Author Topic: Where To Buy Prayer Ropes?  (Read 7528 times)

Offline Stephanos Nikolaos

• Hosanna in the highest!
Where To Buy Prayer Ropes?
« on: August 14, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »
I was wondering where do most Orthodox Christians get their prayer ropes?

In Christian Love,
Nicholas.
“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29

Offline Kasatkin fan

• High Elder
Re: Where To Buy Prayer Ropes?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 02:53:28 PM »
Both of the Parishes I've been a member of have sold them. Failing that, you can buy them online.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:21:26 PM »
I get mine from Poppy*, perhaps you could PM her?  Otherwise there is always Eastern Christian Supply Company.

* If you want to get picky, that's not true.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »
If you have a Facebook account check on Monk Seraphim.  He's in Lebanon and he makes them "specifically" for you.  He has a variety to choose from and he will make just for you, saying prayers in your honor while making it.  Plus, he has access to a number of relics which he lays them on.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001561294786

He is attempting to build an Orthodox church and the proceeds from his prayer ropes are going towards that purpose.

I purchased one from him - in olive green color.  It' only takes a couple of weeks to get it.

It's beautiful!

Here's the one I got:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=173277852734257&set=a.129996460395730.24459.100001561294786&type=1&theater

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:12:54 PM by LizaSymonenko »
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:51:22 AM »
If you have a Facebook account check on Monk Seraphim.  He's in Lebanon and he makes them "specifically" for you.  He has a variety to choose from and he will make just for you, saying prayers in your honor while making it.  Plus, he has access to a number of relics which he lays them on.

He is attempting to build an Orthodox church and the proceeds from his prayer ropes are going towards that purpose.

I purchased one from him - in olive green color.  It' only takes a couple of weeks to get it.

It's beautiful!

Here's the one I got:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=173277852734257&set=a.129996460395730.24459.100001561294786&type=1&theater

Indeed it is beautiful as well as just the whole story. =)

Thank you everyone who responded.

In Christ,
Nicholas.
“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 01:01:42 AM »
my first question is how many are you thinking of getting?

most OC's get theirs from their local parish OR monastery.  the monasteries always have them in supply. 

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
  • Faith: Muslim
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 02:03:07 AM »
I get mine from Poppy*, perhaps you could PM her?  Otherwise there is always Eastern Christian Supply Company.

* If you want to get picky, that's not true.

yep i have sold two so far but i cant make no more now because i am off on the 23 aug and i got way to much else to do

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 11:04:15 PM »
I'm kind of confused about Poppy making prayer ropes (moreso surprised at Orthodox Christians using them) since as far as I knew, the person who ties the prayer ropes are suppose to be faithful Orthodox Christians.

most OC's get theirs from their local parish OR monastery.  the monasteries always have them in supply. 

I just need one prayer rope at the time being.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:20:11 PM »

It's beautiful!

He does make very nice prayer ropes.

Did he go back to Lebanon? 

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:28:55 PM »

It's beautiful!

Hi Liza I am at work currently and don't have access to Facebook, how much is he asking for?
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:50:19 PM »
I'm kind of confused about Poppy making prayer ropes (moreso surprised at Orthodox Christians using them) since as far as I knew, the person who ties the prayer ropes are suppose to be faithful Orthodox Christians.

I just need one prayer rope at the time being.

Next few questions:

is there a local orthodox church by you?  That's where I would start

next:  if there's no OC church next to you I can recommend a local monastery based on your location (which you would need to get me) You can PM me if it's easier. 

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 11:53:43 PM »

oh don't be such a nolly just get it blessed if your worried ugh  ::)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 12:50:21 AM »
Buy some beads and make one yourself. It's a lot cheaper and can be done in 10 minutes. The knots are not magical, and wooden chotkis are not unheard of, nor are they a violation of some canon or make you a Papist or some such nonsense.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline searn77

• St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 01:22:00 AM »
I've gotten a few from St. Paisius monastery and they were all done extremely well. The nuns are very nice (as we have exchanged quite a few emails in the past) and even sent me a card with a prayer rope and some cds and a booklet for free when I was very sick and asked for their prayers. They also sell the little counter things (i forget what they're called) that hang on your prayer rope so you can keep track how many times you've went around on your prayer rope, if you have a certain prayer rule or something that calls for it.
http://stpaisiusmonastery.org/ropes4.htm
Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 05:18:25 AM »
OH i have a spare pink one i don't need Stephanos, with sparkly beads and a real fluffy tassel??  :o

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 04:44:40 PM »

oh don't be such a nolly just get it blessed if your worried ugh  ::)

Hehe, sorry for being a "nolly" Poppy, but I am a very conservative, non-minimal person when it comes to religion. I mean you are talking to a Protestant who before deciding to convert to Orthodoxy believed that most Protestant Churches were heterodox and believed that a few of the mainstream Protestant Churches were straightout heretical. =)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:56:41 PM by Stephanos Nikolaos »

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 06:02:15 PM »
Hehe, sorry for being a "nolly" Poppy, but I am a very conservative, non-minimal person when it comes to religion. I mean you are talking to a Protestant who before accepting Orthodoxy believed that most Protestant Churches were heterodox and believed that a few of the mainstream Protestant Churches were straightout heretical. =)

Fixed to avoid any confusion.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 06:06:04 PM »

It's beautiful!

He does make very nice prayer ropes.

Did he go back to Lebanon? 

I do believe he is in Lebanon. 

That's where I sent the money, and where the package came from.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »

It's beautiful!

Hi Liza I am at work currently and don't have access to Facebook, how much is he asking for?

I think the prices vary depending on what you pick.  I am certain the shorter (wrist) styles (~33 knots) are much cheaper than the longer ones.

—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »
On second take, you could do what I did and go to a local Catholic store and buy a rosary for $5.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »

If you don't have access to a local church or monastery that sells them, there are plenty of online sources:

http://stpaisiusmonastery.org/ropes.htm  ~ $11 for a 33-knot

http://www.chotki.com/Orthodox-Prayer-Ropes/33-knots-cross.shtml - $12 for a 33-knot

http://www.archangelsbooks.com/products.asp?cat=Black+Wool+Prayer+Ropes - $12 for a 33-knot

—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Margaret S.

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 03:47:42 PM »
Holy Myrrhbearers' Monastery in NY sells them http://www.holymyrrhbearers.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=31. The wool comes from their own sheep and is cleaned and spun with vegetable oils and soaps, no harsh chemicals and the nun who makes them is one of the dearest, most devout people I have ever come across.

Best wishes,
Margaret