OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 07:25:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Explain the differences between different Eastern Orthodox churches?  (Read 1940 times) Average Rating: 0
Slotte
I don't post anymore. Atheist, not one word about any lifeview whatsoever.

Will still be living in Southern Finland.

« on: June 27, 2004, 03:34:40 PM »

Please, briefly explain for me some differences between russian-, greek-, romanian, and so on, Eastern Orthodox churches.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 05:10:33 PM »

Right off the top of my head, respective language is of course an issue, along with different styles of chant (Byzantine, Russian, etc.)

As a convert, though, I'm probably missing some things that cradle Orthodox have noticed when visiting other churches.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 05:37:26 PM »

Same difference as there is between an Irish Roman Catholic Church and an Italian Roman Catholics Church...LANGUAGE AND TRADITIONS!

Orthodoc
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 05:38:57 PM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Slotte

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 11:52:00 PM »

Are there typical differences in the sermons?
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 12:06:52 AM »

That really seems to be a parish-to-parish deal, as it just varies based on the preaching style of each individual priest.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Slotte

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 04:54:21 PM »

Are there any known differences in the moral theology?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 05:09:12 PM »

Yes, some tend to be less conservative, some more conservative. Most ROCOR (Russian, though in most cases living in America and born and raised American) priests, for example, are generally against using contraception, though will allow NFP sometimes. Most Greek (GOA) new calendarist priests, on the other hand, don't even want to deal with the issue and leave it up to the parishioners theselves. And then, some Greek old calendarist priests would not only not allow contraception, but would possibly also give you a very severe penance for using it (whereas the ROCOR priest, for example, while against it, would probably not give you a penance of any great magnitude).

There are lots of other differences that divide Orthodoxy, unfortunately. I hate to be the stick in the mud and say so, but it's better to know that going in, than to grapple with it as you are living your Orthodox life. Better to know about things right off and go the right direction, than to become Orthodox and end up hopping through several jurisdictions before you settle! Wink

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 08:03:00 PM »

Slotte, it is nice to have you join in the discussions.  I noted your signature states that "I am Lutheran and Finnish Orthodox."  How is this possible?

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
Slotte

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 07:43:25 AM »

ambrosemzv I noted your signature states that "I am Lutheran and Finnish Orthodox."  How is this possible?
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's possible for me to state it like that. I'm not a member of the Finnish-Orthodox church yet, I live in both Sweden & Finland, my official address is in Arboga, Sweden. There are several EO-churches in Sweden, but no Swedish-Orthodox church, and actually no EO church whatsoever anywhere nearby Arboga. I will be studying Orthodoxy and attending the Orthodox services in Oulu every week always when I am in Oulu (not the Eucharist, of course), and I will move my address to Oulu aproximately after 2 years from now, and not until then I will have the possibility to join the Orthodox church.
ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 11:36:25 PM »

Wow, you're way up there!  I once visited my brother in Sandviken, which is due west of G+ñvle, when he was an exchange student (I was living and studying in Strasbourg, at the time).  Is Arboga even futher north than G+ñvle?

PS:  I grew up in Juneau, Alaska, which is at the same lattitude as Stockholm, and which was one of the first places in North America to be evangelized by Russian Orthodox missionaries.  I miss the cool, wet climate of my youth!  (I live in Texas, now.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 11:38:46 PM by ambrosemzv » Logged

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
Slotte

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 01:44:02 AM »

Is Arboga even futher north than G+ñvle?
No, it's something like 70 miles more south than G+ñvle. But Oulu, where I'm also living, is way up, actually northern Finland!

Hey,
if somebody knowes anything more about differences in Moral Theology between the different Orthodox churches, I'd be glad to hear!
Slotte

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 01:52:55 AM »

ambrosemzv I once visited my brother in Sandviken
That's 156 miles (251 km) from Arboga by train.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 02:20:53 AM »

Same difference as there is between an Irish Roman Catholic Church and an Italian Roman Catholics Church...LANGUAGE AND TRADITIONS!

Orthodoc

Well I don't think that is accurate.

It has only been less than 40 years since Latin rite Catholic churches in every nation stopped use the same liturgical language. And honestly there is very little difference in tradition between the Irish chruches and the Italian churches - perhaps you could list some. And you would never see the Irish Church break communion with the Italian Church - while it is not uncomon for different Orthodox jurisdictions and National Churches to break communion with each other.

Orthodoxy is much different.

The different national Churches are totally independent from each other, and though they share the same faith and are usually in liturgical communion with each other, they are self governed, use different languages, have different styles of chant, some different liturgical traditions, and different local Saints.

While Roman Catholicism has been very united over the centuries, under one faith, one authority, one litrugy, one language, one calendar of saints, etc. Only in the last 40 years have we seen the Roman Catholic Church so divided, by language, and even local traditions - that have been introduced with the various post-Vatican II liturgical reforms, often without the permission of the Vatican.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 03:08:30 AM »

I live in both Sweden & Finland, my official address is in Arboga, Sweden.
Hi Slotte,

I'm quarter Swedish myself through my maternal grandfather, though apart from my genetic makeup I don't have any other connection to Sweden Smiley

John.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: