OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 06:24:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: was the compromise of the catholic faith a compromise to much?  (Read 996 times) Average Rating: 0
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« on: August 10, 2011, 05:08:44 AM »

was the compromise of the catholic faith a compromise to much?

when the pope agreed to allow Anglican priests , married at that to become catholic priests,

and that does not mean that worshippers of the Ordinariate will be "mingled in" with Catholic congregations.

"They will have a special service in their own right," said Bishop McMahon.

so these so called priests will have there own Anglican / catholic services with there own doctrine.

does this mean that the catholic church is no longer catholic, by faith and by nature, but a new protestant / catholic mix.

in the name of uniting these churches, has the pope created a monster?

catholic should be catholic, no compromise, do you think the apostles would of compromised like this to the detrimental cost of faith and church.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 05:16:55 AM »

Mandatory celibacy and liturgical unity are both errors.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:19:32 AM »

The special Anglican service will be in line with Catholic doctrine, I'm sure. And Byz Cath priests are allowed to be married IIRC. These are just pastoral concessions, not theological compromise.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:19:55 AM by Volnutt » Logged
JR
Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 05:48:11 AM »

The special Anglican service will be in line with Catholic doctrine, I'm sure. And Byz Cath priests are allowed to be married IIRC. These are just pastoral concessions, not theological compromise.

Hi Volnutt

you are quite right about the Byzantine rite, they are allowed to be married, though they are not Roman catholic, These Anglican priests have been ordained or made deacons in the Latin rite church which is very different.

I actually prefer the Byzantine rite, it is much closer to Orthodoxy and much closer to how the original church was.

Mother Teresa
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:14:57 AM »

And Byz Cath priests are allowed to be married IIRC.

Tell that to Italian Roman bishops. angel
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 06:27:19 AM »

Yes, they are.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 07:51:17 AM »

Yes, they are.

Please do not forget to tell the entire story about this situation...

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Dave in McKinney

Faith: Roman Catholic but loving Byzantine Catholicism

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:01:55 AM »

Technically married men can become priests not visa versa.  That is in the Eastern Catholic churches.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 08:09:47 AM »

Technically married men can become priests not visa versa.  That is in the Eastern Catholic churches.

Only if their bishop will ordain them. Not many EC bishops are so willing, unfortunately.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 08:12:07 AM »

Hi Volnutt

you are quite right about the Byzantine rite, they are allowed to be married, though they are not Roman catholic, These Anglican priests have been ordained or made deacons in the Latin rite church which is very different.

I actually prefer the Byzantine rite, it is much closer to Orthodoxy and much closer to how the original church was.

Why not come home to Orthodoxy and get the real thing? Wink

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 08:59:58 AM »

Only if their bishop will ordain them. Not many EC bishops are so willing, unfortunately.

In Christ,
Andrew

Only in the New World.  Bishops in the Old World have no problem ordaining married men the priesthood.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 09:04:49 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew

Only in the New World.  Bishops in the Old World have no problem ordaining married men the priesthood.

Apart from Syrians, SYro-Malancars and Ethiopians.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 09:15:28 AM »

Hi Volnutt

The strict separation of rites is in itself an innovation. For the first 1000 years of Christianity (Orthodoxy) in the West, there were multiple rites, and celibate clergy were not the norm until about the 8th century, and that only in regions directly under papal jurisdiction--this excluded most of the West which was basically autonomous.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 09:26:24 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew

What about the Chaldeans? And of course, I don't think the restrictions are limited to the new world. Many ECs outside their homelands, like in Italy, for example, do not permit married men to be ordained in the RCC.

In Christ,
Andrew

JR
Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 10:58:39 AM »

Hi Volnutt

In Christ,
Andrew

Thank you for the invitation, I am looking into converting to orthodoxy, just praying about it, it seems such a big step to take.

Mother Teresa
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 09:09:17 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew

What about the Chaldeans? And of course, I don't think the restrictions are limited to the new world. Many ECs outside their homelands, like in Italy, for example, do not permit married men to be ordained in the RCC.

In Christ,
Andrew

I was referring mostly to those of Slavic extraction in their homelands, where married priests in Ukraine, for example, are rather common.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 03:44:47 PM »

Hi Volnutt

you are quite right about the Byzantine rite, they are allowed to be married, though they aHre not Roman catholic, These Anglican priests have been ordained or made deacons in the Latin rite church which is very different.

In Christ,
Andrew

Thank you for the invitation, I am looking into converting to orthodoxy, just praying about it, it seems such a big step to take.
It is indeed a big step. There are many of us here who came from the same position at one time who would be more than happy to help answer questions or concerns. You're in my prayers.

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 03:46:14 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

In Christ,
Andrew

I was referring mostly to those of Slavic extraction in their homelands, where married priests in Ukraine, for example, are rather common.
Yes. I was talking about outside of the homelands with the exception of the Chaldeans. I apologize for not making that clear. Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

Tags: Catholicism  protestant 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: