 04:16:31 AM »

(my last post was not serious)
last time i had things on my mind that i couldn't discuss with my priest (would have involved telling him another person's personal details) i found a good friend and told her the problem. she was great, and prayed with me.
 Smiley
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 07:17:01 AM »

erm.. post it on some dodgy website and hope for the best?
 Wink
haha.... spiritualanswers.com
Nero

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 07:28:04 AM »

A desert father once said something like, "If one cannot sufficiently teach himself in manual crafts or physical labors, how then is one supposed to guide himself in the spiritual things, the most difficult of all work?"
Dyhn

Faith: Inquirer ~ actively working towards catechumen

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 04:38:39 PM »

I would take myself off for the day somewhere quiet and away from it all. Sometimes just meditating and being still can bring what we already know, to the front of our minds, when the other ever present noises in life are silent. Even for just a few hours.

~ Dyhn
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 06:42:46 PM »

There was a really good post about this recently:

This is a great article on confession in general:

http://www.stgeorgecathedral.net/article_0101.html

I especially like this ditty:

For most of us living in the world, it is entirely unnecessary [Having a spiritual father]. In fact, the desire for a “spiritual father” may be an indication of “prelest,” (spiritual lust) - that a person imagines himself to be far more “spiritual” than he actually is.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 10:05:32 AM »

That was actually my thinking...

I agree. We have an OCA monastery of nuns near us in Otego, NY. They are wonderful and truly appreciate visitors(call in advance though!), especially if you can help them out with work on the farm and their sheep!
calligraphqueen
Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 10:35:40 AM »

The closest monastery I can find is Troy NC, I am in the middle of VA. Its a Russian women's monastery and their link is flaking out on me, so I can't find much info at all. I couldn't justify taking our gas budget for dh's work commute to travel to NC, though I can't tell you how wonderful just a few hours of peace and quiet sounds.  I did see Frederica mention a new monastery in the DC area, but I don't have any info on that and its still 3 hours away or so. DC doesn't sound very peaceful anyway.  Wink
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 10:56:58 AM »

The closest monastery I can find is Troy NC, I am in the middle of VA.

Huh

Panagia Pammakaristos Monastery is in Lawsonville, NC about 90 miles from Lynchburg, VA.

GOA link

Try this link for Panagia Prousiotissa; I have never had an issue with it. BTW...it is a Greek Monastery, not Russian.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 08:13:55 PM »

I did see Frederica mention a new monastery in the DC area, but I don't have any info on that and its still 3 hours away or so. DC doesn't sound very peaceful anyway.  Wink

The new DC monastery Frederica probably mentioned was the OCA one (next to St. Nicholas Cathedral) that had some Greek nuns, but that's not going to work out (long story).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: