OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 12:28:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moscow Patriarchate creates media mistakes correction department  (Read 733 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: August 12, 2011, 06:16:05 AM »

The Synodal information department has created a sub-department for the correction of mistakes made in the media on subjects regarding the activities of the Russian Orthodox Church, the website of the Moscow Patriarchate, Patriarchia.ru, has stated...

I like the idea.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:02:58 AM »

Good move.

It is always important to make sure that the media gets the correct information. 

Western sources can easily misunderstand the Orthodox mindset as they may not know the meaning of certain terms. For example, "last rites" in the Catholic Church means receiving Confession and Holy Communion BEFORE one dies, but Last Rites in the Orthodox Church means the funeral service, which is considered a sacrament. Therefore, to say that an Orthodox Christian was given the last rites AFTER he died might confuse a Catholic reporter.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:20:34 AM »

I can't help but think how Orwellian this sounds.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:28:38 AM »

In Soviet Russia, mistakes correct you.

Sorry, couldn't resist.  This would be interesting to see in America. And a staff of one could cover the whole country (though it'd be a full time job, as much as they do screw up when they do a story on Orthodoxy)...
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »

It depends on what they mean by "correction."  If it's simply an office that  releases clarifying material on articles written about/by Orthodoxy, then it's pretty cool.

If it's something that insists on all articles being vetted/edited through them before publication, then that's very scary.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »

It depends on what they mean by "correction."  If it's simply an office that  releases clarifying material on articles written about/by Orthodoxy, then it's pretty cool.

If it's something that insists on all articles being vetted/edited through them before publication, then that's very scary.

Huh  I assumed they meant the former, not the latter. I would think they'd be past such censorship... though I guess when you've been willing to censor even your best literary minds not too long ago, you never know...
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 10:58:06 AM »

It's great, that they're in tune with the times
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 01:28:15 PM »

In which case, we should encourage them to open a branch office in the US!
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 03:47:19 PM »

LOL!

An American branch of that office would have its hands full.  I'm still shaking my head over "Friar Moses Berry".
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:47:53 PM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »

I know that at the Pat. of Const. one of the deacons is in charge of reading english language newspapers for he selfsame reasons.  what a world we live in. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »

LOL!

An American branch of that office would have its hands full.  I'm still shaking my head over "Friar Moses Berry".

Friar Moses Berry?

Oh dear. Is he now a monastic friar? Smiley
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:22:20 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 10:15:56 PM »

What's the difference between a media mistakes correction department and a publicist?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 10:19:28 PM »

Right. If it turns into the latter (which is always quite possible in Russia), that's a real shame, but if it's just what it sounds like, then it's a fine idea. All churches get misrepresented/represented in an overly simplistic way, so this can be useful.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 05:39:29 PM »

What's the difference between a media mistakes correction department and a publicist?

A publicist is always trying to spin you & your MO. a media mistakes guy just reports, and the up & ups do the rest.  it's not as "proactive" as a publicist might be.  that's the way I look at it. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 05:51:14 PM »

A publicist is always trying to spin you & your MO. a media mistakes guy just reports, and the up & ups do the rest.  it's not as "proactive" as a publicist might be.  that's the way I look at it. 

I meant no negative connotation with the word "publicist".  In fact I think it's necessary to have someone who knows how to speak to the media, especially a media that might be looking for ways to catch the bishops in a mistake.  At the same time, a church publicist would probably be someone who should have theological knowledge and be able to refute any false information spread by the media.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »

What's clearly wrong is all the inaccurate, biased, unrelenting and hostile crap that's being promulgated about the Christian church in the secular media. Being Christians, we turn the other cheek. But silence gives consent--especially in the Information Age. Misinformation---and disinformation---travels so fast that we can no longer afford to depend upon the media to rectify errors in time or rely on leaders to track down each falsehood. It's too much work. By the time a "fact" is rectified, the world is on to the next big thing and the correction goes unnoticed, leaving the first impression firmly emblazoned on the mind. We are living in an age where we are overwhelmed with information and disinformation.

It's time the Church had an organization to fight these calumnies point-for-point. We have to get energetic about preserving our religion; otherwise, within the next 20 years, it may be illegal.

Good for the Russians; it's absolutely necessary. I wish American Christians would do the same thing.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: