Author Topic: The meaning of the word 'jihad'  (Read 1058 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
The meaning of the word 'jihad'
« on: October 29, 2016, 03:17:19 PM »
Andrew Cuomo also has been waging a jihad against pro-Palestine groups, for what it's worth, not a friend to Arab Orthodox.

You mean not waging a jihad. Or you don't know what jihad means.
In a time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Searching for the mystery of faith.
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: The meaning of the word 'jihad'
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
Andrew Cuomo also has been waging a jihad against pro-Palestine groups, for what it's worth, not a friend to Arab Orthodox.

Of course I do, I studied Arabic. Jihad just means struggle. He's been trying to shut down anti-Israel and pro-Palestine opposition. That's a jihad.
"Let books be your dining table, / And you shall be full of delights. / Let them be your
mattress,/And you shall sleep restful nights" (St. Ephraim the Syrian)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 03:27:13 PM »

Of course I do, I studied Arabic. Jihad just means struggle. He's been trying to shut down anti-Israel and pro-Palestine opposition. That's a jihad.

Yeah, especially spiritual struggle. It's quite an equivalent to Church Slavonic "podvig".
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline scamandrius

• Pray for our next president
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 04:02:48 PM »

Jihad is more than simply a struggle.  By that definition, my 6 month old son has a "jihad" every day.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 04:10:57 PM »

Jihad is more than simply a struggle.  By that definition, my 6 month old son has a "jihad" every day.

No it's not. The lexical meaning is struggle. Islamic law defines jihad differently than it's lexical meaning, all I was doing was using it in a lexical sense. This is honestly not something that is worth getting hung up on. http://lisaan.net/search/%D8%AC%D9%87%D8%A7%D8%AF

The first definition is to exert oneself or to be able to do something. Another says to eat and live as a human being is jihad. There are probably ten more definitions there if you want to be scrupulous about the word jihad. And if you want to do that, private message, because I really don't care about what you think jihad means. I don't, and I don't want to waste my time arguing about it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 04:13:51 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
"Let books be your dining table, / And you shall be full of delights. / Let them be your

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 04:26:19 PM »

Well, he is your adorable son.  :)
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline scamandrius

• Pray for our next president
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 04:51:57 PM »

No it's not. The lexical meaning is struggle. Islamic law defines jihad differently than it's lexical meaning, all I was doing was using it in a lexical sense. This is honestly not something that is worth getting hung up on. http://lisaan.net/search/%D8%AC%D9%87%D8%A7%D8%AF

The first definition is to exert oneself or to be able to do something. Another says to eat and live as a human being is jihad. There are probably ten more definitions there if you want to be scrupulous about the word jihad. And if you want to do that, private message, because I really don't care about what you think jihad means. I don't, and I don't want to waste my time arguing about it.

Hot damn, I missed you.   ;D

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 05:52:07 PM »
Your post said "wage jihad."
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 05:06:46 AM »
Your post said "wage jihad."

I am going to have to take up a crusade on this argument. That is "to mark with a cross" that is, "to add to this argument", that is "using the symbol of addition" and say:

Good point!!!

To say "wage jihad" is most often in the Islamic context of the word!

But that cannot will not win the argument, because he will simply respond, "to wage a struggle is a phrase, as 'to wage' is 'to engage in', and therefore 'to engage in a struggle'."

I am afraid it is impossible to decisively win this argument! Darn semantics!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:12:22 AM by Gunnarr »
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 10:45:38 AM »
*Facepalm*

I can't.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 11:17:02 AM »
Here there is an interesting article written by fr. Basil Mahfoud in Arabic "الجهاد والاستشهاد في الفكر المسيحي" that's in English "Jihad and martyrdom in Christian thought".
And, remembering that Arabic is a Semitic language, so based on roots and derivates (subjects) from them, both the priest (in the second paragraph of the article) and root-dictionaries (e.g Wehr) claim it's from root جهد
connected with effort, strain, stive, work etc. And this word is used in Arabic Orthodox works as an equivalent of Church Slavonic podvig (подвиг). Surely, in Islam context this effort is understood in different manner.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 12:52:32 PM »
Next up: the meaning of "sharia."
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 01:05:08 PM »
Next up: the meaning of "sharia."

An acclaimed singer-songwriter. 

The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 03:30:48 PM »

Okay, well, back on the ignore list for you.
In a time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 06:51:36 PM »

Okay, well, back on the ignore list for you.

I'm sorry I'm not going back to the dark ages.Jesus went against pharisees and hypocrites.If Patriarch Bartholomew doesn't want to be accused then he should control himself and his statements.He is a person in authority and power and we have the right to criticize him.Besides most in OC criticize Pope all the time but when it comes to our Patriarch then you all remember how sinful it is to judge..

We remember how sinful it is to judge, period.

Offline RaphaCam

• Holy Martyr Mercurius
  • Archon
  • Please pray for my family and for myself
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 10:04:41 PM »
If I put a lot of effort in my studies will I become a mujahid of books?
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Como posso lidar com minha condição pecadora?

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 10:43:49 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDz7o6nPFDI This might help, or make things worse; whichever I guess. I just happened to find it on Youtube.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:44:45 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 11:14:47 PM »
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: Finnish Orhodox inside of Finland
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 01:21:27 AM »
Yet another instance of non-Arabic-speaking White Christians defining what real Islam is. Too bad that I'm not a Muslim. This thread could be a lot of fun.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34