Author Topic: "LORD, HAVE MERCY" in your languages  (Read 9728 times)

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
Re: how to say lord have mercy in different languages!
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »
Second person plural pronouns were current in the Iberian languages-speaking word to adress people of higher statute, but they have nowadays disappeared in that sense outside of religious language. Some Spanish American countries inherited the pronoun "vos" from that old form, but it's not formal and it works a bit differently.
Right, so shouldn't it be "Senhor, tende piedade" in Portuguese?  How is it said in your church?
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2018, 10:34:16 PM »
Second person plural pronouns were current in the Iberian languages-speaking word to adress people of higher statute, but they have nowadays disappeared in that sense outside of religious language. Some Spanish American countries inherited the pronoun "vos" from that old form, but it's not formal and it works a bit differently.
Right, so shouldn't it be "Senhor, tende piedade" in Portuguese?  How is it said in your church?
"Senhor, tem piedade." We don't use the Roman Catholic tradition of "vós" to God, which is weird since "tu" is used in the Vulgate, and also probably just recently widespread since reading the Bible and praying Mass in Portuguese among Roman Catholics is a recent thing.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2018, 10:38:56 PM »
"Senhor, tem piedade." We don't use the Roman Catholic tradition of "vós" to God, which is weird since "tu" is used in the Vulgate, and also probably just recently widespread since reading the Bible and praying Mass in Portuguese among Roman Catholics is a recent thing.
Well, the plural form is usually proper to royalty.  Curiously, "tu" and "vós" were familiar pronouns, with "você" being formal.  This is still so in European Portuguese.  This was so in archaic English too, but nowadays it is reversed as well.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »
"Você" is a modern thing (XVII century), I believe "vós" worked both as plural informal/formal and singular formal, plus many formalities were shown using "vosso/vossa" + some virtue, specially "vossa mercê", which eventually became "você". All Iberian Latin languages formed their pronouns this way, but it's a relatively recent areal development across languages rather than an ancient trait.

In some parts of Brazil tu/você are still used as back in the same country, but with messed up grammar. In some like Rio, there are four levels in some sense: tu, cê, você, o senhor.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:36:28 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Sampson

• St. Sampson, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Chicago
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2018, 01:09:44 AM »
Does anyone have any good links to actual audio pronunciations of various "Kyrie" translations? It's obviously pretty easy to find some of the "larger" languages like Greek, Russian, Arabic, Romanian, etc, but it's much harder to find something like...Korean or Chinese.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2018, 05:40:14 AM »
Does anyone have any good links to actual audio pronunciations of various "Kyrie" translations? It's obviously pretty easy to find some of the "larger" languages like Greek, Russian, Arabic, Romanian, etc, but it's much harder to find something like...Korean or Chinese.

It's easier to find such things, if you know at least basics of the langauge, that's obvious. There are recordings of Orthodox services and prayers in really different languages, so it's jstu about knowdlge how to find them - I mean, knowledge of the language, because only in some cases wiriting in English such thigns as "Orthodox Japanese" can be helpful. It's also easier to catch the words and proper pronunciation, if, again, you know at least basics of the language.
For example Korean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HCLsbwvge0

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2018, 08:14:12 AM »

It's easier to find such things, if you know at least basics of the langauge, that's obvious. There are recordings of Orthodox services and prayers in really different languages, so it's jstu about knowdlge how to find them - I mean, knowledge of the language, because only in some cases wiriting in English such thigns as "Orthodox Japanese" can be helpful. It's also easier to catch the words and proper pronunciation, if, again, you know at least basics of the language.
For example Korean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HCLsbwvge0

+1
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • I am the Root of Existence
  • Faith: Universal
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »
Si .. Si .. Mi Amor
The Spirit of the Lord searches the spirit of a Man it searches his innermost being.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2018, 06:32:50 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2018, 08:30:22 PM »
Der Voghormia Lord have mercy ``` Hyeren in metch in Armenian

Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Offline servulus

• Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2018, 10:56:15 PM »
In Esperanto: Sinjoron, kompatu

Offline maneki_neko

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2018, 09:10:24 PM »
Japanese in my sig. Phonetic pronunciation: "Shu awareh meh yo".
主哀れめよ!

Offline iohanne

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2018, 09:56:17 AM »
Ilocano: Apo, pakawanennak.
Tagalog: Panginoon, maawa ka.
Castillian: Señor, ten piedad.
French: Seigneur, aie-pitié de nous.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:56:29 AM by iohanne »

Offline sestir

• Weihos Bokos
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: independent
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2018, 02:40:17 PM »
I reconstruct the Gothic phrase as: * Frauja armai!

Perhaps it needs an indirect object like "us" = uns/unsis or "the world" = þana fairƕu.
Frauja, armai þana fairƕu!

Wulfilan script uses the second half-pane of UTF-8. Seems it can't be written here.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Re: "LORD, HAVE MERCY" in your languages
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2018, 04:33:45 PM »
Since people started posting in the thread that actually repeats/reminds an older one I have merged the two topics.
Dominika Global Moderator

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:34:01 PM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2018, 11:18:09 AM »
I reconstruct the Gothic phrase as: * Frauja armai!

Perhaps it needs an indirect object like "us" = uns/unsis or "the world" = þana fairƕu.
Frauja, armai þana fairƕu!

Wulfilan script uses the second half-pane of UTF-8. Seems it can't be written here.
Amazing! I did study a little Gothic when younger. In this reconstructionist vibe...

• Common Germanic: "Frawjô, armai unsiz!" (I used "unsiz" because this feels like have been an intransitive verb)
  • Common Slavic: "Gospodi, jьměji milostь!" (didn't find any evidence for a single verb)
  • Common Indo-European: "H₂eryés, h₂éns!" (this must be totally wrong, but worth the try; the first root is related to "Aryan" and "aristocracy", the second to "onde")
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 11:18:58 AM by RaphaCam »