OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 03:40:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Imitation of Christ  (Read 2199 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »

Well, I went to Barnes and Noble today. I couldn't find "the Ladder" and I didn't want to leave the store empty-handed, so I got the "The Imitation of Christ". I heard many great things about this book. For those of you who have read it, what did you think of it?

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 04:02:05 PM »

Well, I went to Barnes and Noble today. I couldn't find "the Ladder" and I didn't want to leave the store empty-handed, so I got the "The Imitation of Christ". I heard many great things about this book. For those of you who have read it, what did you think of it?

I have a copy of The Imitation of Christ with a running index of the scriptural references in the text.  It is a wonderful presentation and I used it regularly for many years.  I should add that it is a wonderful practical set of applications for entering the mystical life.  Using the scriptural references is a kind of lectio in itself.

Thomas a Kempis is a contemporary of the Flemish mystic, John of Ruysbroeck.

M.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 04:03:33 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 04:39:29 PM »

It was recommended to me by an old priest (not old by age, but a priest I confessed to before the present one) upon entering service.  I'm embarrassed to say I haven't finished it, but it is an excellent spiritual book so far as I have read.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 04:55:57 PM »

Make sure it's the Ronald Knox translation

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »

This was the second most printed and read book in WEstern Europe, second only to the Bible.  I've been told that for Orthodox, its use as a spiritual tool is suspect.  I can't seem to get an answer why as I've really not been too interested in reading it myself (though I do have an old copy somewhere). Once I find something out, I'll let you know.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 10:47:37 PM »

This was the second most printed and read book in WEstern Europe, second only to the Bible.  I've been told that for Orthodox, its use as a spiritual tool is suspect.  I can't seem to get an answer why as I've really not been too interested in reading it myself (though I do have an old copy somewhere). Once I find something out, I'll let you know.
Please do tell me if you find something out. So far, I am really enjoying it and I am feel as if I am spiritually benefitting from it immediately.

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 11:28:18 PM »

I would avoid the book at all costs. Hidden amongst the seeming words of "wisdom", lies the spirit of pride and prelest.

Check out these two links :

Spiritual Deception
St. Ignatius Brianchaninov's thoughts on the matter
(from Fr. Seraphim of Platina's book Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future) -

http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/readings/sign/deception.shtml

The Delusions of Catholic Mystics -

http://www.scribd.com/doc/44945061/The-Delusions-of-Catholic-Mystics
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:29:50 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 11:29:20 PM »

Ionnis I'm going to need you to explain more of your discontent with the book, it's practically the biggest selling Christian spiritual book.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 11:37:59 PM »

I would avoid the book at all costs. Hidden amongst the seeming words of "wisdom", lies the spirit of pride and prelest.

Spiritual Deception
(from Fr. Seraphim of Platina's book Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future) -

Maybe this isn't the best place to bring it up, but... Ioannes, you have made it quite clear in the past that you don't believe that the OO are Orthodox (which is fine, I respect your opinion). But, with that being said, wouldn't you view my own Church's "mystics" as "delusional"?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:42:24 PM by Severian » Logged

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 12:41:53 AM »

Ionnis I'm going to need you to explain more of your discontent with the book, it's practically the biggest selling Christian spiritual book.
And what a loss it is. I think every non-Orthodox book requires extremely close examination before we should acknowledge its "insight".

The book effectively builds up spiritual pride while claiming to encourage humility. It seeks to bring one into advanced spiritual states without the necessary asceticism (whereas this is central to Orthodox works such as The Ladder of Divine Ascent). In short, it is rooted in post-schism western spirituality (which later became focused on feelings and spiritual experience). As Orthodox Christians, we should not seek ecstasy, rather, we should strive for repentance. Pursual of divine experience is a gateway to deception.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:49:08 AM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 12:45:16 AM »

Spiritual Deception

Maybe this isn't the best place to bring it up, but... Ioannes, you have made it quite clear in the past that you don't believe that the OO are Orthodox (which is fine, I respect your opinion). But, with that being said, wouldn't you view my own Church's "mystics" as "delusional"?
That is true, but we have much more in common than you do with the Latins. Consequently, I believe we share similar concerns regarding the spiritual "developments" in the west.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:46:43 AM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 12:46:04 AM »

And what a loss it is. I think every non-Orthodox book requires extremely close examination before we should acknowledge its "insight".

The book effectively builds up spiritual pride while claiming to encourage humility. It seeks to bring one into advanced spiritual states without the necessary asceticism (whereas this is central to Orthodox works such as The Ladder of Divine Ascent). In short, it is rooted in post-schism western spirituality (which later became focused on feelings and spiritual experience). As Orthodox Christians, we should not seek ecstasy, rather, we should strive for repentance. Pursual of divine experience is only a gateway to deception.
That could actually be a good point. But have you actually read the book in order to come to the conclusion that it truly does lead one into spiritual deception?

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 12:50:19 AM »

That is true, but we have much more in common than you do with the Latins. Consequently, I believe we share similar concerns regarding the spiritual "developments" in the west.
I agree, but, to make sure I understand you, do you believe that OO "mystics" are "delusional"?

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 01:08:27 AM »

The book effectively builds up spiritual pride while claiming to encourage humility. It seeks to bring one into advanced spiritual states without the necessary asceticism (whereas this is central to Orthodox works such as The Ladder of Divine Ascent). In short, it is rooted in post-schism western spirituality (which later became focused on feelings and spiritual experience). As Orthodox Christians, we should not seek ecstasy, rather, we should strive for repentance. Pursual of divine experience is only a gateway to deception.
That could actually be a good point. But have you actually read the book in order to come to the conclusion that it truly does lead one into spiritual deception?
I never experienced such deception first hand, if that is what you are asking. I read portions of the text while attending a Roman Catholic seminary, but I never thought too much of it. It wasn't until I read authentic Orthodox spirituality (and how it contrasts with later western writings) that the errors within became manifest.

Why read it at all though? There may be fruit hidden amongst the writings of the heterodox, but there are multitudes of Orthodox writings on the subject of humility and theosis.

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 01:27:51 AM »

I agree, but, to make sure I understand you, do you believe that OO "mystics" are "delusional"?
Yes, but not necessarily.

A detailed response on my part would likely derail the thread, so feel free to PM me if you want a more concise answer.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 01:36:43 AM »

IMO you should stick with a truly Orthodox text, like Unseen Warfare.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:36:55 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 01:40:28 AM »

Which was purified of its errors, unlike the Imitation of Christ.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 01:43:27 AM »

Nah, you gotta go with the original version, not some censored version.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 01:53:49 AM »

Nah, you gotta go with the original version, not some censored version.

Rated M for Orthodox Maturity...priestly discretion is advised

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 01:56:17 AM »

Rated M for Orthodox Maturity...priestly discretion is advised

Cheesy Before I saw that you had made that post I made this postWink
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 09:35:15 AM »

Why read it at all though? There may be fruit hidden amongst the writings of the heterodox, but there are multitudes of Orthodox writings on the subject of humility and theosis.

By that logic, you should never read anything on the Internet either - particularly not at this forum, where the heterodox roam free.   Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 01:44:22 PM »

The book effectively builds up spiritual pride while claiming to encourage humility. It seeks to bring one into advanced spiritual states without the necessary asceticism (whereas this is central to Orthodox works such as The Ladder of Divine Ascent). In short, it is rooted in post-schism western spirituality (which later became focused on feelings and spiritual experience). As Orthodox Christians, we should not seek ecstasy, rather, we should strive for repentance. Pursual of divine experience is a gateway to deception.

So poo-poo to the holy fathers who exhorted: "Become Fire!!"

Grin

The idea that the west seeks ecstasy without prayer, sacrifice and alms giving, poverty, chastity and obedience come from the vastly ignorant who live both outside and inside the tradition.

That's a fact...and is demonstrable by the exceptional list of virtually unknown works from the west.

As I said earlier Thomas a Kempis was a follower of the Flemish mystic, John of Ruysbroeck who led an exceptionally ascetic life.  So that in the Life of Christ, asceticism is presumed as part of the mystical life, or life of holiness, or life of sanctity: whatever you want to call it.

The west's spirituality, a great portion of it that stems from the Benedictine tradition influenced by John Cassian, comes directly out of the writings of Evagrios the Solitary.  John Cassian is known as the Evagrios of the west.  The mendicant orders are inherently ascetic and apophatic.

Just as in Orthodoxy there are some who fast strictly and religiously and others who may do less: one does NOT compare one's practice for the purpose of getting one-up on one's neighbor.  The principles are there to guide the practice and God places his graces FREELY where He chooses.

I get pretty sick of ignorance passing as gnosis among the Orthodox who don't know a footin' thing about the spirituality of the Catholic west...at least not much of what's true and real and lives through till today.

Read the Imitation of Christ and God bless!!

And if you think Orthodoxy has it all sewn up: Go to "Lite" and Life publishing and see what is there for the regular folk in the pew who do the best they can to keep in mind the principles even if the practice slips more often than not.  Not all those books are spiritual masterpieces.

Get over your convertitis because it is most unbecoming a member of the Body of Christ.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:45:41 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 09:25:51 PM »

Really though, I am immensely enjoying this book. But, it's more of a book that you should read slowly rather than reading it all at once, so as to meditate on the wisdom contained therein. The chapters are usually only a page or two long so it's perfect to incorporate into a morning and evening prayer rule.

God bless.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »

Really though, I am immensely enjoying this book. But, it's more of a book that you should read slowly rather than reading it all at once, so as to meditate on the wisdom contained therein. The chapters are usually only a page or two long so it's perfect to incorporate into a morning and evening prayer rule.

God bless.

Glad to hear it.  Does your copy index the Scripture references in each section?

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 11:25:02 PM »

God bless.

Glad to hear it.  Does your copy index the Scripture references in each section?
Yes.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 11:28:12 PM »

I just wanted to add that my priest told me that my grandfather would have wanted me to read it as well.  Apparently, my grandfather seems to have recommended the book to my priest in his youth.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »

Thread Resurrection!

Since this is a trademarked Severian bump, I want to know if you have read the book since the time you made this thread.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »

^I sent Achronos a PM. Just a note, I may have expressed views here which I no longer endorse. I still think it is a useful book, my Priest likes it, but it is certainly important to read Orthodox works primarily.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:15:29 AM by Severian » Logged

WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 11:52:58 AM »

God bless.

I think that each day, you apply what you read on the chapter. Or do this on a week ; with the time, it will become "natural" ...
I never tried it, but when I read the book, this idea struck.
Tags: The Imitation of Christ 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: