OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 08:13:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic prayers before and after communion?  (Read 1947 times) Average Rating: 0
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« on: August 16, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »

What are the prayers before and after communion in the Coptic Orthodox Church? I know that, in the EOC, there are several before and after communion. Any help would be appreciated. Smiley

Salaam leekum!
zekarja

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:06:25 AM »

What are the prayers before and after communion in the Coptic Orthodox Church? I know that, in the EOC, there are several before and after communion. Any help would be appreciated. Smiley

Salaam leekum!
zekarja
O Lord, I am not worthy that Thou should come under the roof of my house, for I am sinful, but say Thou first a word and my soul shall be healed. Say unto my soul: "Your sins are forgiven." I am barren and wanting all righteousness, and have but Thy compassion, mercy and Love-of-Man. And Thou hast condescended from the heaven of Thine ineffable glory to our afflictions and accepted to be born in a manger.

Reject not, O my blessed Saviour to come into my lowly and afflicted soul that awaits Thy radiant presence. But accept to come into my soul to cleanse it.

O Thou who disdained not to enter into the leper's house and to heal him, forbid me not to approach Thy pure Body and Thy Holy Blood, O Thou who prevented not the woman, who was a sinner, from kissing they feet.

Let my communion be for partaking with Thee and for effacing all defilement, the mortification of my lusts, the doing of Thy Life-giving commandments, the healing of my soul and body from all sins, the acceptance of Thy gifts, the endwelling of Thy grace, the descent of Thy spirit for union with and abiding in Thee, that I may live for the glory of Thy Holy Name. Amen.

O Lord, I am not worthy that Thou should come under the roof of my house, for I am sinful, but say Thou first a word and my soul shall be healed. Say unto my soul: "Your sins are forgiven." I am barren and wanting all righteousness, and have but Thy compassion, mercy and Love-of-Man. And Thou hast condescended from the heaven of Thine ineffable glory to our afflictions and accepted to be born in a manger, Reject not, O my blessed Saviour to come into my lowly and afflicted soul that awaits Thy radiant presence. But accept to come into my soul to cleanse it. O Thou who disdained not to enter into the leper's house and to heal him, forbid me not to approach Thy pure Body and Thy Holy Blood, O Thou who prevented not the woman, who was a sinner, from kissing they feet. Let my communion be for partaking with Thee and for effacing all defilement, the mortification of my lusts, the doing of Thy Life-giving commandments, the healing of my soul and body from all sins, the acceptance of Thy gifts, the endwelling of Thy grace, the descent of Thy spirit for union with and abiding in Thee, that I may live for the glory of Thy Holy Name. Amen.
O God, how great is the gift that you saved for your fearers. How sweet is your grace to those who love you.

I thank you my Lord for looking after me, You granted me this holy food that doesn’t perish, by which you opened to us the way to eternal life.

Kindle the flames of your love in me, save the blessing of Your grace in my heart not for judgment or to fall into judging but to receive glory, purity of soul and body and to live with you, survive for you and continue with your grace. So guide me to your holiness and fill me with your grace and consecrate me with your soul. Glory to You, the Father and the Holy Spirit now and until eternity, Amen.

My heart has been filled with joy and my tongue with rejoicing. Let my spirit glorify the Lord, and my soul rejoice in God my Saviour. I have drawn nigh to Thee, O Lord, to clothe me with a radiant garment and make me worthy to enter into Thy wedding. Let my union with Thee today be forever, for through it I increase and grow firm in virtue, wax strong in faith, and strengthen my hope. Let it become a sign of salvation, a raiment of grace, a garment of the new birth, a purity and righteousness of body and soul, a cleansing of love, an eternal happiness and joy, a good answer before Thy dreadful tribune. I commit myself to Thy compassion to make me one with Thee and under Thy will. I call forth my mind and my senses to Thee. My will do Thou bless to obey Thy will. Enliven my heart and awaken my conscience. Disperse the fantasies of the adversaries. Still the tempest. Walk with me and calm my terror. Quench my thirst, kindle the flame of Thy love in my heart. Abide with me for the day is far spent, and accompany me until daybreak. For Thou are my goal and my happiness. Thou alone, O Lord, forever. Amen.
http://st-takla.org/Prayers-Slawat/Pray-Archive-01-10/Coptic-Prayer-04-Before-Communion-01.html
http://st-takla.org/Prayers-Slawat/Pray-Archive-01-10/Coptic-Prayer-07-After-Communion-02.html
http://www.coptichymns.net/PagEd-index-topic_id-2-page_id-1206.html

I seem to remember others.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:09:04 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:07:11 AM »

Thanks! Smiley

Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:47:23 PM »

These are the ones in the agpeya at my church:

A PRAYER BEFORE COMMUNION
(Of St. John Chrysostom)
I believe, O Lord, and I confess that Thou art truly Christ, the Son of the Living God, Who came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.  And I believe that this is truly Thine own immaculate Body and that this is truly Thine own precious Blood.  Wherefore I pray Thee, have mercy upon me and forgive my transgressions both voluntary and involuntary, of word and of deed, of knowledge and of ignorance; and make me worthy to partake without condemnation of Thine immaculate Mysteries, unto remission of my sins and unto life everlasting.  Amen.

A PRAYER AFTER COMMUNION
(Of Saint Basil the Great)

O Lord, Christ our God, King of the ages, and Creator of all, I thank Thee for all the good things which Thou hast bestowed upon me, and for this communion of Thine immaculate and life-giving Mysteries.  Therefore I entreat Thee, O Good One Who lovest mankind: keep me in Thy tabernacle and under the shadow of Thy wings; and grant that, with a pure conscience, even unto my last breath, I may worthily partake of Thine holy Things, unto the remission of my sins and unto life eternal.  For Thou art the Bread of Life, the Fountain of all holiness, the Giver of good things; and unto Thee we ascribe glory, O Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the age of ages.  Amen.

zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:49:17 PM »

These are the ones in the agpeya at my church:

A PRAYER BEFORE COMMUNION
(Of St. John Chrysostom)
I believe, O Lord, and I confess that Thou art truly Christ, the Son of the Living God, Who came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.  And I believe that this is truly Thine own immaculate Body and that this is truly Thine own precious Blood.  Wherefore I pray Thee, have mercy upon me and forgive my transgressions both voluntary and involuntary, of word and of deed, of knowledge and of ignorance; and make me worthy to partake without condemnation of Thine immaculate Mysteries, unto remission of my sins and unto life everlasting.  Amen.

A PRAYER AFTER COMMUNION
(Of Saint Basil the Great)

O Lord, Christ our God, King of the ages, and Creator of all, I thank Thee for all the good things which Thou hast bestowed upon me, and for this communion of Thine immaculate and life-giving Mysteries.  Therefore I entreat Thee, O Good One Who lovest mankind: keep me in Thy tabernacle and under the shadow of Thy wings; and grant that, with a pure conscience, even unto my last breath, I may worthily partake of Thine holy Things, unto the remission of my sins and unto life eternal.  For Thou art the Bread of Life, the Fountain of all holiness, the Giver of good things; and unto Thee we ascribe glory, O Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the age of ages.  Amen.

Thanks! Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: