Author Topic: Abp. Piero Marini named new President of Liturgy Commission for Eastern Churches  (Read 946 times)

Offline PJ26

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Russian - is there another one? ;)
http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2015/09/piero-marini-appointed-as-new-president.html

I just thought this was interesting.  Abp. Piero Marini is no friend of the traditional liturgy.  He is a proud disciple of the late Abp. Annibale Bugnini, a supposed Freemason who was one of the leading forces behind the liberal reforms of the Mass post Vatican II having said:

"We must strip from our Catholic prayers and from the Catholic liturgy everything which can be the shadow of a stumbling block for our separated brethren that is for the Protestants."

As for Abp. Marini himself, as Master of Ceremonies under JP2, he was a fan of things like liturgical dance and modern vestments.  There was a lot of fear in traditional Catholic circles that he would become Cardinal Prefect, under Francis, for the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.  Fortunately that did not happen, but I'm afraid what damage he will be capable of doing to the Eastern rite liturgies in his new role...

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Protokentarchos
Yeah. ... I notice that it is always referring to someone else.

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Old Rite
http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2015/09/piero-marini-appointed-as-new-president.html

I just thought this was interesting.  Abp. Piero Marini is no friend of the traditional liturgy.  He is a proud disciple of the late Abp. Annibale Bugnini, a supposed Freemason who was one of the leading forces behind the liberal reforms of the Mass post Vatican II having said:

"We must strip from our Catholic prayers and from the Catholic liturgy everything which can be the shadow of a stumbling block for our separated brethren that is for the Protestants."

As for Abp. Marini himself, as Master of Ceremonies under JP2, he was a fan of things like liturgical dance and modern vestments.  There was a lot of fear in traditional Catholic circles that he would become Cardinal Prefect, under Francis, for the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.  Fortunately that did not happen, but I'm afraid what damage he will be capable of doing to the Eastern rite liturgies in his new role...

There are a couple of more traditionally minded Catholics I've run across who use the Eastern Rites as a refuge from the liturgical chaos of the Novus Ordo Latin Rite. My heart goes out to them.
Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

There are a couple of more traditionally minded Catholics I've run across who use the Eastern Rites as a refuge from the liturgical chaos of the Novus Ordo Latin Rite. My heart goes out to them.

There is a traditionalist Roman Catholic boarding school that brings the students to a Ukrainian Catholic church a few hamlets over from me.

Online Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: East
Perhaps the optics don't look so hot, but I really wonder if he'll be able to exercise the kind of negative effect on Eastern liturgies that some RC's feared he would if placed at the head of CDW. 
Mor is always the best :P

Mor gives each new member a golden shirt!  !trihs nedlog a rebmem wen hcae sevig roM 

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land

This is captioned as "liturgical dance" at Homestead Mennonite Church in 2012.

Isn't there an oxymoron somewhere in there?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:08:08 PM by rakovsky »

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Old Rite

What does that have to do with the topic at hand?
Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
This Pope is no friend to the Divine Liturgy, even the Novus Ordo.  I have yet to see him keep strictly to its practice without deviating.  He has forbidden the Traditional Rite to be used by a particular order of Franciscans.  And now, he puts into power a man who is known for wanting a common service with Protestants by expunging the truly "Catholic" portions of the Mass.  Yeah, I'm sure he'll do wonders for the preservation of the Eastern Rite among Byzantine Catholics.

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I

What does that have to do with the topic at hand?
PJ mentioned about the liturgical dancing so I provided an illustration.

Offline Tony

Perhaps the optics don't look so hot, but I really wonder if he'll be able to exercise the kind of negative effect on Eastern liturgies that some RC's feared he would if placed at the head of CDW.

I agree that he will not be able to have much influence in this new role, especially among Eastern Catholic Churches that have their own patriarchs. Imagine him trying to get the Melkite synod to start using tie dye vestments? Haha

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
This Pope is no friend to the Divine Liturgy, even the Novus Ordo.  I have yet to see him keep strictly to its practice without deviating.  He has forbidden the Traditional Rite to be used by a particular order of Franciscans.  And now, he puts into power a man who is known for wanting a common service with Protestants by expunging the truly "Catholic" portions of the Mass.  Yeah, I'm sure he'll do wonders for the preservation of the Eastern Rite among Byzantine Catholics.

I am unable to hop onto the same page you are on.

This Pope is no friend to the Divine Liturgy
LINK?

even the Novus Ordo.
Link?

I have yet to see him keep strictly to its practice without deviating.
I am sure there are services daily. How may have you seen?

He has forbidden the Traditional Rite to be used by a particular order of Franciscans.
Link?

And now, he puts into power a man who is known for wanting a common service with Protestants by expunging the truly "Catholic" portions of the Mass.
Link?

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
I dont have a link for everything I know. Much of my knowledge comes from print sources. 

Offline PJ26

• Jurisdiction: Russian - is there another one? ;)
Just a couple quick links:

Regarding the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate:

http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2013/12/15/popes-crackdown-on-order-alarms-traditionalists/

Pertinent quotes

"The Vatican in July named the Rev. Fidenzio Volpi, a Franciscan Capuchin friar, as a special commissioner to run the order with a mandate to quell the dissent that had erupted over the liturgy, improve unity within its ranks and get a handle on its finances. In the same decree appointing Volpi, Francis forbade the friars from celebrating the old Latin Mass unless they got special permission, a clear rollback from Benedict’s 2007 decision.

In the weeks that followed, traditionalists voiced outrage: four tradition-minded Italian intellectuals wrote to the Vatican accusing it of violating Benedict’s 2007 edict by restricting the Latin Mass for the friars, saying the Holy See was imposing “unjust discrimination” against those who celebrate the ancient rite.

Volpi though was undeterred: He sent their founder, the Rev. Stefano Maria Manelli, to live in a religious home while he set about turning the order around.

And on Dec. 8, he took action, issuing a series of sanctions in the name of the pope that have stunned observers for their seeming severity: He closed the friars’ seminary and sent its students to other religious universities in Rome. He suspended the activities of the friars’ lay movement. He suspended ordinations of new priests for a year and required future priests to formally accept the teachings of the Second Vatican Council and its new liturgy or be kicked out. And he decreed that current priests must commit themselves in writing to following the existing mission of the order."

Also:

"Francis has made clear his disdain for traditionalist Catholics, saying they are self-absorbed retrogrades who aren’t helping the church’s mission to evangelize."

Further regarding his views on the traditional liturgy an article entitled "How Summorum Pontificum was blocked and trampled on in Buenos Aires: facts, not fantasy and disinformation"

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-summorum-pontificum-was-blocked-and.html

Regarding his own celebration of the liturgy there is the so-called Pinocchio mass of 2011:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwS9umpEkvs

And on the so-called Tango mass of 2008:

https://mundabor.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/francis-tango-mass/

Offline jwinch2

Archbishop Marini is a disaster when it comes to Sacred Liturgy.  My heart goes out to Eastern Catholics.  His reputation is well deserved, and anyone who has studied the liturgical changes in the Latin Church following Vatican II knows the role he played, and the double handedness he used to accomplish his will and the will of other dissidents (going to the commission and saying "the Pope wants this" and then going to the Pope and saying "the commission wants this", is but one example).  Fr. Cekada's Work of Human Hands is a great place to start if one is looking to understand how this happened.  Thankfully, in an age of worldwide instantaneous mass communication, such subterfuge is no longer as easy as it once was, and I cannot see Eastern Bishops going for any nonsense, particularly with them going in knowing his reputation. 

Online Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: East

I am unable to hop onto the same page you are on.

This Pope is no friend to the Divine Liturgy
LINK?

even the Novus Ordo.
Link?

I have yet to see him keep strictly to its practice without deviating.
I am sure there are services daily. How may have you seen?

He has forbidden the Traditional Rite to be used by a particular order of Franciscans.
Link?

And now, he puts into power a man who is known for wanting a common service with Protestants by expunging the truly "Catholic" portions of the Mass.
Link?

I just consider this another masturbatory thread that derives pleasure by dissing my saintly Patriarch.
Mor is always the best :P

Mor gives each new member a golden shirt!  !trihs nedlog a rebmem wen hcae sevig roM