Author Topic: How to learn Greek  (Read 523 times)

Offline seekeroftruth777

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
How to learn Greek
« on: August 30, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »
So at Church, I pick up some Greek words, yet I probably know less than half of the liturgy in Greek, actually probably less than a 1/3rd in Greek, luckily for me we use a lot of English. However the language classes at school does not teach Greek, mainly Spanish, Asian languages, German, etc. So how do I go about learning Greek, A book? A language class outside of college? Help me please.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline seekeroftruth777

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
Re: How to learn Greek
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 11:26:13 PM »
Awesome, What would I do without MOR in my life :D

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: the one people like to criticize
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 05:27:19 AM »
The book Mor sent you to seems a bit expensive. Why not just get any old textbook of Koine Greek and work through it? Here's one I found useful as it doesn't require lots of grammatical knowledge and has a key to the exercises that you can pick up used fairly cheaply: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0340266481/sr=1-1/qid=1472635069/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1472635069&sr=1-1

If you just want to understand the liturgy in Greek, why don't you try to find a bilingual Greek-English text of the liturgy itself? Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Divine-Liturgy-Saint-John-Chrysostom/dp/0917651170/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472635263&sr=1-3&keywords=liturgy+greek

Keep in mind that the Greeks in your congregation aren't going to be speaking Koine. So if you want to chat with them, you need to learn Modern Greek. If there aren't any classes in your area, why not see if the church can arrange some?
Just for fun: "How understandable is Koine Greek to a Modern Greek Speaker?" http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/how-understandable-is-koine-greek-to-a-modern-greek-speaker.1249898/

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 11:17:33 AM »
The book Mor sent you to seems a bit expensive.

I am loyal to the book from which I learned.  :P
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 11:37:34 AM »
Seeker, early in my Greek class they shared a story about a young man who taught himself to read Greek and the local village tried to burn him as a witch because it was considered impossible to learn on your own.

I don't really think that's the case, but God bless you in the endeavor.   ;)

They used Machen at an Orthodox seminary? Yuck.

I did OK learning from Mounce, though strictly speaking that's Koine and not liturgical Greek. I'm pretty rusty now, though since we've started attending a GOA parish I've gotten a little practice.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Georgios Scholarios

• Georgios Scholarios
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 11:54:09 AM »
I'm learning Greek right now and I'm using this book. It's more in-depth than New Testament Greek books I've seen. This is important because, in my experience, whenever language books leave out details for the sake of simplicity, that just ultimately leads to confusion. Further, if you learn Attic, you'll be good to read Koine, but the same is not true the other way around. Finally, the book I've linked has a lot of supporting resources online:

http://atticgreek.wordpress.com/
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~jbausch1/HQ/
https://leitourgeia.com/greek-resources/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:55:30 AM by Georgios Scholarios »

Offline Cyrillic

• Make OC.net Great Again!
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 12:01:38 PM »
Introduction to Attic Greek by Donald J. Mastronarde.

Accept no substitutes.
That is the land of lost content,          
  I see it shining plain,   
The happy highways where I went   
  And cannot come again.
-A.E. Housman

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 12:09:55 PM »

They used Machen at an Orthodox seminary? Yuck.

It was the required textbook, but we never really used it for much other than the exercises (e.g., "Translate: The wicked young men threw stones at the house of the prophets.").  The professor prepared his own materials for any lessons in grammar, translation of longer texts, etc.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »
Textkit.

The site is no longer maintained, but the resources are still there to download.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 01:15:25 PM »

I note that the publisher is Pearson. They're a good educational book publisher and often have good web material related to their books. But the books and workbooks they put out are very overpriced. So it's no wonder attending university has become so expensive.

That said, I thought their Portuguese textbook Ponto de encontro was excellent since it has parallel Brazilian and European Portuguese workbooks and web sound files and videos to accompany the main textbook, not that anyone here needs to learn Portuguese now that the Olympics are over.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:17:32 PM by FinnJames »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 02:21:28 PM »
Duolingo (available on the web and as a mobile app) has just added Greek to its list of available languages.  It's still in Beta (so it's only available via the website - not the app yet).  The program has been helpful for me in the past (brushing up on French).
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."" Isaac Asimov

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 03:23:44 PM »
This web course looks like it could be interesting to work through. The material on the website is free, but a tutor is available for a (fairly hefty) fee and requires a rather expensive textbook. According to the FAQ completion of the course doesn't automatically lead to university credit though some colleges have approved it. The three courses up are equivalent to a university first year course. So if you're working as an independent student, you might want to check it out.
http://ntgreek.net/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:39:25 PM by FinnJames »

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 09:49:47 PM »
I use the Zondervan Greek chart as a language guide but what it really comes down to is translating thoughts.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:51:30 PM by WPM »