OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 07:37:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got back from attending my first (and possibly last) mass...  (Read 16509 times) Average Rating: 1
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #450 on: August 25, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »

They reinterpret them to suit their own invented dogmas, like their sibling the Vatican.

You just can't help yourself, can you? It seems that you have retained the anti-Catholicims of your Lutheran days.
No, just stating the Truth:as you look at the Lutherans, we look at you. Sort of like the same problem with the Anglicans: they are upset that the Vatican doesn't accept their orders, but then the Vatican gets insulted when the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church don't worry ourselves over your orders.

The Lutherans have their own take on everything, including the filioque (odd for Protestants. Most just kept it without thinking).  Apostolic succession is, as far as I can see, one of the few exceptions, but that's only because only the Swedes and Finns have consistently claimed what is recognizable as apostolic succession (other groups claim it less consistently), and I've never seen their explanation about it, so I can't tell if they "the ceremony and gestures of Catholicism but not the meaning behind them": Martin Luther himself said nothing about abolishing the episcopate, and the Augsburg Confession and Book of Concord follow him in insisting a minster has to be "called."  So because the meaning they give to those cermonies and gestures differs from the Vatican's does not mean that they are void of meaning, or that we should prefer the Vatican's over Luther's, being comparable in many ways (e.g. filioque).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #451 on: August 25, 2011, 04:13:01 PM »

They reinterpret them to suit their own invented dogmas, like their sibling the Vatican.

You just can't help yourself, can you? It seems that you have retained the anti-Catholicims of your Lutheran days.

He's just stating, what we see, as a pretty valid opinion.

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #452 on: August 26, 2011, 02:51:17 PM »

The latest brouhaha featuring all the usual suspects has been split off and merged into this thread: Ialmisry's & Elijahmaria's Infantile and Spiritually Unprofitable Bickering
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:54:25 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: