OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 05:05:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: becoming a greek orthodox priest?  (Read 6181 times) Average Rating: 0
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2011, 10:16:35 PM »

Godspeed!
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2011, 08:23:19 PM »

Your comment just doesn't make sense as a critique of this site, Orthodoxy or anything really. One person's predisposition towards who they might trust for a particlur type of advice isn't relevant nor does it indict Orthodoxy, unless I'm missing something.

You're missing about two thousand years of reliance on sacred texts, saints, Church Fathers, iconography, hymnography, etc. My issue in that particular post has past. My larger issue is with making things or people into authorities when that's the last thing that should be done. However, I pick and choose my battles, and I certainly don't expect that a critique on Christian authorities would convince many around here.

But in the context of a message board where people seek advice, someone saying they feel most comfortable seeking it out from a priest with certain qualifications seems reasonable, but in any event it just looks to me like you were angling for a reason to make a snarky comment. Coming from someone who has over 11k posts on this site and finds so much wrong with Orthodoxy I'm a little confused...and your sarcastic response is just more passive-aggressive than effective.

Snarky as in criticial, cutting, and testy? Yeah, that's a good description of me at times. Also, I wouldn't say that there is a lot wrong with Orthodoxy... last time I wrote up a list (about a week ago) there was only like 75 or so issues... that's a lot less than most other Christian groups!

To be clear, I enjoy your presence generally but the snarkniness and "hey, look at me sometimes I'm Orthodox but this week I'm not because I'm smarter than everyone again and I'm here to sit in judgment but only passively because I'm not really sure of myself and don't want to be moderated or have my posting privileges revoked because even though I'm not Orthodox I spend a ton of time here" schtick gets old.

Well that's quite a psychoanalysis Smiley  Let me try to cover it all: it's true I can be likable if I am motivated (though I rarely am); I am snarky at times; I never said I was smarter than everyone, though I do perhaps have more useless theological info in my head than most here; I try not to sit in judgment... at least not in the way that you seem to think; it's not that I'm sure of myself, that misses the point... I'm not sure that you exist, nor that I exist, and that kind of skepticism can soften the way you view the world a bit; I did get a chuckle out of the moderated/posting part... what, my fetish/bdsm post about girls peeing on me and such wasn't good enough for you?  Grin  also, I can only recall one time when I mentioned wanting to not post something for fear of being put on moderated status, and I hate to break it to you and pull back the curtain a bit, but that was a rhetorical ploy; I spend time here because I like exchanging sword thrusts with gentleman such as yourself!; and schtick isn't the right word... a schtick is a gimmick, an act... but I can assure you that I am this strange, prideful and inconsistent in real life.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:24:01 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
pasadi97
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2011, 11:35:51 PM »

Pray to God so you do his will not your will AND YOU'LL BE FINE.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2011, 06:15:49 AM »

To become a Greek orthodox priest, i have found out (correct me if I'm wrong,please) you need to have a 4yr degree and then go to a seminary school for another 3-4 years, WOW !

I'm not a young-en anymore, never graduated from college. Does that mean I'm out of luck?

Is there another way to become a priest?

If the answer is a solid definite NO u r out of luck there is no way u can do it without a degree~~then is there another way possible i can work in the field serving god?

I relay wanted to be a priest and this came about recently due to an incident that happened that brought me back to my religion from a long time away Sad

Ultimately it is up to the bishops but, the policy of the Greek Archdiocese of North America requires the following:

1) Masters level theology degree from an Orthodox seminary
2) Knowledge of Greek
3) Passing a psychological test
4) A pending parish placement

Of all the jurisdiction in America I think the process the GOARCH has is the model. The overall quality of the presbyters reflects this.

How well do priests get compensated?

See message 17
at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17921.msg294105.html#msg294105

for a statement from one of the senior Russian priests in the States on the poverty level of USA Russian priests and their families.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 06:23:15 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2011, 06:38:18 AM »

To become a Greek orthodox priest, i have found out (correct me if I'm wrong,please) you need to have a 4yr degree and then go to a seminary school for another 3-4 years, WOW !

I'm not a young-en anymore, never graduated from college. Does that mean I'm out of luck?

Is there another way to become a priest?

If the answer is a solid definite NO u r out of luck there is no way u can do it without a degree~~then is there another way possible i can work in the field serving god?

I relay wanted to be a priest and this came about recently due to an incident that happened that brought me back to my religion from a long time away Sad

Ultimately it is up to the bishops but, the policy of the Greek Archdiocese of North America requires the following:

1) Masters level theology degree from an Orthodox seminary
2) Knowledge of Greek
3) Passing a psychological test
4) A pending parish placement

Of all the jurisdiction in America I think the process the GOARCH has is the model. The overall quality of the presbyters reflects this.

How well do priests get compensated?

See message 17
at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17921.msg294105.html#msg294105

for a statement from one of the senior Russian priests in the States on the poverty level of USA Russian priests and their families.
Quite unbelievable! (yet true). This encourages me to be more sacrificial, thank you Father! May the Lord have mercy on His clergy!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: