OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 05:30:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Right to Life' organization says it will leave Coptic Church over divorce  (Read 583 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:15:31 PM »

A group of Coptic Orthodox in Egypt calling themselves the "Right to Life Movement" have said they will leave the church in a dispute with the leadership. The Coptic Orthodox Church opposes divorce and remarriage except in cases of adultery. The Right to Life Movement wants further changes to the regulations regarding divorce.

From the article:
A senior bishop, who asked not to be named, downplayed the decision, saying the number of those who intend to leave can be counted on two hands and the idea of mass resignation is strange and illogical.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:16:13 PM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:47:58 AM »

A group of Coptic Orthodox in Egypt calling themselves the "Right to Life Movement" have said they will leave the church in a dispute with the leadership. The Coptic Orthodox Church opposes divorce and remarriage except in cases of adultery. The Right to Life Movement wants further changes to the regulations regarding divorce.

From the article:
A senior bishop, who asked not to be named, downplayed the decision, saying the number of those who intend to leave can be counted on two hands and the idea of mass resignation is strange and illogical.

If they can verify the name of the bishop, I'd criticize him and question his pastoral Christianity.  However because he is "unnamed" I have my suspicions that the article is making it worse than it should be.  True, this may be distressing to some, but to split from the Church over this is ridiculous.  Sounds like a bunch of Protestants.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:47:04 AM »

If they can verify the name of the bishop, I'd criticize him and question his pastoral Christianity. 

I would be careful Mina.  no one knows what pastoral christianity is until they've lived it at the same level as the person they are questioning.  You can ask, yes, but question the person directly?  only if you are trying to understand, not admonish.  admonishment must come from a place of assurance, not reaction (if at all)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 02:10:29 AM »

I don't get it. How is decreased strictness vis-a-vis divorce a "right to life" issue? Is this "Right to Life" group petitioning for one's right to life without the attachments of a no-longer-wanted marriage? Huh
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 06:55:12 AM »

If they can verify the name of the bishop, I'd criticize him and question his pastoral Christianity.  However because he is "unnamed" I have my suspicions that the article is making it worse than it should be.  True, this may be distressing to some, but to split from the Church over this is ridiculous.  Sounds like a bunch of Protestants.

Wait, so you're saying his "pastoral Christianity" is suspect, but then you essentially repeat his arguments that (a) this is being overblown in importance and number by the reports, and (b) that leaving the Church over this is illogical ("... to split from the Church over this is ridiculous" and "Sounds like a bunch of Protestants" and "the article is making it worse than it should be").  That makes sense.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 10:35:50 PM »

The reason I say this is because it doesn't sound like what a Coptic bishop would say.  When Max Michel left and became his own patriarch, we didn't say, "It's just one person who left the Church."  HH Pope Shenouda wrote an article asking Max Michel as a father to a son to come back to the Church that nursed him.

This isn't a pastoral response.  It's about knowing how to respond to the media.  Saying that these people are few, and they can leave the church sounds a lot like contradicting the idea that Christ would even give up His life for the one sheep that went astray.  And this would be something Protestants would like to use as ammo against the Orthodox Church.  "See" they'd say, "the Orthodox Church doesn't care about its people.  Come to the real Christ-loving Church."

That's why I suspect a bunch of Protestants are trying to give a bad name to the Church by sourcing some "unnamed" bishop.  It's quite odd that our bishops would fear to give their names when they make a statement.

I would expect a named bishop would say, "We will be very sad if these people left our Church.  At the same, our hands our tied because we do not want to stray from the Orthodox faith."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:36:56 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 11:00:56 PM »

Ahh, I see your point.  Please forgive me if I was snarky with you.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church divorce 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: