OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 04:16:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Communion question  (Read 481 times) Average Rating: 0
Claire

Faith: Russian Orthodox (as of Aug 26th)
Jurisdiction: ?

« on: August 28, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »

Hi!

Well I was sitting and feeling guilty about something and wanted to ask someone but my Priest just went out of town. I remembered that everyone here gives good advise so I hope it is not a pain if I ask another question.

I was Christmated Friday! It was actually wonderful, I usually have really bad anxiety and I felt calm. Everyone said it was a lovely service. But I was supposed to get communion today and I live in NYC. My friend and I actually drove to long island (very dangerous!) and the trees were down. After driving around/through the flooding we found out all 3 churches were closed. We then went to another church that we had hear of but never been to and there service was over.

There really was no way into Manhattan (the tunnel and bridges were closed). So I could not receive today. I am thinking of going during the week but I feel kind of bad that I did not go. Is is OK to go during the week? Or is it better to just wait till sunday?

For those outside of the area hit by Irene it is pretty bad in some areas.

TIA for all the help (and for letting me rant on and on)
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 12:50:21 PM »

Hi!

Well I was sitting and feeling guilty about something and wanted to ask someone but my Priest just went out of town. I remembered that everyone here gives good advise so I hope it is not a pain if I ask another question.

I was Christmated Friday! It was actually wonderful, I usually have really bad anxiety and I felt calm. Everyone said it was a lovely service. But I was supposed to get communion today and I live in NYC. My friend and I actually drove to long island (very dangerous!) and the trees were down. After driving around/through the flooding we found out all 3 churches were closed. We then went to another church that we had hear of but never been to and there service was over.

There really was no way into Manhattan (the tunnel and bridges were closed). So I could not receive today. I am thinking of going during the week but I feel kind of bad that I did not go. Is is OK to go during the week? Or is it better to just wait till sunday?

For those outside of the area hit by Irene it is pretty bad in some areas.

TIA for all the help (and for letting me rant on and on)

It would be nice if you could wait until you can go to the Church were you were received. It will help to bind you to that community which is important. However, if you have a burning desire for communion and can find a service not also being given at your Church it should be fine. However, call your Priest and get his advice and blessing if you go somewhere else.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Claire

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 12:57:04 PM »

It would be nice if you could wait until you can go to the Church were you were received. It will help to bind you to that community which is important. However, if you have a burning desire for communion and can find a service not also being given at your Church it should be fine. However, call your Priest and get his advice and blessing if you go somewhere else.

[/quote]

I was hoping to wait, I just was not sure if it was allowed. My Godmother was really upset and telling to go to this other church, but I think that it is actually Greek (and I am not sure if ROCOR can go to GOCA). So much still to learn.

Thanks for letting me know it was ok to wait and go to the church I was received.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 06:59:23 PM »

What's the GOCA? 

Claire

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »

What's the GOCA? 

I was talking to friend of mine who said that the easy way to say Greek orthodox church was GOCA.Sorry about that.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »

Well, yeah, you can take communion at the Greek Orthodox parish.  But still, wait for next Sunday at your parish.  That's my theory.

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:19:15 AM »

As long as you are taking communion in a Church that is in communion with yours, there should be no problem. Do what your concience tells you. It is more important that you are bound to the body of Christ than any one parish.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: