OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 02:16:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homosexulaity and the Church--was part of Re: Interesting development in the OCA  (Read 19861 times) Average Rating: 0
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #360 on: August 15, 2011, 03:17:52 PM »

^ They'll have to adjust-those coming from born-again/committed evangelical/southern baptist or even mainliners that left because of culture wars in their former churches-they will need to adjust to the "official hypocrisy" which has been the operating mode of most Orthodox Churches over the centuries. I mean if you do not get that there is no active  hunting of homosexuals or alcoholics or fornicators in a parish, and you take it upon yourself to spy on people and report to the priest etc, what you are doing is as foreign to Orthodoxy as a gay wedding, if you wish. So for the sake of the churches here staying Orthodox, I hope this sick behaviour I have personally witnessed does not become acceptable as some sort of 'positive evangelical impact on American Orthodoxy".
Let me say it again:
THE CHURCH DOES NOT MICRO_MANAGE OUR LIVES.

True, but we should do so for own lives, preferably under the guidance of our priest. I think that we should be the best Christians, parents, citizens, workers, we can be. I cannot understand why you find it necessary to throw water on the zeal of those converts and cradle Orthodox who want to take their faith seriously. Are you rebelling against something or are all those folks a proxy for your own struggles? I know I have made fun of you in the past, but now that you are posting more than cryptic messages, I think there is more to it than playing clever word games. It seems to me that you protest and attack too much, to the point of making me wonder whether you are being pulled in different directions. and your struggle is projected upon folks here on the forum.

Regarding the accusations of homosexuality directed against individuals, I have seen this done in the case of Mark Stokoe and it is a shame and a scandal. However, when persons personify real or imagined causes, they do become targets. In my experience, this is an exception to the rule: Orthodox folks are indeed more concerned with their own failings than of others'. This has been especially true of the converts.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:36:59 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Taxiarches

« Reply #361 on: August 15, 2011, 03:36:27 PM »

My impression of traditional Orthodox churches (ethnic, not convert) is that there is most certainly a great deal of mutual reproof and encouragement. Church members who live openly sinful lives, do not contribute to the Church financially or by volunteering their time and effort, show disrespect to clergy or elders, are not tolerated. This hyper-individualistic understanding of Church membership that augustin is advocating is not traditional; it is the product of modern, urban, youthful libertarianism. It's "hipster" Orthodoxy, the Orthodoxy that is all about rejecting conventional society, not because we want to join an authentic society, but because we just don't like anyone telling us what to do. I'm sorry, but if that's what you want, Orthodoxy is not for you.
I come and lived and was born in  a place where Orthodoxy is the default religion and such; people gossip a lot but would never tell on you to the priest, as if it's their damn business if you commune worthily or not; they rarely commune though.

It isn't just my business if I commune worthily or not. Sure, I might (God forbid!) eat and drink condemnation to myself. But it is the job of the Priest to make sure that communion is reserved only for those who are prepared for it, and to keep it away from those who aren't even in the Church. But Priests are human, and they aren't omnipotent, and if someone knows that a non-Orthodox is about to take communion, we have to tell him. Or, if someone is open and unrepentant in committing a sin, then, because we are a part of a community that participates together in salvation, we need to privately, out of love, inform the Priest of this and allow him to deal with the situation.
If a Priest is allowing non-Orthodox to receive communion, then he should be confronted about it. If he doesn't care, then you absolutely must take it to the Bishop. This isn't necessarily the same for people viewed as "unrepentant", but you should still speak to the Priest about it privately. If you have reason to believe that the Priest is knowingly giving communion to those who you know that he knows are unrepentant, I would speak with the Bishop.

And who is to say that a person is repentant or not? That is what confession is for--for the priest to witness to the penitent's repentance. If you cannot read the heart, you have no business questioning another's repentance.

Sometimes people's actions show whether they are repentant or not. Let's take adultery; if Joe Goodtime, having just seduced your wife and apologized for it (and presumably received absolution for he has communed), goes next after your daughter, I would say that you don't need to know what's in his heart. OTH, I do agree with you that we simply must not be vigilantes. That does not mean that we should not be concerned and take action if the priest or the bishop starts doing really weird and bad things. We just have to follow the Biblical prescription of how we are supposed to confront a brother a sister whose conduct is so egregiously bad that we feel compelled to do so (see Father George's post above). This is an awesome responsibility that we must undertake with utmost gravity and care, and after much prayer and homework.

Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #362 on: August 15, 2011, 03:53:23 PM »

I had a godson who had these temptations and blogged about them. Someone informed the priest. Godson got upset and left for, strangely, Judaism. Granted, he had/has many issues at work, but, yeah, we don't need informants. Sadly, I've experienced this sort of thing at least twice. I don't think informants do themselves any favors with the Almighty. Sort of goes against the patristic saying that if you see your brother sin, do not believe it.

Not just the Patristic - the Biblical also.  In the Biblical model of conflict resolution (which applies to "if someone sins against you"), steps 1 and 2 involve direct communication with the person (step 1: tell them directly; step 2: tell them again w/ 2 witnesses present), never speaking about them behind their backs.  Even if one considers the ancient practice of public confession (i.e. confession of the most serious sins in front of the entire community), you still have the person voluntarily going in front of the community, not being dragged up there because someone "outed" their sin (whatever sin this may be) in front of everyone.

In short: if you see your brother sin, don't believe it, but speak with them directly about it, not to others; if it requires a priest's attention, tell them to do it, don't do it for them (unless you think they're a risk for imminent danger to themselves or others).

This seems like very sound advice, Father. Nothing behind people's backs. I've actually seen that dark side of things at my parish, and it's not healthy. But the better kind of people I know either are up front or they mind their own business.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #363 on: August 15, 2011, 08:06:24 PM »

Open letter to the Holy Synod from 15 college students and young adults

August 12, 2011 -- Martyr Anicetus of Nicomedia

To: Holy Synod of Bishops, Orthodox Church in America
(Letter to follow in hard copy)

<..........>
Your Beatitude, Your Eminence, Your Graces,

Though our Lord never condoned sin, He nonetheless ministered to the
most vulnerable and marginal, reserving His public condemnations for
those who victimized them. As Orthodox college students and young
adults, we are writing to express our grave concerns about the state of
public Orthodox discourse on a highly sensitive pastoral issue that
especially affects young people in our Church. In the wake of a string
of suicides by American students persecuted for their homosexuality -- a
tragic trend which has not left our Church untouched -- our consciences
do not permit us to ignore the language of revilement directed by some
in the Church towards gay people.

On public and easily accessible Internet postings, Orthodox clergymen --
including OCA priests -- repeat disgusting and discredited theories
about the etiology of same-sex attraction; liken gay people to “old
perverted men who love little boys”; tell Orthodox Christians that
homosexuality “should make our stomachs turn and make us vomit”; call
for “spiritual warfare” against those in the Church who advocate a more
restrained pastoral approach; and accuse those who speak up for gay
people of being “homosexual activists,” publicly expressing hope that
they will leave the Orthodox faith.
<..........>

Here is an Internet site with video clips of Fr Josiah Trenham which contain these quoted sentiments about which the student complain to the OCA Synod.   The video is in 2 parts and you will need to listen to both of them to get both quotes.

http://www.aoiusa.org/blog/2011/07/fr-josiah-trenham-the-orthodox-church-and-same-sex-marriage-video/

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #364 on: August 15, 2011, 09:34:19 PM »

I would be severely censored if I said what I really think about this priest.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #365 on: August 15, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »

Open letter to the Holy Synod from 15 college students and young adults

August 12, 2011 -- Martyr Anicetus of Nicomedia

To: Holy Synod of Bishops, Orthodox Church in America
(Letter to follow in hard copy)

<..........>
Your Beatitude, Your Eminence, Your Graces,

Though our Lord never condoned sin, He nonetheless ministered to the
most vulnerable and marginal, reserving His public condemnations for
those who victimized them. As Orthodox college students and young
adults, we are writing to express our grave concerns about the state of
public Orthodox discourse on a highly sensitive pastoral issue that
especially affects young people in our Church. In the wake of a string
of suicides by American students persecuted for their homosexuality -- a
tragic trend which has not left our Church untouched -- our consciences
do not permit us to ignore the language of revilement directed by some
in the Church towards gay people.

On public and easily accessible Internet postings, Orthodox clergymen --
including OCA priests -- repeat disgusting and discredited theories
about the etiology of same-sex attraction; liken gay people to “old
perverted men who love little boys”; tell Orthodox Christians that
homosexuality “should make our stomachs turn and make us vomit”; call
for “spiritual warfare” against those in the Church who advocate a more
restrained pastoral approach; and accuse those who speak up for gay
people of being “homosexual activists,” publicly expressing hope that
they will leave the Orthodox faith.
<..........>

Here is an Internet site with video clips of Fr Josiah Trenham which contain these quoted sentiments about which the student complain to the OCA Synod.   The video is in 2 parts and you will need to listen to both of them to get both quotes.

http://www.aoiusa.org/blog/2011/07/fr-josiah-trenham-the-orthodox-church-and-same-sex-marriage-video/

Thank you Father.

Unbelievable.

I mean really. I can't believe this.

I don't think my backwater Baptist youth days did I hear such precise, if inaccurate, hate-mongering.

I was waiting for attribution for the stuff you posted.

Many thanks. This is sobering on many levels.

Lord have mercy.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #366 on: August 15, 2011, 09:59:18 PM »

How bad was it (besides the above quotes)?  I could only make it through about 4 minutes before I had to turn it off (it's a snore-fest).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:59:52 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #367 on: August 15, 2011, 09:59:45 PM »

I am actually somewhat familiar with the man, by reading 2 blogs. Apparently he spouts nonsense like this on a variety of issues, universal health care included.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #368 on: August 15, 2011, 10:06:55 PM »

It appears I missed a lot here, after spending too much time on it.
I tried to read it all, and then got lost in the midst of a couple of side arguments, inside jokes, etc.

re: Orthonorm, I think it's fairly clear where we're diverging, and not really worth digging into. Again, I apologize for the comment I mentioned earlier, and wish to move forward from any resentment I held towards you for what I perceived as personal attacks. As I've said in other discussions, I come here with a specific purpose, and get put off by a certain approach, which is your right to take whether I like it or not.
I'm confused by the Latin comment, though, it went over my head...I don't know that I've ever used a Latin expression on this site. Maybe my name was a typo? Just curious...

Re:Schultz, I get your point, and not having lingered around this forum long enough, I had not had any exposure to this issue being discussed here, prior to this discussion. I understand where your frustration, and that of others, may arise from.
What I hold on to, is that I agree 100% which each of these points:
A) There are many, many other sins as grave, or more so, than homosexuality.
B) Plenty of these are just as relevant to modern life, and valuable as discussion pieces in te public sphere and here on the forum.
C) These sins often get overlooked, while the gay issue gets singled out. It gets boring.
D) Homosexuals are not intrinsically evil, or worse than any other brand of sinner.

And even so, I don't think it's valuable to come down on people for speaking badly about homosexuality, as it is still a sin, and certainly one that is at the forefront of the "culture wars", call them what you will.

I think that a discussion on how this sin is best addressed, i.e., without a hateful, dismissive approach, and how the church can reach out to sinners of this sort in a realistic way would be more fruitful.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #369 on: August 15, 2011, 10:10:20 PM »

How bad was it (besides the above quotes)?  I could only make it through about 4 minutes before I had to turn it off (it's a snore-fest).

Father,

Really ugly stuff and ugly rationales. I dunno if it is worth your time.

It is sad to me. At least.

It gets worse the longer he goes on.

Speaking the true in love . . . indeed.

He is no Fr. Thomas Hopko. A man who takes a Orthodox stance with a nuanced and pastoral approach to the issue.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #370 on: August 15, 2011, 10:14:23 PM »

Father,

He is no Fr. Thomas Hopko. A man who takes a Orthodox stance with a nuanced and pastoral approach to the issue.
Fr. Trenham has a rather forensic approach to the matter of sex which blinds him in a number areas.  We've discussed him a number of times before.  He has a podcast on Ancient Faith Radio which isn't bad.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #371 on: August 15, 2011, 10:18:25 PM »

Can anybody confirm what is said here about Fr Trenham?

Message 250
at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,31512.msg502903.html#msg502903
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #372 on: August 15, 2011, 10:21:59 PM »

Can anybody confirm what is said here about Fr Trenham?

Message 250
at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,31512.msg502903.html#msg502903

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #373 on: August 15, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »

Jim can you do me a favor? In earnest. I mean really.

Listen to those two clips and let me know if you would want your children to be taught what he is saying.

I am not saying I think he is your spokesman. I want to know, if when the rubber meets the road, do you want this sort of Orthodox pastoral approach (really a rallying cry) to homosexuality?

I ain't saying this is your stance. I am trying to find some common ground. And if we can't agree that this message is poisonous. And inaccurate on more than a few matters. Then we certainly will NEVER see eye to eye on this.

I can't believe you would be not be at least disturbed a little by this Priest.

--------------------------------------------

We have very different personalties and backgrounds and ways of discourse.

I am sure you are a genuine man and I believe a loving husband and father and sincere Christian.

I am not sure how to handle the back and forths, due to the former. But know I respect you for the latter.

Forgive me, if I have caused you unnecessary agita. A little fire ain't bad. Guess, I am trying to meet you half way. //:=)

But some folks just ain't gonna jive. But I'll try my best to dial it back a notch or two on my end. As it seems you do get hurt by my words.

But bear with me, if possible.

No apology from you is needed. No harm. No foul. From my POV.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #374 on: August 15, 2011, 10:31:27 PM »

Father,

Fr. Trenham has a rather forensic approach to the matter of sex which blinds him in a number areas.  We've discussed him a number of times before.  He has a podcast on Ancient Faith Radio which isn't bad.

Haven't been privy. I check out those threads.

You seem to be taking a measured stance here Isa. You know I respect your opinion, when I can understand it.

The above audio clips, what is your opinion of them in of themselves.

Is this the message even close to what you think the OC should be sending out? And you know where he is simply wrong about the mechanics of homosexual sex. Much less his appeals to "secular" thought to back up his polemics.

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #375 on: August 15, 2011, 10:36:31 PM »

Listen to those two clips and let me know if you would want your children to be taught what he is saying.

I am not saying I think he is your spokesman. I want to know, if when the rubber meets the road, do you want this sort of Orthodox pastoral approach (really a rallying cry) to homosexuality?

I ain't saying this is your stance. I am trying to find some common ground. And if we can't agree that this message is poisonous. And inaccurate on more than a few matters. Then we certainly will NEVER see eye to eye on this.

I am sure you are a genuine man and I believe a loving husband and father and sincere Christian.

I am not sure how to handle the back and forths, due to the former. But know I respect you for the latter.

Forgive me, if I have caused you unnecessary agita. A little fire ain't bad. Guess, I am trying to meet you half way. //:=)

But some folks just ain't gonna jive. But I'll try my best to dial it back a notch or two on my end. As it seems you do get hurt by my words.

I haven't watched the videos.
When I said that I didn't think people should be attacked for speaking badly of homosexuality, I wasn't referring to this priest, I was referring to folks here on the forum, in the context of this argument. From what I'm hearing, it sounds like the guy, at least in these videos, is way out there. Not defending him at all.

RE: You and I, as I've said before, I always suspect that our backgrounds/personalities, etc., may not be quite as different as you imagine. Either way, know that my in depth personal defenses come from wanting to discuss with you on an even plain; I think there can certainly be value in our exchanges; you clearly have a mind, and a facility with words. I like to think I do. Basically, I don't want you to take me for a spoiled dilettante, because I fear you often do, and I don't think it helps us understand one another.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:36:53 PM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #376 on: August 15, 2011, 10:38:16 PM »

Father,

Haven't been privy. I check out those threads.

You seem to be taking a measured stance here Isa. You know I respect your opinion, when I can understand it.

The above audio clips, what is your opinion of them in of themselves.

Is this the message even close to what you think the OC should be sending out? And you know where he is simply wrong about the mechanics of homosexual sex. Much less his appeals to "secular" thought to back up his polemics.
I have to change computers.  this one doesn't support video.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #377 on: August 15, 2011, 10:49:07 PM »

When I said that I didn't think people should be attacked for speaking badly of homosexuality, I wasn't referring to this priest, I was referring to folks here on the forum, in the context of this argument. From what I'm hearing, it sounds like the guy, at least in these videos, is way out there. Not defending him at all.

I wasn't suggesting you were. I dunno the stomach you have, but I would like to know if you do listen (they ain't videos and he doesn't open up the floodgates for five minutes) what your reaction would be outside "thoughtful critique" (which I doubt would be very sympathetic) and more toward what if my children heard this.

Probably not worth the time in the end. You're Old Calendar, IIRC. Perhaps, not the best stuff to listen to.

If Old Calendar, have a joyful fast.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:56:10 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #378 on: August 15, 2011, 10:53:22 PM »

How bad was it (besides the above quotes)?  I could only make it through about 4 minutes before I had to turn it off (it's a snore-fest).

Father,

Thanks for the heads-up.  And thank you for having a higher value for my time than I usually do. Wink

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #379 on: August 15, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »

I wasn't suggesting you were. I dunno the stomach you have, but I would like to know if you do listen (they ain't videos and he doesn't open up the floodgates for five minutes) what your reaction would be outside "thoughtful critique" (which I doubt would be very sympathetic) and more toward what if my children heard this.

Probably not worth the time in the end. You're Old Calendar, IIRC. Perhaps, not the best stuff to listen to.

If Old Calendar, have a joyful fast.

Thanks, yes, our fast just began. Maybe I'll get to the vid at some point.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #380 on: August 15, 2011, 11:10:40 PM »

I watched the video(s).

I must say, I will never understand the whole "homosexual marriage undermines/obliterates/weakens/destroys/explodes/&c. the entire institution" argument.

Surely de facto marriage, no-fault divorce and rampant fornication rendered the martial institutions of the unbelievers pretty meaningless a long time ago?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #381 on: August 15, 2011, 11:14:12 PM »

I watched the video(s).

I must say, I will never understand the whole "homosexual marriage undermines/obliterates/weakens/destroys/explodes/&c. the entire institution" argument.

Surely de facto marriage, no-fault divorce and rampant fornication rendered the martial institutions of the unbelievers pretty meaningless a long time ago?

I'll never understand why some straight men are more obsessed with the possibility of anal sex than most homosexual men.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #382 on: August 15, 2011, 11:17:34 PM »

I watched the video(s).

I'll never understand why some straight men are more obsessed with the possibility of anal sex than most homosexual men.

Hmmm, Father did seem to suggest at one point that the pagan Greek homosexual practices were more acceptable because they did not include anal sex. Surely anal sex is not the sine qua non of the sin?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #383 on: August 15, 2011, 11:18:14 PM »

It was very funny to hear him rant with such passion against the more technical aspects of a homosexual relationship.  One can interpret this in many ways
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #384 on: August 15, 2011, 11:22:41 PM »

I watched the video(s).

Hmmm, Father did seem to suggest at one point that the pagan Greek homosexual practices were more acceptable because they did not include anal sex. Surely anal sex is not the sine qua non of the sin?

For most homosexual men it ain't much of an issue.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #385 on: August 15, 2011, 11:24:35 PM »

It was very funny to hear him rant with such passion against the more technical aspects of a homosexual relationship.  One can interpret this in many ways

The backwoods preacher ranting against porn who has the largest collection in the county to make sure he stays in touch with depths of sin in the world.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #386 on: August 15, 2011, 11:25:21 PM »

Just because there is one bad egg (that Priest) out there doesn't mean the whole crowd is bad...

Frederica Matthews Green:
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/frederica/gay_marriage

Fr. Joseph Honeycutt:
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/orthodixie/im_not_gay_i_was_drawn_this_way

Orthodox Church in America, 1992:
Men and women with homosexual feelings and emotions are to be treated with the understanding, acceptance, love, justice and mercy due to all human beings...Persons struggling with homosexuality who accept the Orthodox faith and strive to fulfill the Orthodox way of life may be communicants of the Church with everyone else who believes and struggles. Those instructed and counselled in Orthodox Christian doctrine and ascetical life who still want to justify their behavior may not participate in the Church’s sacramental mysteries, since to do so would not help, but harm them.
Assistance is to be given to those who deal with persons of homosexual orientation in order to help them with their thoughts, feelings and actions in regard to homosexuality. Such assistance is especially necessary for parents, relatives and friends of persons with homosexual tendencies and feelings. It is certainly necessary for pastors and church workers.

Clark Carlton:
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/carlton/the_naked_public_square_part_one_dont_ask_dont_tell

Steve Robinson:
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/stevethebuilder/orthodoxy_and_homosexuality_part_one
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/stevethebuilder/orthodoxy_and_homosexuality_part_two

I could go on... But just because a minority of Orthodox treat homosexual-leaning people like crap doesn't mean that everyone who is openly opposed to it does the same.

As I once recently heard in a podcast, nowhere in the Bible, and nowhere in our faith do you hear tolerance preached. But love is most certainly preached. We cannot, and we should not "tolerate" homosexuality. But we must love them, and "speak the truth in love", and help to show them the ascetical struggle they must undergo to battle their temptations.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #387 on: August 15, 2011, 11:25:51 PM »

I know some straight men. Do you know most homosexual men?
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #388 on: August 15, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »

I watched the video(s).

More precisely, it has further undermined the institution. The separation of marriage from parenthood was increasing; gay marriage has widened the separation. Out-of-wedlock birthrates were rising; gay marriage has added to the factors pushing those rates higher. Instead of encouraging a society-wide return to marriage, Scandinavian gay marriage has driven home the message that marriage itself is outdated, and that virtually any family form, including out-of-wedlock parenthood, is acceptable.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/660zypwj.asp?page=1

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #389 on: August 15, 2011, 11:43:32 PM »

I know some straight men. Do you know most homosexual men?

Guess I am going to have to get the studies. Isa might have them, as he has referenced this before.

And I have known a lot of gay men. Most don't really get into anal.

If you wan't to get more graphic about my knowledge, I can. But since we ain't private and I am not sure what adult behaviors are kosher to discuss graphically in an open forum, I leave it for now.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #390 on: August 15, 2011, 11:51:55 PM »

Anecdotally, I'm pretty sure most "practising" homosexual men engage in anal sex: not that I think that changes anything.

Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #391 on: August 15, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »

I remember listening to Fr. Josiah's sermon soon after it was uploaded to Youtube.  I remember listening to it and feeling very, very uncomfortable.  My "upbringing" as an Orthodox Christian has always been "traditional/conservative" and I have never heard a priest talk in such a way about a whole group of people.  I've heard some silly things from priests (and bishops!), but nothing so awful.  Honestly, I want to cry when I think about it.  We must remember that even priests are fallible and unfortunately, particularly here in North American, some converts from sectarian groups bring in a whole lot of baggage and impose it on the Church.  His approach is not Orthodox!  I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who struggles with the particular passion under discussion to meet him!  Lord have mercy....

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #392 on: August 15, 2011, 11:55:59 PM »

Check the blog "Pactum Serva" for more nuggets from the culture-warrior priest.
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #393 on: August 16, 2011, 12:15:22 AM »

I watched the video(s).

More precisely, it has further undermined the institution. The separation of marriage from parenthood was increasing; gay marriage has widened the separation. Out-of-wedlock birthrates were rising; gay marriage has added to the factors pushing those rates higher. Instead of encouraging a society-wide return to marriage, Scandinavian gay marriage has driven home the message that marriage itself is outdated, and that virtually any family form, including out-of-wedlock parenthood, is acceptable.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/660zypwj.asp?page=1

Thank you Isa. The article was eye-opening to say the least. I hope some others on this thread take the time to read it especially if they are assuming gay marriage will have no effect on the institution of marriage. Easy to ignore what one doesn't want to here if one is only listening to what our secular world tells us is correct.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:16:09 AM by Tamara » Logged
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #394 on: August 16, 2011, 12:39:48 AM »

I watched the video(s).

Thank you Isa. The article was eye-opening to say the least. I hope some others on this thread take the time to read it especially if they are assuming gay marriage will have no effect on the institution of marriage. Easy to ignore what one doesn't want to here if one is only listening to what our secular world tells us is correct.

Tamara, the weekly standard is a neoconservative, political, news opinion rag, unworthy of even being placed at the bottom of a bird cage. Beware of the truthfulness of its opinions and,  really, you should have noticed the leap of faith required to agree with the quote. Of course, just my opinion.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:40:46 AM by Opus118 » Logged
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #395 on: August 16, 2011, 12:42:59 AM »

How sad. I used to respect Fr. Trenham from what little I heard of him.

Well, he was muzzled by his bishop concerning birth control, so I'm sure he'll be censored here as well.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:43:31 AM by Volnutt » Logged
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #396 on: August 16, 2011, 12:53:06 AM »

I watched the video(s).

Tamara, the weekly standard is a neoconservative, political, news opinion rag, unworthy of even being placed at the bottom of a bird cage. Beware of the truthfulness of its opinions and,  really, you should have noticed the leap of faith required to agree with the quote. Of course, just my opinion.

The author of the article is Stanley Kurtz who is a research fellow at the Hoover Institution. This institution is a conservative think tank of Stanford University. Stanford University is a place of higher learning that values intellectual and political diversity which is an uncommon goal that lacking in many other institutions in our society.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:55:43 AM by Tamara » Logged
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #397 on: August 16, 2011, 01:50:43 AM »

Anecdotally, I'm pretty sure most "practising" homosexual men engage in anal sex: not that I think that changes anything.

If we're going by anecdotal evidence I know far more about my straight friends' sexual practices than I do of my gay friends'. Straight guys love giving the play-by-play and no, I really don't need to go back and see the instant replay (darn video phones). The most I ever heard from a gay man is "I got laid last night". TMI, yes, but not quite as TMI as the former.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #398 on: August 16, 2011, 02:24:06 AM »

Just because there is one bad egg (that Priest) out there doesn't mean the whole crowd is bad...

Fr. Joseph Honeycutt:

Men and women with homosexual feelings and emotions are to be treated with the understanding, acceptance, love, justice and mercy due to all human beings...Persons struggling with homosexuality who accept the Orthodox faith and strive to fulfill the Orthodox way of life may be communicants of the Church with everyone else who believes and struggles. Those instructed and counselled in Orthodox Christian doctrine and ascetical life who still want to justify their behavior may not participate in the Church’s sacramental mysteries, since to do so would not help, but harm them.
Assistance is to be given to those who deal with persons of homosexual orientation in order to help them with their thoughts, feelings and actions in regard to homosexuality. Such assistance is especially necessary for parents, relatives and friends of persons with homosexual tendencies and feelings. It is certainly necessary for pastors and church workers.

Clark Carlton:
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/carlton/the_naked_public_square_part_one_dont_ask_dont_tell

Steve Robinson:
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/stevethebuilder/orthodoxy_and_homosexuality_part_one
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/stevethebuilder/orthodoxy_and_homosexuality_part_two

I could go on... But just because a minority of Orthodox treat homosexual-leaning people like crap doesn't mean that everyone who is openly opposed to it does the same.

As I once recently heard in a podcast, nowhere in the Bible, and nowhere in our faith do you hear tolerance preached. But love is most certainly preached. We cannot, and we should not "tolerate" homosexuality. But we must love them, and "speak the truth in love", and help to show them the ascetical struggle they must undergo to battle their temptations.

Why did this post go ignored, and yet everyone seems to be stuck on a Priest who is clearly treating it the wrong way?

Do Orthodox who speak the truth (NOT referring to myself, but to those in the post i quoted) just get ignored because what they are saying is status quo, and those that are extreme get all the discussion because they are fringe and controversial?
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #399 on: August 16, 2011, 02:27:05 AM »

Fr. Joseph Honeycutt:

Clark Carlton:

Steve Robinson:

Why did this post go ignored, and yet everyone seems to be stuck on a Priest who is clearly treating it the wrong way?

