OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:21:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need info on the "Zoghby Initiative" for a debate - thanks!  (Read 480 times) Average Rating: 0
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« on: August 16, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »

Hey everyone! I'm debating a poster over at CAF who claims to be "Orthodox in Communion with Rome" and says he supports the Zoghby Initiative.

To be honest, although I've Googled it and understand the basics of it, I'm not 100% sure about two things:

1) Is it still on the table? 

2) Is it something any of the Orthodox are seriously considering?

Thanks!

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:38:14 PM »

Hey everyone! I'm debating a poster over at CAF who claims to be "Orthodox in Communion with Rome" and says he supports the Zoghby Initiative.

To be honest, although I've Googled it and understand the basics of it, I'm not 100% sure about two things:

1) Is it still on the table? 

2) Is it something any of the Orthodox are seriously considering?

Thanks!
I recall hearing that both Rome and the Orthodox don't subscribe to it. I personally think it's deluded relativistic wishful thinking (though I'm sure it's well-intentioned).

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:55:47 PM »

I can't find it now sorry.  But i think it was even on Widipedia.
Both the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church rejected it so I don't see how it can be used for the basis of any discussion.
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoghby_Initiative

His two points "confession of faith" seem reasonable to me:

1. I believe everything which Eastern Orthodoxy teaches.
2. I am in communion with the Bishop of Rome as the first among the bishops, according to the limits recognized by the Holy Fathers of the East during the first millennium, before the separation.

Only that you can't be in communion with someone who doesn't want to be in communion with you. He acknowledges that what was understood as the role, fundaments and prerrogatives of the primate in 1st millenium are different from what what Rome thinks they were, but the Catapapic faith  holds the Roman see hostage today like so many heterodox faiths took hold of Eastern Patriarchates in the past. Catapapic faith was even inflated in its self-perception by the secular success and expansion of the lands under its wings. For this proposal to work, Rome would have to admit that what it believes today about the primate is not the same Rome itself believed in the 1st millenium.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:45:40 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »

For this proposal to work, Rome would have to admit that what it believes today about the primate is not the same Rome itself believed in the 1st millenium.
No problem. "Development of doctrine" covers a multitude.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »

Only that you can't be in communion with someone who doesn't want to be in communion with you.

That's an excellent line! May I borrow it?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »

Theistgal,

To answer your OP ( from memory since I'm on my ipad and can't multitask so well and bring up references)

1. the "Initiative" - the confession posted by Fabio, a proposal for immediate intercommunion, and IIRC a statement that upon full reunion the Melkite hierarchy would resign in favor of the Antichian hierarchy - was officially adopted at the Synod of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church and as far as I know remains the Synod's policy.  Patriarch Gregorios and Archbishop Nicholas Samra (soon to be Archbishop of Newton in the US) are among its current vocal proponents.  I also believe Metropolitan Cyril of Beirut, formerly Archbishop of Newton, was also among its drafters.

2. Rome responded by saying intercommunion was premature.  The Antiochian Patriarchate said essentially the same thing.  Some ecumenically minded Orthodox are sympathetic but still say the same thing.  And I really can't argue against that, even if I agree with the "confession".

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:54:26 PM »

Theistgal,

To answer your OP ( from memory since I'm on my ipad and can't multitask so well and bring up references)

1. the "Initiative" - the confession posted by Fabio, a proposal for immediate intercommunion, and IIRC a statement that upon full reunion the Melkite hierarchy would resign in favor of the Antichian hierarchy - was officially adopted at the Synod of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church and as far as I know remains the Synod's policy.  Patriarch Gregorios and Archbishop Nicholas Samra (soon to be Archbishop of Newton in the US) are among its current vocal proponents.  I also believe Metropolitan Cyril of Beirut, formerly Archbishop of Newton, was also among its drafters.

2. Rome responded by saying intercommunion was premature.  The Antiochian Patriarchate said essentially the same thing.  Some ecumenically minded Orthodox are sympathetic but still say the same thing.  And I really can't argue against that, even if I agree with the "confession".

I don't think it is the policy of the melkite Church.

"So far, neither the Catholic Church nor the Orthodox East has accepted the Zoghby initiative. Speaking for the Catholic Church, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI) commented that "premature, unilateral initiatives are to be avoided, where the eventual results may not have been sufficiently considered."[13] The Antiochian Orthodox Church was circumspect toward his initiative, declaring in October 1996 that "our Synod believes that inter-communion cannot be separated from the unity of faith. Moreover, inter-communion is the last step in the quest for unity and not the first."[14]"

And the Orthodox Church HAS NEVER endorsed it.

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 06:32:48 PM »

Here is what I just posted to the "Orthodox in Communion with Rome" poster - did I do good?  Grin

Are you suggesting that we just give up our own traditions and spirituality for Latin tradition and Spirituality? Maybe just keep the funny mass, as to have a little semblance of being Byzantine?

No, I'm suggesting that being fully Orthodox precludes being "in communion with Rome", at least at the present time. And if you spend any time on Orthodox fora, you'd learn that fairly quickly.  Wink

Call our church "orthodox lite" if you must, but I have no illusions that is Orthodox in the sense that the Orthodox themselves define it.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: