Author Topic: Writings from the Philokalia on Prayer of the Heart  (Read 177 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Writings from the Philokalia on Prayer of the Heart
« on: May 22, 2017, 01:42:50 PM »
Writings from the Philokalia on Prayer of the Heart has, apparently, been reprinted by Faber & Faber, as new copies are appearing on Amazon and at the publisher's websiteat normal prices.

What makes this book special? It's basically a selection from across all five volumes of the (Russian) Philokalia, including most of the texts discussed in The Way of the Pilgrim. I believe it is the first volume of Philokalia writings to be published in English. In terms of the practice of the Jesus prayer, I would say it's the single most useful volume of Philokalia writings as it is geared largely toward that purpose and with the most influential/ important texts. That includes the lengthy Instructions to Hesychasts from Philokalia volume 5, the only place so far where this appears in English (I've heard from those who asked Met. Kallistos that volume 5 is ready for publication).
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
Re: Writings from the Philokalia on Prayer of the Heart
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
It might be more practical having all the writings of the Philokalia on the Prayer of the Heart in one volume.  There is an Index of Proper Names, but not a regular index.  A regular index would be helpful.