Do Orthodox who speak the truth (NOT referring to myself, but to those in the post i quoted) just get ignored because what they are saying is status quo, and those that are extreme get all the discussion because they are fringe and controversial?
It seems everyone got too busy discussing...well...

These are sound, respectful presentations of what the church teaches, and they deserve a lot more attention than the one screwball...

To be fair, though, I think the reason Fr. Trenham's bit got so much play is because it illustrates quite well how not to present this issue, whether one believes it to be important, as I do, or not.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:30:16 AM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

« Reply #400 on: August 16, 2011, 04:40:38 AM »

I listened to the first part of Fr Josiah's lecture and honestly I don't know what you guys are talking about. He never expressed hatred for homosexuals. Rather, he said that calling their unnatural attractions for each other "love" is an act of hatred, just as whenever you express approval of someone else's sin. You are helping to lead them to damnation. And the part about "perverted old men loving little boys" is NOT a reference to homosexuals in general. He is clearly referring to pedophiles, in the context of his argument that approving gay marriage on the basis that we cannot legislate on love may in future make it hard to deny the claims to love of pedophiles. Now, I admit this argument is more rhetorical than logical ("slippery slope"), but he is certainly not trying to say all homosexuals are pedophiles. And throughout his focus was on the sinfulness of the actions, rather than the people.
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

« Reply #401 on: August 16, 2011, 05:45:11 AM »

Correction: I started listening to the second part and had to switch off when he got to the part about exchanging blood. I wonder why the immorality of certain sexual behaviors always has to be demonstrated with bogus medical claims. It's like saying masturbation is bad because it makes you go blind. More instances of Church dogma being held hostage to easily falsifiable empirical claims.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #402 on: August 16, 2011, 06:17:01 AM »

I was waiting for attribution for the stuff you posted.

Here are links, provided on another e-list....

"On public and easily accessible Internet postings, Orthodox clergymen --
including OCA priests --

repeat disgusting and discredited theories about
the etiology of same-sex attraction
http://www.monomakhos.com/2011/06/time-out-reset-and-reboot/#comment-7901

liken gay people to "old perverted men who love little boys"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LThOe7HBOM&feature=related

tell Orthodox Christians that homosexuality "should make our stomachs turn and make us vomit"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT3Nh7muQpE&feature=related

call for "spiritual warfare" against those in the Church who advocate a more
restrained pastoral approach
http://www.aoiusa.org/blog/2011/07/fr-alexander-f-c-webster-a-gauntlet-from-archpriest-alexis-vinogradov-wappingers-falls-ny/

and accuse those who speak up for gay people of being "homosexual
activists," publicly expressing hope that they will leave the Orthodox faith"
http://www.aoiusa.org/blog/2011/08/oca-bishop-matthias-reaffirms-orthodox-teaching-on-homosexuality/#comments

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:20:18 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #403 on: August 16, 2011, 09:15:21 AM »

As the son and brother of Orthodox priests, the comments and style of the priest in question truly burden my heart and my soul.

As to Bishop Michael, a life long neighbor, fellow altar server and friend, and Bishop Matthias, a long time friend, nothing in what they wrote, what they preach or how they live would be accepting of the rhetoric and bitter content of the cited videos.

We all know what the Church teaches us. Let go of this topic and move on.

Frankly the entire style and panoply of views set out at AOIUSA are such that I tell people who view it to find their information elsewhere. The Bishops collectively ought to look at them with the same scrutiny that they are viewing others, such as Stokoe's site.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:17:51 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Taxiarches

« Reply #404 on: August 16, 2011, 09:56:47 AM »

I watched the video(s).

I must say that I am totally of a different opinion. BTW, the bottom of the bird cage has been reserved for the New York Times, Newsweek, etc...for a long time now for many reasons, to include propagating the corrosive influence of modern liberalism on faith and culture. It does not take a leap of faith to grasp the truth of that quotation or article.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: