OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 11:15:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scandinavian Orthodoxy  (Read 21484 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: August 11, 2011, 12:41:34 PM »

Since there seems to be quite a number of Scandinavians on this board, I wanted to make a thread where people could share Orthodox resources (videos, hymns, articles, news, useful websites, etc.) relating to Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

This site publishes a very good magazine. Here is the most recent copy.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »

Perhaps we could make a list of Scandinavian Saints. I wonder whether there any more than these four:

- St. Ansgar
- St. Sigfrid
- St. Olaf of Norway
- St. Anna of Novgorod

If one wants to know about pre-Schism Orthodoxy in Scandinavia I would recommend reading  History of the Archbishops of Hamburg-Bremen by Adam of Bremen. It's written in post-Schism period but it contains interesting information about pre-Schism period such as how Orthodoxy arrived to Scandinavia from the West.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:27:18 PM by Alpo » Logged

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »

Well this site contains a series of podcasts of sermons and lectures on orthodoxy (one of them is in english and one in swedish but the rest is in danish). There are also are lot of articles written by our priest and other orthodox clergy and theologians which are pretty good.
http://ortodoks.dk/podcast/

This site is made by a friend of mine and is directed at young people who are interested in orthodoxy.
http://gudstro.wordpress.com/

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 05:24:34 AM »

For Byzantine chant in Norwegian:

http://www.orthodoxmysteries.com/chant-norwegian.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/EkteAsatru

You can also find the Byzantine notation for Vespers in Tones 1 and Plagal 4th, and the Resurrection Apolytikia in all 8 Tones. I've attached them below.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:24:15 AM »

Ortodoks Bønnebok contains basic morning and evening prayers, preparation for Holy Communion, Sunday material from the Ochtoechos, Troparia and Kontakia for feasts, and other helpful material.

Den ortodokse kirkes guddomelige liturgier contains the Liturgies of St. John Chrysostom, St. Basil the Great, and the Presanctified Liturgy of St. Gregory with supplimentary material.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 07:16:18 AM »

Perhaps we could make a list of Scandinavian Saints. I wonder whether there any more than these four:

- St. Ansgar
- St. Sigfrid
- St. Olaf of Norway
- St. Anna of Novgorod

St Uni (Unni, Unno, Huno) Sept 17
+ 936. A monk at New Corvey in Germany, in 917 he became Bishop of Bremen-Hamburg. He helped enlighten Sweden and Denmark and reposed in Birka in Sweden.

St Willibrord (Clement) Nov 7
c 658-739. Born in Northumbria, he went to Ireland. From there he went to Friesland in Holland (c 690) accompanied by eleven other monks from England. Six years later he was consecrated bishop with the name of Clement and he founded his Cathedral in Utrecht. His work with the Frisians bore much fruit, as also in Heligoland and Denmark. He founded the monastery of Echternach in Luxembourg in 698 where his relics remain.

St Ulfrid (Wolfred, Wilfrid) Jan 18
+ 1028. Born in England, he became a missionary in Germany and Sweden. He was martyred for destroying an image of Thor.

St Nithard Feb 4
+ 845. A monk at Corbie in Saxony in Germany and a companion of St Ansgar whom he followed to Sweden as a missionary. He was martyred there by pagan Swedes.

St Sigfrid Feb 15
+ c 1045. A priest and monk, probably at Glastonbury in England. He went to enlighten Sweden and was based in Vaxjo. One of his converts was King Olaf of Sweden.

Sts Winaman, Unaman and Sunaman Feb 15
+ c 1040. Monks and nephews of St Sigfrid whom they followed to Sweden. They were martyred by pagans.

St Hallvard (Halward) May 14
+ c 1043. Of the royal family of Norway, he met his death while defending a woman who had appealed to him for help. He is the patron-saint of Oslo.

St Sunniva (Sunnifa) July 8
10th cent. By tradition, Sunniva was a princess who fled from Ireland with her brother and others. They were shipwrecked off the coast of Norway but landed on Selje Island. Here they were slain by people from the mainland and their relics were enshrined in Bergen.

St Olav of Norway (Olaf, Tola) July 29
995-1030. Son of King Harald of Norway. His early youth was spent as a pirate but in 1010 he was baptised in Rouen in France and in 1013 he helped Ethelred of England against the Danes. In 1015 he succeeded to the throne of Norway and at once called missionaries, mainly from England, to enlighten his homeland. He succeeded in part but was driven from his kingdom. In an attempt to recover it, he fell in battle at Stiklestad. In Norway he is regarded as the champion of national independence.

St Olav of Sweden July 30
+ c 950. King of Sweden, martyred by the heathen for refusing to sacrifice to idols at the spot where Stockholm now stands.

St Gorman Aug 28
+ 965. A monk at Reichenau in Germany, he preached the Gospel and became Bishop of Schleswig in Denmark.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 07:26:58 AM »

There are also numerous saints that spread Christianity from the east (Saints Sergei and Herman of Valamo being chief examples). These saints are highly venerated in the Finnish Church.

But I guess OP does not count Finland as being part of scandinavia.  Grin Grin

Jag ser nu att detta är postat i Foreign Languages Forum sektionen. Varför pratar vi inte nordiska språk?
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 07:31:53 AM »

But I guess OP does not count Finland as being part of scandinavia.  Grin Grin

Jeg inkluderte ikke Finland siden den ortodokse kirke allerede er godt etablert som en statskirke, og finskspråkelige resurser er lett tilgjengelige. Så dette var mer for oss som ikke er fult så heldige Smiley
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »

Hvad med den hellige Trifon af Petsjenga som missionerede iblandt Skoltesamerne. Han var den sidste ortodoks helgen der virkede i Norge Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 07:49:56 AM »

Thank you for these. Here's one more: St. Rimbert, the second Apostle of the North and the successor of St. Ansgar.

Hopefully someone will someday paint an icon of All Saints of Scandinavia.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 07:51:57 AM by Alpo » Logged

Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 08:07:08 AM »

Hvad med den hellige Trifon af Petsjenga som missionerede iblandt Skoltesamerne. Han var den sidste ortodoks helgen der virkede i Norge Smiley
Verkligen intressant att helige Trifon av Petsamo också verkade i Norge. Bor det ännu skoltsamer i Norge?

Helige Trifon av Petsamo firas, tillsammans med Helgonen Sergius och Herman, som Finlands upplysare. Tydligen är han också Norges (i varje fall nordnorges)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryphon_of_Pechenga

Tackar Ansgar, varje dag lär man sig något nytt.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 08:23:18 AM »

Verkligen intressant att helige Trifon av Petsamo också verkade i Norge. Bor det ännu skoltsamer i Norge?

Helige Trifon av Petsamo firas, tillsammans med Helgonen Sergius och Herman, som Finlands upplysare. Tydligen är han också Norges (i varje fall nordnorges)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryphon_of_Pechenga

Tackar Ansgar, varje dag lär man sig något nytt.
Ja, der lever stadig skoltesamere i Norge men jeg tror ikke at det er mange.

De har et lille kapel i Neiden

Den hellige George kapel Smiley

-St Silouan the athonite
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 08:31:42 AM »

Jag börjar bli lite imponerad av Helige Trifons livsverk.

Vet du vilken biskop Skoltsamerna, som bor i Norge, vänder sig till för att få präster?
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 09:43:34 AM »

Jag börjar bli lite imponerad av Helige Trifons livsverk.

Vet du vilken biskop Skoltsamerna, som bor i Norge, vänder sig till för att få präster?
Hvis jeg ikke tager fejl så tilhører de samme eksarkat som vi, hvilket må betyde at de hører under Ærkebiskop Gabriel af Comane.

-St Silouan the athonite
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 12:41:42 AM »

For Byzantine chant in Norwegian:

http://www.orthodoxmysteries.com/chant-norwegian.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/EkteAsatru

You can also find the Byzantine notation for Vespers in Tones 1 and Plagal 4th, and the Resurrection Apolytikia in all 8 Tones. I've attached them below.
Does Asatru mean something different in Norway? In the US, it means neopagans who worship the Norse gods.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 10:36:03 PM »

Ortodokse Kristne Bønner På Norsk: Trosbekjennelsen

Forgive my sins.
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 04:50:00 AM »

Does Asatru mean something different in Norway? In the US, it means neopagans who worship the Norse gods.
Yeah, the username for the youtube account does not really match the uploaded content.  Huh Grin
But it is as you say that asatro is neopaganism, also in the nordic countries.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 06:02:59 AM »

Yeah, it doesn't match lol.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 07:55:50 AM »

Literally, "Ekte Asatru" means "Genuine God-belief". If you look up any video on youtube of Norwegian folk music, metal, or anything to do with the Vikings, you have a million comments from morons the world over saying "HAIL ODIN!" etc. I think the name was a tongue-in-cheek way of getting the attention of those people.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 07:40:51 PM »

Ah. Ok, makes sense. Thanks.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 09:36:53 PM »

Ortodokse Kristne Bønner På Norsk: Det Lille Kompletoriet
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 03:42:36 PM »

Johannes Chrysostomos liturgi på svenska

Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 03:28:31 AM »

Shocked Material på svenska från ortodoksi.net? Fantastiskt! Vem ska man skicka tackkort och blombuketter åt?  Grin
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 04:56:02 PM »

Det her er første del af en dansk amatørdokumentar om ørkenfædrene. To danskere rejser til Egypten for at møde de koptiske munke. Filmen er ikke af den bedste kvalitet men den er rigtig god og indeholder blandt andet en samtale med en eremit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5QhmyVVIrg

Smiley

-St Silouan the athonite
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »

Funny that Danish should have a native for "desert."
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 06:40:04 AM »

All those who understand norwegian just have to watch this. It is a small documentary about father Christofóros Schuff who live in Soothern Norway.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SchuffNorway#p/a/u/2/FuUtNgQ8p1g

-St Silouan the athonite
Fotina02

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 02:12:15 AM »

All those who understand norwegian just have to watch this. It is a small documentary about father Christofóros Schuff who live in Soothern Norway.

I watched this but don't speak norwegian. The wife was only in a few photos. Is he widowed? I liked his home chapel.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 03:27:28 AM »

I watched this but don't speak norwegian. The wife was only in a few photos. Is he widowed? I liked his home chapel.

I also wondered about that. You can see his wife on some of his other videos, so I suppose she is still around  Smiley

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 04:36:16 AM »

I also wondered about that. You can see his wife on some of his other videos, so I suppose she is still around  Smiley

Maybe she wanted to avoid publicity since that document seem to have been broadcasted in Norwegian television.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 08:54:55 AM »

Maybe.

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 01:33:46 AM »

Några andra liturgiska texter på svenska: 1, 2.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:40:18 AM by Alpo » Logged

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 05:29:49 AM »

His wife is still alive and kicking. He says in the documentary "my wife is away in China at the moment, so I'm alone this week". He's an American convert to Orthodoxy who married a Norwegian and set up a little mission in southern Norway. He belongs to the Russian Exarchate under Constantinople, but received his theological training at the University of Thessaloniki and makes use of many Greek practices with the blessing of Archbishop Gabriel. He is, for example, working on setting Norwegian liturgical texts to the Byzantine melodies, although I have not yet heard any recordings/seen any sheet music to know what it's like.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 05:31:34 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2011, 07:24:15 AM »

His wife is still alive and kicking. He says in the documentary "my wife is away in China at the moment, so I'm alone this week". He's an American convert to Orthodoxy who married a Norwegian and set up a little mission in southern Norway. He belongs to the Russian Exarchate under Constantinople, but received his theological training at the University of Thessaloniki and makes use of many Greek practices with the blessing of Archbishop Gabriel. He is, for example, working on setting Norwegian liturgical texts to the Byzantine melodies, although I have not yet heard any recordings/seen any sheet music to know what it's like.

I think that in one of his videos he is singing psalm 141 in norwegian but I can't say for sure if it is byzantine.

-St Silouan the athonite
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 06:09:45 AM »

I found a 1983 edition of the Sobornost journal in Norwegian. The whole journal was too large to upload, so I've just attached an article by John Meyendorff on Tradition.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »

Byzantine chant in Norwegian: Psalm 22  - The Lord is my Shepherd (Salme 22 - Herren er min Hyrde) with Byzantine notation.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2011, 06:33:54 PM »

Leena-Maija Trapp fortæller om sin ortodokse tro i det svenske program Från Sverige till himlen.

http://svtplay.se/t/152223/fran_sverige_till_himlen

-St Silouan the athonite
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2011, 01:24:18 AM »

That's funny, why at the beginning is the title in English "The Priest at Greipstad" and then the rest of it is entirely in Norwegian? Is that common?
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 06:56:42 AM »

Maybe, it is because he is american.

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 05:43:25 AM »

Leena-Maija Trapp fortæller om sin ortodokse tro i det svenske program Från Sverige till himlen.

Thank you for this. She seems to be originally a Finn so it's nice to think that my people can be a help in bringing Orthodoxy to other Scandinavians.

Also, Swedish is a beautiful language and rikssvenska is even more beautiful than finlandssvenska and I haven't heard neither of them for a long time since my compulsory Swedish courses are long gone and there are hardly any Sweadish-speaking Finns in my part of Finland. Maybe I should make an effort to read something in Swedish again.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 06:35:54 AM »

Thank you for this. She seems to be originally a Finn so it's nice to think that my people can be a help in bringing Orthodoxy to other Scandinavians.

Also, Swedish is a beautiful language and rikssvenska is even more beautiful than finlandssvenska and I haven't heard neither of them for a long time since my compulsory Swedish courses are long gone and there are hardly any Sweadish-speaking Finns in my part of Finland. Maybe I should make an effort to read something in Swedish again.
I actually thought about you when I posted it. I just have to be sure, the chuldren who were transported to Sweden, was that WW2?

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »

I just have to be sure, the chuldren who were transported to Sweden, was that WW2?

Yes. If you want to know more about them just search "krigsbarn" from some search engine. There seems to be plenty of information available.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2011, 08:40:08 AM »

I just have to be sure, the chuldren who were transported to Sweden, was that WW2?

Yes. If you want to know more about them just search "krigsbarn" from some search engine. There seems to be plenty of information available.
Thank you. I was just wondering beacuse she looked so young so I thought maybe Finland had been involved in some weird war, I didn't know about  Cheesy

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2011, 09:30:16 AM »

Thank you. I was just wondering beacuse she looked so young so I thought maybe Finland had been involved in some weird war, I didn't know about  Cheesy

In a way our wars were separate from WWII since we fought for our independence whereas others fought against Nazis or for Lebensraum. I believe that even if there wasn't WWII there would have been war in Finland anyway. Conflict with USSR was inevitable.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »

In a way our wars were separate from WWII since we fought for our independence whereas others fought against Nazis or for Lebensraum. I believe that even if there wasn't WWII there would have been war in Finland anyway. Conflict with USSR was inevitable.

Sadly, I think you're right.

-St Silouan the athonite
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2011, 03:32:37 PM »

hi friends!
do u have any resources in finnish or about orthodoxy in finland?
i have a finnish friend who is orthodox, but he doesn't live in finland at the moment.
thanks
 Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: