Author Topic: BBC - The language the government tried to suppress  (Read 232 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
BBC - The language the government tried to suppress
« on: September 24, 2016, 04:06:13 PM »
Jerlyne Ong, a Singaporean now living in Canada, sends a message to a friend back home: “Cannot imagine sia. In Singapore, you strike, you lose your job. But ya, the postal service stopped liao. Cannot agree, buay song, so liddat lor. No postal service for now. Also dunno how long some more. So pek chek.”

Is that English or not? Most of Singapore’s 6 million people speak it, but they don’t agree either. What they do agree is that it’s Singlish. Singlish is the unofficial language – or dialect? or slang? – of Singapore, born out of the contact between the several cultures that make up the city state. It’s a living example of how languages can change and develop. It is also an expression of the Singaporean character and culture, a national treasure – or a detriment and danger to the country, depending on whom you ask.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160919-the-language-the-government-tried-to-suppress
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox and Postpositivist
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Re: BBC - The language the government tried to suppress
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 06:15:50 PM »
This is pretty neat. I say let them have Singlish. But more or less, it sounds like a different language. If they are changing sentence structure, I am willing to say that it is no longer English. Maybe something more akin to the shift from Old English to Middle English.
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post:  Latin Divorce & Remarriage: A Forgotten History

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 06:31:10 PM »
If Singlish has developed into a creole (as opposed to a pidgin, which is not fully functional and typically doesn't have native speakers), I don't see why not calling it an autonomous language. It's funny that Singaporeans are apparently so reluctant with calling it a language while, say, Haitians, Louisiana Creoles and Cape Verdeans are very proud of their heritage. Probably because of the prestige of English-speaking culture in Singapore.
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Offline Diego

• Faith: Lutheran LCMS
  • Jurisdiction: Iowa District West
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 09:24:40 AM »
What an absolutely FASCINATING language! I would like to learn it.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 09:32:13 AM »
In Malaysia they have "Manglish" which is very close. Even when people are trying to speak straight English the "lah" will slip in when they are emphatic or frustrated about something.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles