Author Topic: Just got back from attending my first (and possibly last) mass...  (Read 35993 times)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Re: Just got back from attending my first (and possibly last) mass...
« Reply #450 on: August 25, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »
They reinterpret them to suit their own invented dogmas, like their sibling the Vatican.

You just can't help yourself, can you? It seems that you have retained the anti-Catholicims of your Lutheran days.
No, just stating the Truth:as you look at the Lutherans, we look at you. Sort of like the same problem with the Anglicans: they are upset that the Vatican doesn't accept their orders, but then the Vatican gets insulted when the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church don't worry ourselves over your orders.

The Lutherans have their own take on everything, including the filioque (odd for Protestants. Most just kept it without thinking).  Apostolic succession is, as far as I can see, one of the few exceptions, but that's only because only the Swedes and Finns have consistently claimed what is recognizable as apostolic succession (other groups claim it less consistently), and I've never seen their explanation about it, so I can't tell if they "the ceremony and gestures of Catholicism but not the meaning behind them": Martin Luther himself said nothing about abolishing the episcopate, and the Augsburg Confession and Book of Concord follow him in insisting a minster has to be "called."  So because the meaning they give to those cermonies and gestures differs from the Vatican's does not mean that they are void of meaning, or that we should prefer the Vatican's over Luther's, being comparable in many ways (e.g. filioque).
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline celticfan1888

• Production Operator - Chemtrusion
  • Archon
« Reply #451 on: August 25, 2011, 04:13:01 PM »
They reinterpret them to suit their own invented dogmas, like their sibling the Vatican.

You just can't help yourself, can you? It seems that you have retained the anti-Catholicims of your Lutheran days.

He's just stating, what we see, as a pretty valid opinion.
Forgive my sins.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #452 on: August 26, 2011, 02:51:17 PM »
The latest brouhaha featuring all the usual suspects has been split off and merged into this thread: Ialmisry's & Elijahmaria's Infantile and Spiritually Unprofitable Bickering
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:54:25 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #453 on: December 28, 2015, 05:09:22 PM »
The latest Clown Mass on Christmas Day: Priest uses "hover board" to celebrate Mass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tgIjJ2exZM
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: the one people like to criticize
« Reply #454 on: December 28, 2015, 05:16:26 PM »
The latest Clown Mass on Christmas Day: Priest uses "hover board" to celebrate Mass.

To quote one of the comments on the video, "Actually, it's not during the mass. It's AFTER the mass. It's just a special number for the parishoners because it's Christmas Eve that time. I'm just beside the one who took the video, that's why I know. ^^"

Offline seekeroftruth777

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #455 on: December 28, 2015, 05:22:28 PM »

But Catholics will say there never was a clown mass, I  wonder what they will say to this umm carnival going on. Between the modern Catholic Church, Certain Lutherans like ELCA, and the Episcopal Church it seems like a race to the bottom, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 05:23:39 PM by seekeroftruth777 »

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #456 on: December 28, 2015, 05:29:15 PM »

To quote one of the comments on the video, "Actually, it's not during the mass. It's AFTER the mass. It's just a special number for the parishoners because it's Christmas Eve that time. I'm just beside the one who took the video, that's why I know. ^^"

However, this incident occurred in the church where the "Eucharistic" celebration just took place. The priest should be showing some respect to Christ, setting a good example, and not be displaying his latest toy. Whatever ever happened to the time of thanksgiving after communion?
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #457 on: December 29, 2015, 10:57:33 AM »
On the other hand, we watched the Midnight Mass from St. Peter's on Christmas Eve on NBC. It was solemn and frankly, impressive.  Which is the real Catholic Church? its a big institution...

As a side note, the priest from Chicago who narrated for the network was outstanding as he explained the service.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #458 on: December 29, 2015, 06:35:42 PM »

However, this incident occurred in the church where the "Eucharistic" celebration just took place. The priest should be showing some respect to Christ, setting a good example, and not be displaying his latest toy. Whatever ever happened to the time of thanksgiving after communion?

UPDATE: The priest got busted.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Roman-Catholic-Diocese-of-San-Pablo-364821753579898/?fref=nf

Offline sedevacantist

• Elder
« Reply #459 on: January 02, 2016, 10:37:56 PM »
On the other hand, we watched the Midnight Mass from St. Peter's on Christmas Eve on NBC. It was solemn and frankly, impressive.  Which is the real Catholic Church? its a big institution...

As a side note, the priest from Chicago who narrated for the network was outstanding as he explained the service.
you watched a protestant service, if you want to see a catholic mass you would have to attend a traditional latin mass, sspx or cmri although I have my issues with them also

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #460 on: January 15, 2016, 05:36:25 PM »

you watched a protestant service, if you want to see a catholic mass you would have to attend a traditional latin mass, sspx or cmri although I have my issues with them also
well, I guess Rome has spoken.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #461 on: January 15, 2016, 05:46:10 PM »

well, I guess Rome has spoken.

Many years, master!
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline Mountain

• Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church
« Reply #462 on: February 06, 2016, 05:09:11 PM »
Well, saint Photius the great did tell them what will happen to their Church if they don't keep Holy Tradition.
The face i make when Mor Ephrem sets me up. http://www.novinar.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/patrijarh.jpg

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #463 on: February 06, 2016, 05:24:02 PM »
Well, saint Photius the great did tell them what will happen to their Church if they don't keep Holy Tradition.

How timely.  Already a new calendarist?
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline Mountain

• Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church
« Reply #464 on: February 06, 2016, 05:30:36 PM »

Don't you worry, if we don't fix calendar issue, we will end up as Roman-Catholics.
The face i make when Mor Ephrem sets me up. http://www.novinar.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/patrijarh.jpg

Offline ialmisry

• Strategos
« Reply #465 on: February 06, 2016, 06:35:48 PM »

Don't you worry, if we don't fix calendar issue, we will end up as Roman-Catholics.
who is "we"?