Author Topic: Ash Wednesday?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Ash Wednesday?
« on: February 10, 2016, 08:26:44 PM »
I guess it's Ash Wednesday today?  I noticed people with their ash crosses. That's crazy. Is this the maximum distance between our Easter dates?
“Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, Who is Christ the Lord."

"And The Word became flesh and tabernacled among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth"

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Ash Wednesday?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 08:30:02 PM »
Is this the maximum distance between our Easter dates?

Pretty much.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline christiane777

• Elder
  • his angels spirits, his ministers a flaming fire
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 08:34:35 PM »
I guess it's Ash Wednesday today?  I noticed people with their ash crosses. That's crazy. Is this the maximum distance between our Easter dates?

Yep, getting mine tonight.  Though it is always just a charcoal colored smudge by the time I remember to check it out in the mirror.  I was supposed to fast, but have not done that.   ::) 

I actually like Lent for some bizarre reason.  A time to really think about, live your faith.
“The mind serves best when it's anchored in the Word of God. There is no danger then of becoming an intellectual without integrity...”

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:41:19 PM »

Yep, getting mine tonight.  Though it is always just a charcoal colored smudge by the time I remember to check it out in the mirror.  I was supposed to fast, but have not done that.   ::) 

I actually like Lent for some bizarre reason.  A time to really think about, live your faith.

Hopefully you at least celebrated Mardi Gras. 

When I went to Catholic School I remember always making fun of my friends with Ash smudges.  Usually, in my sophistication, I played off the word ash in inappropriate ways if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately I don't think I got made fun of for for anything specifically Orthodox.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:45:41 PM by William T »
“Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, Who is Christ the Lord."

"And The Word became flesh and tabernacled among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth"

Offline christiane777

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:47:49 PM »

When I went to Catholic School I remember always making fun of my friends with Ash smudges.  Usually, in my sophistication, I played off the word ash in inappropriate ways.

I did celebrate Mardi Gras I guess - I had macaroni and cheese last night (my favorite dinner).  Does that count?

I have bangs - no one ever sees my smudge - but I know it is there and that is all that matters!   :)

“The mind serves best when it's anchored in the Word of God. There is no danger then of becoming an intellectual without integrity...”

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »

When I went to Catholic School I remember always making fun of my friends with Ash smudges.  Usually, in my sophistication, I played off the word ash in inappropriate ways.

I did celebrate Mardi Gras I guess - I had macaroni and cheese last night (my favorite dinner).  Does that count?

I have bangs - no one ever sees my smudge - but I know it is there and that is all that matters!   :)

I think you just struck out at being Catholic. You didn't celebrate Mardi Gras, you hide your smudge, and you missed the fast.  I think you've just punched your ticket to purgatory.

If you tell me you didn't watch The Bells of St Mary's this Christmas, you may fall into limbo.

You're lucky I'm not judging you for skipping pancakes on Tuesday and eating that near heretical macaroni (at least is Italian).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:01:35 PM by William T »

Offline christiane777

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 09:02:57 PM »

I think you just struck out at being Catholic. You didn't celebrate Mardi Gras, you hide your smudge, and you missed the fast.  I think you've just punched your ticket to purgatory.

If you tell me you didn't watch The Bells of St Mary's this Christmas, you may fall into limbo.

You're lucky I'm not judging you for skipping pancakes on Tuesday and eating that near heretical macaroni.

Whoa, let's slow down here a second... I have mardi gras beads hanging in the car, rear view mirror, along with a rosary.

It's all good.   ;)

And I have never seen the Bells of St. Mary - isn't that Bing Crosby?  I watch a lot of Fellini around Christmas - I think that counts too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:10:23 PM by christiane777 »

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 09:04:59 PM »
And yes, lent is oddly enjoyable and very spiritual and joyous...even though I'm awful at it.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 09:08:37 PM »

You're lucky I'm not judging you for skipping pancakes on Tuesday and eating that near heretical macaroni.

Whoa, let's slow down here a second... I have mardi gras beads hanging in the car, rear view mirror, along with a rosary.

It's all good.   ;)

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but my friend who is Irish as it gets calls Ash Wed communion "hair of the dog" .
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:09:54 PM by William T »

Offline christiane777

• Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 09:13:27 PM »

It's all good.   ;)

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but my friend who is Irish as it gets calls Ash Wed communion "hair of the dog" .

I rarely actually understand the Irish though I am one, partly anyway, and they are in my family. 

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 09:23:23 PM »

My boss had a smudge on his forehead today....it was all I could not to keep staring it...and not laughing when people unfamiliar with the tradition, kept coming up to him and letting him know there was something on his forehead!  LOL!

...it didn't help that in his stressful day, I watched as he rubbed his forehead...and made the whole thing worse.  :D
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »

It's all good.   ;)

I rarely actually understand the Irish though I am one, partly anyway, and they are in my family.

I.don't understand Syrians.  All I know is I get yelled at a lot,  when we read books or deal cards it's backwards, and if certain rhythms and scales hit I get swept up in a dabke line watching 80 year old women belly dance.

So far that's all I understand in life, and it took me over 30 years to figure that out.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:43:56 PM by William T »

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Old Rite
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 11:27:19 PM »
As a former Catholic it is kinda surreal, but for the most part if just feels like a regular Wednesday.
Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 01:33:37 AM »

Playing Bingo, does that count?   ;D

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 01:35:13 AM »

My boss had a smudge on his forehead today....it was all I could not to keep staring it...and not laughing when people unfamiliar with the tradition, kept coming up to him and letting him know there was something on his forehead!  LOL!

...it didn't help that in his stressful day, I watched as he rubbed his forehead...and made the whole thing worse.  :D

Somehow I like the idea of identifying one's self as a Christian on Ash Wednesday..... We don't do this but it is an outward sign of our faith and I kind of like this idea

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 01:49:48 AM »
Is showing your tits a Christian thing to do on Mardi Gras, as long as you have ash on your forehead and beads 'round your neck?

A shy pair of Great Tits
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 02:09:10 AM »
No that's the secularist / college kids hijacking of a good time.  Frankly, I hate going out on nights like that anyway....we always called them "amateur nights".  Mardi Gras specifically was annoying, because usually I would be bartending on a peaceful night with no idea what day it was, and some random group would come in for less than one drink at 1am and make my life a living nightmare while I was in shock and awe why I was dealing with such things on a Tuesday.  At least I knew when St. Pat's was coming up. Mardi Gras is sneaky, it's the Columbus Day of amateur nights, it always sneaks up on you and finds a way to frustrate you.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 02:39:46 AM »
Tending bar in a college town sucks.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 04:03:06 AM »
Mardi Gras in the UK = Pancake Day. Foolproof fun.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 04:36:08 AM »

Pancakes serve as pasties?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 04:55:37 AM »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 05:01:01 AM »
I guess it's Ash Wednesday today?  I noticed people with their ash crosses. That's crazy.
I've heard in some counries the ash is put on the foreheads in the shape of cross, but I've never seen this, since in Poland the ash is put on the top of the head, and, is somebody asks for it, into prayerbook or Bible too.

And the ashes come from burned palms from the previous Palm Sunday.

Is this the maximum distance between our Easter dates?
Yes. So sad for such families like mine (me being Orthodox and mother RC, father is Orthodox but he appears at home only a few times per year, and my sister used to be RC and now she doesn't know what is she, the rest of the family is in quarrel).

If Pascha is on the same day, or the difference is only 1 week, I usually attend this serivce with my mother, as it's quite nice.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 05:18:27 AM »

Pancakes serve as pasties?

No, they are served as yumminess. A much better idea than trying to go nekkid in February.