OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:38:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did the EP or MP ever agree with RCC's to no-conversion policy?  (Read 743 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: August 11, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »

I thought I read somewhere that the Ecumenical Patriarch and/or the Moscow Patriarchate have agreed with Roman Catholics that each group should cease trying to proselytize the other. Is this true?

If so, I guess then there is nothing preventing the rest of us from trying to evangelize Roman Catholics. And indeed, if it is true, that's one good reason why North America shouldn't be under either the MP or the EP.

I cannot remember where I read it, but I'm hoping it isn't true. But I think the context was mainly about the Eastern Catholics & evangelism in Russia.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »

I thought I read somewhere that the Ecumenical Patriarch and/or the Moscow Patriarchate have agreed with Roman Catholics that each group should cease trying to proselytize the other. Is this true?

If so, I guess then there is nothing preventing the rest of us from trying to evangelize Roman Catholics. And indeed, if it is true, that's one good reason why North America shouldn't be under either the MP or the EP.

I cannot remember where I read it, but I'm hoping it isn't true. But I think the context was mainly about the Eastern Catholics & evangelism in Russia.
Coming from Transylvania, an area where, historically, Orthodoxy meets Catholicism I can assure you that this is indeed, the current practice, at least as a matter of  principle. No proselytism. Each church ministers to their own flocks without overt attempts to convert the other.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:08:14 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:32:38 PM »

Coming from Transylvania, an area where, historically, Orthodoxy meets Catholicism I can assure you that this is indeed, the current practice, at least as a matter of  principle. No proselytism. Each church ministers to their own flocks without overt attempts to convert the other.

If you change Catholicism to Lutheranism that applies also to Finland. However many Lutherans seem to convert to Orthodoxy even though EOs in here doesn't practice any kind of proselytism. Does that happen in Transylvania?
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »

That is just really sad, I hope the faithful and the Priests don't listen to their Hierarchs and evangelize anyway.

If it really is true that the EP and others have agreed not to evangelize Roman Catholics, then I'm just glad I'm not under his jurisdiction and that members of my church are allowed to bring people to Christ's Church.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 04:26:37 PM »

I am under the EP and I am not aware of such a policy. One thing is true though: We do not go to people's homes like JW's, and we do not hold crusades like some Evangelicals. But we maintain an open door policy, we try to be welcoming and show our faith to people. Whoever wants to join then, is the most welcome. Our priests don't send people back to their RC parish or whatever...
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »

Our priests don't send people back to their RC parish or whatever...

*usually

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 04:37:41 PM »

*usually
[/quote
Let's say I am not aware of such a case at all. I cannot exclude that some priest did it. But the ones I know more closely wouldn't do it.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 04:37:57 PM »

*usually
Let's say I am not aware of such a case at all. I cannot exclude that some priest did it. But the ones I know more closely wouldn't do it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:38:56 PM by Gorazd » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 04:54:01 PM »

Coming from Transylvania, an area where, historically, Orthodoxy meets Catholicism
You mean an area where historically (I'll leave the dispute on the present on the side for the moment) the Vatican tried to stamp out Orthodoxy.

I can assure you that this is indeed, the current practice, at least as a matter of  principle. No proselytism. Each church ministers to their own flocks without overt attempts to convert the other.
LOL. As the powers that be declare the other non-existent, and the Orthodox have demonstrated that they would rather burn a Church down rather than have those in submission to the Vatican have it.  And then there's the Vatican rushing out a Romanian translation of the CCC within the same year it came up first in any language, while English, the language of at least 5x the population of Romanian speakers under the Vatican. What was that for, especially as most of the Vatican's flock in Romania speak German or Hungarian?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:56:34 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 04:59:42 PM »

If you change Catholicism to Lutheranism that applies also to Finland. However many Lutherans seem to convert to Orthodoxy even though EOs in here doesn't practice any kind of proselytism. Does that happen in Transylvania?
Yes, though intermarriage may be a commoner cause.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 05:00:46 PM »

*usually
it seems to happen less often nowadays.  Now converts aren't an oddity.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:00:57 PM by ialmisry » Logged

davinpa

Faith: catholic (trying to be well rounded)
Jurisdiction: Viva Papa

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 12:58:15 AM »

The Orthodox don't want Catholics to proselytise, the Catholics say, only if you stop proselytising to the Catholics. EP and MP says deal. Now, if Orthodox still proselytize anyway, then I suppose in all fairness, the Catholics can also proselytize...
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 01:42:55 AM »

That is just really sad, I hope the faithful and the Priests don't listen to their Hierarchs and evangelize anyway.

If it really is true that the EP and others have agreed not to evangelize Roman Catholics, then I'm just glad I'm not under his jurisdiction and that members of my church are allowed to bring people to Christ's Church.

There's a difference between proselytizing and evangelizing.  Proselytizing is very aggressive and tends to be fear-driven; evangelizing is more informational, letting people know we exist, inviting non-Orthodox to come and see and inviting Orthodox to become closer to Christ through the Church.  

Also, even if neither of those is actively happening, that doesn't mean would-be converts are necessarily turned away.  

If you ask me, proselytizing is sometimes effective but often backfires, putting others on the defensive.  Evangelization is a divine mandate and any parish that refuses to engage in it deserves to die.  Refusing converts who come in sincerity, simply on the grounds of whatever religion they came from being "close enough", is demonic.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:59:13 AM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: